Kimblair13

Rigger Seal Symbol

I thought you were THE

Nah, that's Tasouia (sp?) :S... you know the Japanese kid at Bob's that had like 2 or 3 mals because he'd forget to cock his pilot chute. :o

Anyway, there is probably some lucky bastard out there who got EFS as his (or her) seal number. ;)

RIP would be another good seal number if your into the black deathy stuff.

Some seal dyes are stamped too wide for the seal like mine is OJC, The dye maker could've done a better job and i almost sent it back. Mine is also not centered on the dye itself. I got used to it. Seals nowadays bought from paragear are a bit bigger than ones in the past, which made it easier for me.

Some seal dyes are stamped too wide for the seal like mine is OJC, The dye maker could've done a better job and i almost sent it back. Mine is also not centered on the dye itself. I got used to it. Seals nowadays bought from paragear are a bit bigger than ones in the past, which made it easier for me.

I was getting the 'larger' seals from Parachute Equipment Company. Maybe, I squeese them harder, I don't know but, I've never had a problem... even with the smaller seals.

Chuck

I dont know what my riggers seal letters are off the top of my head, but I sure know theres a skull and crossbones on the back side.

Is he a bit older? He could be harkening back to the 'Blue Skies... Black Death' days.:D

Chuck

I have the same problem, UGX, it never fits completely on the seal. It always bothers me when sealing a rig because it does not look perfect.

It sounds like the three of us got our ratings in the same deWolf course. I'm UYX.

The only time I have a problem is if I give it a weak squeeze. Give it an extra squeeze and it always works fine for me.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I ordered a die right from http://www.americancasting.com/info-seal-tools-bulldog-sp.asp and they had the letters slightly smaller then the ones from Paragear and all my letters fit on the seal with out an issue now. It was only like $15 for the die and since I got the press off eBay for I think $5 i thought it was well worth it. Cool thing is they will do designs for cheap so if you want a star, or an emblem or even a crossbones its only like $35-50 or so for simple custom work.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Thanks, will go to them next...

Meanwhile for those with stock Paragear seal/press... I've got the same issue, but made it a little better by putting a thin shim behind the seal die itself. That allows it to squeeze the seal a little more.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Hi Jim,

When I became a rigger back in early '65 I went to a local company & bought a seal press.

On one side is my symbol: HXO

And on the other side is my last name in an arc: BAUMCHEN

It all fits onto any lead seal that I have ever used.

I bought it from:

Irwin-Hodson Co.
2838 SE 9th Avenue
Portland, OR 97202
503-231-9990

They may still make them, I just do not know.

JerryBaumchen

" ... I've never come-up with anything for mine... OSI. ...

Chuck

"

Opening Shock Inhibitor - a device (briefly) fashionable on Rogallo canopies circa 1970.

OSIs were 4 inch wide pieces of webbing (lined with Teflon) that wrapped around the suspension lines, just below the skirt(?). Theoretically they would slowly un-wrap, to slow openings.

I only made 4 hop-and-pops on Delta 2, and every opening HURT! Talk about "eating your (chest-mounted) reserve!"

Thank god ... er ... Snyder and Yarbenet ... that ropes-and-rings were invented shortly thereafter, closely followed by sliders.

Chuck

"

Opening Shock Inhibitor - a device (briefly) fashionable on Rogallo canopies circa 1970.

OSIs were 4 inch wide pieces of webbing (lined with Teflon) that wrapped around the suspension lines, just below the skirt(?). Theoretically they would slowly un-wrap, to slow openings.

I only made 4 hop-and-pops on Delta 2, and every opening HURT! Talk about "eating your (chest-mounted) reserve!"

Thank god ... er ... Snyder and Yarbenet ... that ropes-and-rings were invented shortly thereafter, closely followed by sliders.

That works!:D I've read of them but have never seen them. Thanks!

One guy at our DZ came-up with... "Oh Shit... It's Chuck's!'

Thanks again, Rob!

Chuck

Chuck

"

Opening Shock Inhibitor -

Yea... a device that either causes the canopy to not open for several thousand feet, or failing its primary job, causes the canopy to slam open unexpectedly... I think I would stay with "Oh-Shit, Its Chuck's" ;);)
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Chuck

"

Opening Shock Inhibitor -

Yea... a device that either causes the canopy to not open for several thousand feet, or failing its primary job, causes the canopy to slam open unexpectedly... I think I would stay with "Oh-Shit, Its Chuck's" ;);)

After reading this, I am, enlightend! Good call! :D Maybe, I should re-think this.

Chuck