mbondvegas

MLW Measurement Points

Well I don't know about measuring points but I read something valuable on here a few weeks ago and actually wrote it down to remember it.
Your MLW length is measured by taking your height (in inches) minus your inseam minus 20. Its a rough measurement, but that should get you close. I'll try to find the original post...

Your MLW length is measured by taking your height (in inches) minus your inseam minus 20. Its a rough measurement, but that should get you close. I'll try to find the original post...

A VERY rough guide that does not work for all.
Find the "V" at the centre top of your chest (base of neck) from there measure down to the tip of your hip bone. should measurte between 14" and about 21" depending on height.
Mine is 21" I'm not tall at all but my torso is long for my legs
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I took a photo for you as it's easier than explaining it, but basically its from the bottom of the three ring to the top of the hip ring. If the rig isn't articulated its to the top of the hip junction.

The rig here has a MLW measurment of 15 inches even though the photo is a bit skewed . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Thanks, I know how to measure my size, but not the rigs...

that size will be written on the rigs label, like C17. now sure how to physically measure it on the rig though
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

that size will be written on the rigs label, like C17. now sure how to physically measure it on the rig though

I have a Javelin and Dolphin and do not see such a label on either.
- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

Newer Javelins do that. C for yoke, 17 for MLW. Older ones just give you a yoke size.

Dolphins just show a size like a tshirt - L(arge), M(edium), etc..
http://www.altico.com/dolphindetails.htm

Newer Javelins do that. C for yoke, 17 for MLW. Older ones just give you a yoke size.

OLDER Javs do it too, mine Jav was a 1993 J1
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

J1 is the container size. C17 or similar is the harness size... Unless you mean to tell me that you have super wide shoulders and a super short torso :)

cya

J1 is the container size. C17 or similar is the harness size... Unless you mean to tell me that you have super wide shoulders and a super short torso :)

cya

RE read my post, I had a 1993 J1, whuich has the C17 measurements on it it's NOT a newer Jav, Sunpath have been doing it like that for over a decade
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

RE read my post, I had a 1993 J1, whuich has the C17 measurements on it it's NOT a newer Jav, Sunpath have been doing it like that for over a decade

:) I am sorry, your post only stated J1. Or at least that's all that I am seeing.

Either way, I had a 1993 Jav that only stated a yoke size. So i s'pose "much older" would have been an easier statement. Regardless, Nick showed spot on how to measure the MLW.

lets keep arguing though. I love the internet.

Sorry for bringing on an old subject, but this method does not fully comply with this which is shown in the Riggers Manual (see 7-69).
Currently I'm helping someone to buy a rig and trying to figure out how to measure MLW with hip rings.

regards
Janusz
Edit: problems with attachment
http://i44.tinypic.com/2z7ebt0.jpg
Back to Poland... back home.

Different manufacturers use different methods to measure MLW length.

For example, Rigging Innovations measures from the bottom bar on the 3-ring to the bottom of the MLW webbing (assuming hip rings).
On the other hand, Relative Workshop/UPT starts at the same point on the 3-Ring, but measures to the bottom of the hip ring.

Mirage Systems:
We've had so many customers ask us just what the numbers on the inside of their ring cover info mean in regards to our sizing so here is a quick quide to better understand our sizing. This rough guide is considering that you have a hip and chest ring harness. If you have a standard or old style hip ring harness the main lift web number will be roughly 1.5 inches longer.

Typically there are three numbers and will look similar to 16.5, 16, +.5

The first number is the length of your main lift web in inches. A good reference (but rough guide) to go by for the MLW length is this if you have a hip and chest ring harness:

HEIGHT MLW

5'3"-5'5" 14"

5'6"-5' 7" 15"

5'7"-5'8" 15.5"

5'9" 16"

6' 17"

The second number is the length of your leg pad in inches.

And the third number is the length of your "stabilizer" or "lateral" as shown below compared to a standard measurement. +.5 means we add 1/2 of an inch to our standard measurement.

You may see one more measurement which is your shoulder extension. That is the length of material that goes from your yoke or neck area up to your 3 ring. The shoulder extension will be longer for thick chested people as the material to cover that distance will be longer. Again, that measurement will be + or - a number compared to our standard. +1 would be a large shoulder extension for thick chested men. That number is always last.