shermanator

flight school *for all you pilots*

ok, i know this is a skydiving forums. but hey, some of you aere pilots. I'm interested in becoming a pilot, would anyone please let me know about the career field, good flight schools, what to expect, and the sort. your help will be greatly appreciated.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

good flight schools,

Embry Riddle I heard is a great school.

what to expect,

Shitty hours and be paying for student loans until your 40. Aviation is a great field to be in and I wouldnt trade it for anything. It has its ups and downs but it the end I love what I do. Good luck on your trainning.B|
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

hmm you are in SOCAL? I would suggest finding an airport that is less congested, like do not go to John Wayne to learn, you will paying money while that engine is turning.

I actually used to flight instruct out of Brackett, it's in La Verne. It's called ADP. The planes are alot cheaper there but once you see the planes you will know why. Don't be afraid, planes glide well.

If you want a wham bam thank you ma'am course go to ALLATPS.com they have really good training and locations all over the place, but you will be paying more.

If you are looking to make aviation a career I suggest getting a degree in something aviation related, it helps.

Are you looking to stay in southern California? Do you want to fly for the airlines? Corporate? jump pilot?

http://www.jet-jobs.com has probably the best info regarding pilot careers.

The fastest way is to pay through the nose and go to one of the "big name" academies, Embry Riddle, Flight Safety, ATP, Comair, etc. It's not so much "what you know" as "who you know." When you go to the big academies with lots of connections, you pay to "know someone."

Otherwise PM me and we can get together at LGB or FUL and talk.

Blue Skies!

Harry Leicher
2004 CFI of the Year
FAA Western Pacific Region
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

If you're starting from scratch and get a chance to do go to Europe, do so. Almost all the major airlines have initio programs whrere you'll be sitting in the copilots seat of a 737 or the A320 Family and start earning a good amount of money within 2-4 years.

The only barriers are:
1. You need to pass the (tough) screenings- but there are schools which can prepare you.
2. You will need a work permit or maybe even citizenship of a european country.

I know Qantas in Australia do the same thing.

Check out ppjn.com (professional pilots job network)!

You'll find all carriers worlwide, their demand of pilots, and how they recruit and pay you etc. on that website.

It's a cool job, good Luck Dude!

Mike

Be prepared for many years of low pay, shitty hours and no respect.

Personally, I'd like to know whar career field doesn't start out this way? Do what you're passionate about; the money will come later.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

If youre going for your private lic, I think its best to do it privately to save your school money for your intrument, commercial, and type ratings. You can do your own provate pilot ground schooling from a book and videos and get an instructor to sign you off for the written. Once thats done, then start in with the money for your actual flight training. Why pay a school to teach you the stuff that you can easily learn on your own. Check out Gleim for practice books and KIng Aviation for books/videos. They'll cost you something but are much less than school AND books both. Or use the real budget method I used and hit the library for the books until youre close to the test, then buy the practice test book.