katrina

Safety news from Ukraine

>:(
Attention all America's skydivers!! If you are dealing with Ukrainian skydivers and dropzones, be aware of fraud!! As I was told by one of Ukrainian skydiver, It is widely exceptable among Ukrainian skydivers to change DOM and SN of skydive gears on later dates--"doctoring" gear to prolong its life. I was told that by Sergei Ostapenko-- president of Ukrainian skydiveclub" Graal", from Sevastopol. Make sure you check all gear if you allowing Ukrainian skydivers use your dropzones. Need details?, please write me. Did you have negative experience yourself??

What a credibility...

If that country has rules specifying a limited life span for gear, regardless of usage, I don't have any problem believing that some people would doctor info on older gear to keep it in service longer.

Try that kind of limitation in America, and it'll happen here too.

I much prefer practical airworthiness tests, to an arbitrary life span.

Even if one Ukrainian jumper would doctor with that and jump in the US with his rig. Does it even matter? I thought the local laws apply and not those of home country. So airworthyness and not age is important.

Try that kind of limitation in America, and it'll happen here too.

I once heard about a jumper entering a false repack date on a reserve data card. I can't remember if it was a Ukranian or a Texan. But that was probably just a rumor. ;)

Kevin K.

Even if one Ukrainian jumper would doctor with that and jump in the US with his rig. Does it even matter? I thought the local laws apply and not those of home country. So airworthyness and not age is important.

the laws of the country of the jumper usually apply (for example for us Europeans, mostly our repack dates count, or we can jump "different" rigs like Parachutes de France in the US). There might be a subtle mix of rules and how the rules are applied. In any case, the DZO has the last word
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I once heard about a jumper entering a false repack date on a reserve data card. I can't remember if it was a Ukranian or a Texan. But that was probably just a rumor. ;)

Kevin K.

C'mon Kevin! That could NEVER happen :$
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Well... This post has created quite a stir on one of the most popular (if not THE most popular) russian-speaking skydiving forum, which happens to be -- you guessed it -- Ukranian. :) The bottom line is that, even though SOME occurences of tampering with the DOM and SN's on the equipment do exist, it's not even close to being "widely acceptable". Most of these incidents relate to the old (and I mean REALLY old) military equimpent, which is still used at some places -- I am talking about round canopies and some of the first models of square ones). Chances for any of that equipment to show up on American DZ's is... well, I'd say below zero. :) Besides, please DON'T jump into conclusions about the skydiving in the whole country based on some hearsay post. It's pretty much the same as claiming that all American skydivers need to be extra-scrutinized because SOME of them do occasionally pencil-pack their reserve... Please, people, use your common sense!

To katrina -- I would strongly suggest thinking twice about posting such crap in these forums. While your personal concerns may be understandable, the information you are giving to the audience has pretty much nothing to do with the reality... >:(

--------------
We were not born to fly. And all we can do is to try not to fall...

hello, it was first hand information from president of Ukrainian skydiving club " Graal", Serei Ostapenko, Ret. Colonel. He showed System Monarch, Raven, reserve and several Cypreses. he doctored himself. Not an old military equipment!!! More likely nobody going to show up in America with gear like that, but concern is that his words were "it is widely acceptable", not mine. But from replies I got I am OK with the fact that in my country--America skydivers have airworthy equipment. Yes, I know My post got some resonance and lifted some conversation but safety is first, people lives are in question when president above club sending his skydivers up on the air with doctored equipment. Do you want to send your child to skydive to his club?? Thanks for reply, very important and intresting conversation for all of us. I contacted several officials from Ukraine Federation, I think they will make sure above situation will be discussed among Ukrainian skydivers, and it's all what I wanted, not a make a stir, but make aware and discuss. Katrina.

the laws of the country of the jumper usually apply (for example for us Europeans, mostly our repack dates count, or we can jump "different" rigs like Parachutes de France in the US). There might be a subtle mix of rules and how the rules are applied. In any case, the DZO has the last word

I think actually the opposite is correct. If you're jumping in American airspace, then FAA rules apply. There just happens to be an FAA rule that exempts visiting skydivers from various equipment requirements so long as the equipment still complies with similar equipment requirements from their home country. It is for this reason that you are allowed to keep your 6-month repack cycle and jump PdF gear in the US when jumping as a visitor.

A word about that... Yes, some in Ukraine people do change the DOM, but for buerocratic purposes only. The head of the DZ is aware of the gearstate, and if its in bad shape, you will not use it. This is done because its pretty pointless to throw out a canopy that's more then 10 years old, but only has about 150 jumps. If it was laying on a shelf for 8 years, then after a tune-up, its very jumpable.