crotalus01

Bungee pilot chute

Bungee PC's have too many issues.

Like what?
I've been using one for years and never had a problem at all with it, even at low alti deloyments and at low speeds deployments it has worked 100% of the time for the last 12 years, same PC.

Where as the kill line is showing wear and will need replaced soon and is only 6 six years old. I think I will make another bungee to replace it.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Biggest drawback of using a bungee is that you get used to it working for hundreds of jumps, and when you make the switch to kill-line you are not anymore in the habit to cock it. That will get you in more problems than a bungee ever will.

So in your case I would suggest to stick with the kill-line, it really is a better solution, as long as you know how to use it. The trick Hooknswoop tells works really well, get that part in your packing routine.
I have myself used a bungee for around 200 jumps with no problems whatsoever, doing 700m hop'n'pops or frontrisering till my arms bled.
If you cant afford a kill-line, a bungee will give your old slow big canopy a little bit more speed for best-bang-for-buck $. But ask your rigger how to dial it in.
chris

Like what?

They will inflate during aggressive maneuvers with a HP canopy.

The bungee cord's elasticity changes over it's life so that the PC inflates and deflates at differing airspeeds.

The PC may not inflate immediately during an emergency, low-altitude/low-airspeed exit.

They are difficult to set up with the correct length of bungee so that they inflate/deflate at the airspeeds you want.

They don't deflate as the canopy comes out of the bag, so they influence how the canopy opens.

I put a bunch of jumps on one too.

Derek

They will inflate during aggressive maneuvers with a HP canopy.

Ok that one I'll give ya, if you jump a canopy like that, I don't so not a problem.

The bungee cord's elasticity changes over it's life so that the PC inflates and deflates at differing airspeeds.

The PC may not inflate immediately during an emergency, low-altitude/low-airspeed exit.

Hasn't been a problem in the low alti, low speed bail outs I have done ( 182 & D-18 engine out, 1,400ft & 1,200 ft), nor has the speeds changed any real amount over the 12 years I have been using the same pc and I'll H&P it anyday at a low alti or smoke it down to the basement with it, but that is me.

They are difficult to set up with the correct length of bungee so that they inflate/deflate at the airspeeds you want.

We have to agree to disagree here, I haven't found that hard to build one to work as I would like it to.

They don't deflate as the canopy comes out of the bag, so they influence how the canopy opens.

Maybe true for super HP canopies, but never had a problem with it influence my openings.

So as we can see here there are two camps on this issue. IMHO there is nothing wrong with a bungee PC however it may not be the best choice if your jumping a 20ft VXZKY super swooper!:P For me and my two sabre one's 170s they work just fine and have served me well over the years. (Your results may very).;)
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Like what?

Derek

If you are that low and slow, you should really go for the silver.

Otherwise:
If you are using a HP canopy, then you should really really know what the difference is between a bungee and kill-line. And if one probably is that stupid they havent figured that out, they most likely is jumpin kill-line anyway because it's alot cooler.
Kill-lines change over time too as the microline shrinks.
Difficult to set up?! Set it loose, jump, watch the pilot while doing some turns high up. Does it inflate, tie it in a bit. Does it not, leave it.
And the last one. Sure it can affect openings, just the same as those pilots that doesnt collapse or springloaded pilots.

So...still, cheapmans upgrade if you got a big slow old boat, and you should not use it with HP canopies or small ones with high WL. Other than that, you are good to go.
chris

Bungees have been out there for years, I used one myself for 1000 jumps - but the industry as a whole has abandoned them and for good reasons - they do have a lot of issues.

Just like velcro - works great when it works, but the bottom line it is not a good thing and there are better replacements and solutions out there

I have my Talon with a bungee, so I asked Sandy Reid at Quincy "What was the normal life span of a pilot chute?" He said 600 to 700 jumps . I asked was 1300 to many ? he said "Does it work OK ?"I replied just fine. I could sell you a new one but why bother. I saw him again at Rantual years later . "How many in the pilot chute now ?" he asked 2000 can I see it ? he then moved the knot up 1/2 inch.and would I send it to him when I retire it to show to his rigging class.At 2300 it was on its way.I was asked if I would be comfortable at 4500 feet as a IAD student jumper for a friends certification. The lowest I ever got out with one was at1500 and no problem. People shouldnt try to stay up the night before jumping trying ti think up new things to worry about. JUST DO IT.

If you want to do wingsuit jumps later on, don't switch to a bungee pilotchute.

Can you remind me why bungee is not recommended for wingsuit?

People forget that although you may have a 50MPH fall rate in a wingsuit, that comes from the lift that goes with > 100 MPH of forward speed which gets you back to normal freefall speeds.

They also forget that a properly calibrated bungee pilot chute should have enough drag to deploy you at Cessna hop-and-pop speeds (I've heard 45 MPH).

In practice, bigger reasons to avoid them are manufacturing errors which result in the bungee not inflating at low enough speeds and properly manufactured units inflating at contemporary canopy speeds resulting in premature planeout. Things got wonky for me when I got my Batwing 134 and I switched to kill-line collapsibles.

Would'nt the reason for not using them with wingsuit be that you are creating a larger burble behind, and as the bungee pilot is already collapsed and stay so until the bridle is stretched it will not catch the air as easily as an uncollapsed kill-line pilot?

Just some thoughts: Is an already collapsed pilot less likely to knot and choke itself when you pitch it than an uncollapsed pilot?
I know this is a freak occurance, but I have personally seen it twice, and I know of one fatality when a pilot choked itself. Not ever going to change back to bungee because of this rare reason, but just wondering.
chris

Bungee PC's work just fine. Like all skydiving gear they have their advantages and disadvantages.

Kill line PC's have issues as well .

If a bungee PC is set up well and the bungee replaced regularly well before it gets weak it will work everytime just like a kill line PC;)
If you hopnpop with nil airspeed eg from a balloon you're gonna tow it till you get some speed up.

I'm a bit sick of my kill line PC and after doing some jumps ona bungee P?C liked its simplicity and lower packing hassle.

6 of one half a dozen the other

Would'nt the reason for not using them with wingsuit be that you are creating a larger burble behind, and as the bungee pilot is already collapsed and stay so until the bridle is stretched it will not catch the air as easily as an uncollapsed kill-line pilot?

Your PC should be in clean air, and the recomended 9' bridle should help it get there, but sometimes they bounce around. A bungee would not be good there.

Have a rigger look at your kill line length. They shrink with time. Decocked can also mean many things, if it's just slipping an inch out of the window it's an inconvenience not a hazard. The only time I've had a kill line uncock is when I roll pack because the attachment point at the apex is less than ideal and tends to pull on the line. It's no big deal to recock your pilot chute after bagging. Don't simply cock after bagging without cocking before, there's a chance the kill line will grab some fabric and offer some resistance if you do.

jimjumper

Good luck trying to find one. After 2000 jumps on mine with zero problems, the lower mesh finally tore and I decided to replace it. I tried six gear dealers and even posted on here trying to find one with no luck. Let me know if you find one.

You could easily convert a standard p/c if you really wanted one.