fendereh

altimeter watches

Suunto actually (two U's...it's Finnish I think).
Though I have to ask what you plan on using it for. I have a Vector and I love it, but I wouldn't use it as a skydiving altimeter, as that's not really what it's designed for. The numbers are smaller than on my actual altimeter and all it will tell you is your altitude. For the same money, you can get a decent digital altimeter specifically made for skydiving with digital logbooks and all sorts of other good stuff.

I didn't like my Suunto alti, sold it quickly again. The numbers were too small, lots of glare so hard to read while wingsuiting, too easy to press the button so you're looking at the air pressure in freefall :S

Bought a Neptune instead, never looked back.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I use the Suunto X-lander.
I'm very happy with it and use it now for almost 5 years.
Ok, the numbers are nt that big but more then big enough to read in freefall.
I like it especially for the accurancy under the canopy. It helps me, tougether with my Optima to make a good setup for the swoop

Here's something off of Suunto's website (note the bold and underlined text) talking about a skydiving team that uses one of their watches for skydiving.

"The Red Devils" and Suunto Vector

As with their parachute training, the Red Devils make no compromises when it comes to safety and equipment - only the very best will do. The Red Devils use Suunto Vector since 2005 as a secondary device. Although the product is not officially certified for skydiving use, Suunto altimeters have proven to be extremely accurate in thousands of jumps. Additionally the Vector just looks cool and we like the whole concept behind it.
...and you're in violation of your face!

I use an altimeter watch, and while I'm pretty happy with it I need to stress that I really do not recommend them to newer jumpers.

The numbers are small, and it can be difficult to read them.

I strongly recomend a more traditional altimeter for newer jumpers.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Alti-3's are pretty much the de-facto standard. http://www.square1.com/manufacturers/square1/p229.asp#AltimasterIIIGalaxy. There are different wrist bands available that may be more secure. http://www.square1.com/manufacturers/square1/p229.asp#AltimasterIIIReplacementWristbands

Also, take a look at the electronic ones like the Neptune http://www.square1.com/manufacturers/square1/p229.asp#Neptune or the Viso http://www.square1.com/manufacturers/square1/p229.asp#Viso.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

The Red Devils use Suunto Vector since 2005 as a secondary device. Although the product is not officially certified for skydiving use, Suunto altimeters have proven to be extremely accurate in thousands of jumps.

Is any altimeter officially certified for skydiving use? Don't think so in the US, but perhaps in Europe.

Here's something off of Suunto's website (note the bold and underlined text) talking about a skydiving team that uses one of their watches for skydiving.

"The Red Devils" and Suunto Vector

As with their parachute training, the Red Devils make no compromises when it comes to safety and equipment - only the very best will do. The Red Devils use Suunto Vector since 2005 as a secondary device. Although the product is not officially certified for skydiving use, Suunto altimeters have proven to be extremely accurate in thousands of jumps. Additionally the Vector just looks cool and we like the whole concept behind it.

That's pretty funny, I have used one for hundreds of jumps before, and I must say they are pretty INACCURATE in freefall.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.