Kimblair13

Rigger Seal Symbol

IF there is a way to change it, I need to look into it or DEFINATLY look into a new press - my Symbol is -UBX- and unfortunatly the lead seal is not wide enough to hold such a mix of wide numbers, so I'm always either UBK or JBX
=========Shaun ==========

I've been told that you can turn in your rigger's symbol to the FAA for re-issuing if you don't rig any more. Dunno anything about whether you can request a different one.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I could see wanting a new seal assigned if you were the one that was assigned "ASS" among a few combos.

The DPRE locally was given 8 symbols to hand out to the canidates that passed. When he runs out, he gets another 8.

I might be in line for "SHE", if the timing works out.

Now I am confident about my own sexuality, but I don' know if I really want to be known as:

"Who packed your reserve?"

"SHE did".

When I got my ticket I was giving the choice from a list of about 20 different seal symbols...I picked UNK.

Yup. I was given a choice of about ten in a numerical string. I picked the middle option...S55 (that's sierra fifty five). It just looks cool to me.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

my Symbol is -UBX- and unfortunatly the lead seal is not wide enough to hold such a mix of wide numbers, so I'm always either UBK or JBX

I bought my seal and press from ParaGear, and the symbol fits on a typical seal, but it's close.

It seems that it should be the responsibility of the vendor to make sure the symbol fits on a seal. Perhaps they need to sell a bigger lead seal blank, or perhaps they need to make the seal impression a bit smaller. In either case, it doesn't seem to be a problem with the FAA issuing combinations that don't work. Try contacting the vendor that produced your seal press to see what they can do.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

my Symbol is -UBX- and unfortunatly the lead seal is not wide enough to hold such a mix of wide numbers, so I'm always either UBK or JBX

I bought my seal and press from ParaGear, and the symbol fits on a typical seal, but it's close.

It seems that it should be the responsibility of the vendor to make sure the symbol fits on a seal. Perhaps they need to sell a bigger lead seal blank, or perhaps they need to make the seal impression a bit smaller. In either case, it doesn't seem to be a problem with the FAA issuing combinations that don't work. Try contacting the vendor that produced your seal press to see what they can do.

I unscrewed one of the die on the press and put a washer underneath...that solved the problem of the seal not getting squished enough to display all of my symbol.
Miami

Reminds me of a rigger apprentice who bought a tool kit from a retired rigger (in Quebec).
That retired rigger packed dozens of reserves in Alberta and British Columbia.
Odd! Considering that he had never visited Alberta.
Eventually, we figured out what was going on the unlicensed rigger got drummed out of the skydiving business!

I like my rigger's number - S4B. He says it stands for "Shit 4 Brains" :D:D:D

Mine is T1T !! I am goind to keep it!!:)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I have the same problem, UGX, it never fits completely on the seal. It always bothers me when sealing a rig because it does not look perfect.

Squeeze a little harder!:D I purchased my seals through a supplier in Virginia and they are larger than those I've gotten through Para-gear. No problem getting all of my symbol on the seal.

Chuck