windcatcher

Look who we just adopted!

His name is Yukon, he's one year old and he just had knee surgery about 5.5 weeks ago. He follows Chad and I everywhere in the house, chews on us constantly and sheds like crazy! :S We are supposed to limit his jumping and running, but with his personality, it's VERY hard to do that. :|

Anyway, I am so glad we got him from an animal hospital, rather than just buying a puppy from a breeder. I encourage anyone if you can, save a puppy from a shelter/animal hospital/animal rescue before considering buying one. It's so wonderful to know we have saved Yukon from a life of boredom, being put to sleep, etc.

He has GORGEOUS blue eyes that don't fully show their beauty in pictures, but here he is:)

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

What an adorable puppy! Good for you, for rescuing one instead of the other route. :)
Such a beautiful dog.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

I'm an animal person.

We have cats & dog.:P And there's always more to come...:D

I'm more that way too. I have a slight preference for cats, but I like dogs too (and even many reptiles and such like big snakes if they're friendly).

Thank you everyone! :)), even though I think I like malamuttes better because they look more like wolves, IMHO. ( Shh, don't tell Yukon! :))

He doesn't really know any commands yet ( and he's already a year! :o:|[:/]B|) so it's going to be interesting trying to train him. The hospital thought he got hit by a car and the people just drove off[:/], so I hope his leg heals completely. I am trying to post whore right now and he keeps nudging me with his nose:D. Grrrrrrrr. He also keeps putting his mouth around my arm, lol.

I hope he gets healthy, he is fairly skinny right now and is shedding a lot, but I expect us to fatten him up and help him get healthy.:)

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

He also keeps putting his mouth around my arm, lol.

don't let him do that... its a dominance behavior... :P

good luck with the training... I believe I remember reading once that huskies can be a challenge...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Cruzer was about 8 or 9 months when we adopted him and he didn't know any commands either.

I was SHOCKED:o at how quickly he picked things up. Dogs that are rescued know they were rescued, if you ask me, and want to please even more. He only had four accidents in the house before he understood he is supposed to potty outside. And all we said was a stern "No" when we'd catch him having an accident in the house--we don't use negative reinforcement. Instead, we'd just take him out mid-accident and then when he finished outside told him he was a good boy and gave him a treat. We took him outside really often, at first, and always gave him treats for going outside.

But, he knows: Sit. Stay. Come. Lay Down. High Five. Sit pretty. Load up (into the car). and of course, No. Ha!

He learned most of those w/in the first month.

You'll be surprised. I'm so exctied for you!:)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Gee thanks Scott! :|:P

Actually, I think it's just his puppy side. He is only a year and he is very playful...ALL THE TIME. :| We are still trying to figure out his dominating side vs. playful side.

that is a possibility as well... dogs tend to explore their world with their mouths...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Big dogs = lots of training! Huskies are awesome dogs but they need a lot of consistent commands and attention. They're also wanderers and need tons of exercise. Once his knee is healed, get on your bike and run him up down & sideways.

I know everyone make fun of the "Dog Whisperer" show, but the guy's got lots of great advice. I grew up with Dobermans and without becoming the pack leader (a big Cesar term - you'll know what I mean as soon as you watch the show), the boys would have been out of control. Since we laid down the rules early & consistently, they were fantastic companions. When my parents got older, they switched to little Pekingeses and all training went right out the door!!

He's a beauty! Congratulations!

If you got the time you can minimize the shedding by using the brush and remove the hair before it falls off.:)
If you got a vacumn cleaners with disposable bags get rid of it or you'll go broke and get one that has a cannister you can emptyB|

Exercise the dog a lot and he'll be to tired to get into trouble:)

We've adopted one dog lasy year and two more this year. Last night we found a good looking vizio sp? about a yr old on CL . But three's enough for now.....

Maybe and thats final:S:)

R.I.P.

--we don't use negative reinforcement. Instead, we'd just take him out mid-accident and then when he finished outside told him he was a good boy and gave him a treat.

Actually, it's called adverse conditioning. :)
Negative reinforcement would be if you beat him constantly until he went outside and pooped, and then you stopped beating. So, he would have a negative experience until the desired behavior was performed, and then the negative stimulus would be stopped. I wouldn't advise this training method.....

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

Thank you, Windcatcher, for rescuing. What a dear boy you have there - and I think his mouthing you is either play or attention-getting behavior. I don't have as much experience with dogs as I do with cats, so I can't help here...but I really wanted to say thanks for rescuing him.

And yes, his eyes are gorgeous!!!

Someday, I'll have a place where I can get a few dogs. 'Til then, I stick with cats - 6 indoor (all rescue and totally indoor), and 2 outdoor feral (feed and care for). But someday, I'll be able to have a couple of dogs, too...and that will be a blast!

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Sarah
I am happy that you and chad are rescue parents. I know that Christina and I would not have a dog any other way. congrats to you both and to the dog for now having a good home.
natasha said that she looks fwd to playing with yukon sometime soon.
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

Handsome beastB|

One small point [sorry].. I'd try to discourage the chewing bit.. might seem cute now......

Dogs are Ace.. we wouldn't be without one (actually 2 at the moment) in our house. They're great company and ensure that we get enough exercise.

Enjoy,

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome