pilotdave

PD Optimum 143 vs MicroRaven 120?

I have a Reflex (size R250 I think). Currently holds a MicroRaven 120. I'd like to put an Optimum 143 in it. I've seen some posts from people that replaced PD 126s with Optimum 143s. So maybe the best question is how does the MicroRaven 120 compare pack-volume-wise to the PD 126?

Anyone have any idea if it'll fit? I did email Trident, but I doubt they have any clue. Are they even still in business?

Dave

PIA lists MR-120 as 287 sq in, PD-126 as 296 sq in. I suspect the Optimum will fit with no problem at all.

I would strongly suggest replacing the MR120 as soon as possible (unless the jumper is under 100 lbs.) They do not handle loadings much over 1:1 well.

They're not great by any means but they're not that bad. I've got 4-5 jumps on MR 120's - they flare fine as long as you come in with a bit of speed. The Dash-M 109 I jumped was far worse - it had no flare at all.. I'm about 155 out the door.

All in all I prefer my Tempo's and my PD's. Don't own one but Smart's aren't bad either...

Thanks Bill. That bad, huh? I load it around 1.2 (never had to use it).

Ok, next question. Anyone bought an optimum reserve recently? What's the going price? Few gear dealers list it on their sites, and the ones that do say call for a quote. Anyone shopped around?

Dave

I just replaced a Tempo 120 with a Optimum 143 2 weeks ago for a guy at our dropzone. The Tempo was a tight fit in his Infinity and the Optimum fits perfectly. It definitely has less pack volume than the Tempo 120. It is definitely made out of some very cool material.

Thanks Bill. That bad, huh? I load it around 1.2 (never had to use it).

Ok, next question. Anyone bought an optimum reserve recently? What's the going price? Few gear dealers list it on their sites, and the ones that do say call for a quote. Anyone shopped around?

Dave

Dave,
Retail on the Optimum is $1,380.00 and I think everyone is selling pretty close to retail on these.

Mark Klingelhoefer

I just replaced a Tempo 120 with a Optimum 143 2 weeks ago for a guy at our dropzone. The Tempo was a tight fit in his Infinity and the Optimum fits perfectly. It definitely has less pack volume than the Tempo 120. It is definitely made out of some very cool material.

This is somewhat odd. Typically, I've felt that Micro Ravens and Tempo 120's packed a little smaller than PD113R's, so we sized our I-1-SN reserve container around the 113, knowing that the 120's woudl fit nicely. I packed an Optimum 143 into one last week and it fit nicely, although just a touch larger than a standard 113 (maybe 3%?). Unfortunately, I don't have my rig handy to do a side by side comparison. I don't kow if I would say that the OP143 packs smaller than the Tempo/Micro Raven 120's though. But we all know that not all parachutes of the same make/model pack exactly the same anyway, so....:)

Well I guess I should have also stated that I was not the rigger that packed the tempo in the the Infinity. So I retract the statement on it packing smaller than the Tempo 120. And replace it with I can pack it smaller than the previous rigger could pack the Tempo 120.;) The container was a old Infinity (Northern Lights) not sure of the year I would have to pull my log book. The model was a sprite I think or something like that.

I got my new sweet Wings rig with a PD126R, and I have never seen my rigger sweat and swear so much, but he got it closed however you can see it is very tight and the rig is not as comfortable as it should be.
So I ordered a Optimum 126 after reading PD's FAQ that they stated that the Optimum packs as the next size down PD-R, thinking that this should not only give my rigger a better life but also the snug fitting kickass looking rig I was after in the first place without comprimizing reserve size.
But reading these posts, maybe I should have gone for the Optimum 143?
Have I screwed up?! I'm sure PD will swap it for me, but shipping back and forth to Sweden is taking time, and money. Canopy is already on the way.

Sorry for borrowing this thread a bit ;)

chris

I respectfully disagree. Some of my teammates have Optimum 143s packed up in V306 Microns (which are sized for PD113 reserves). In fact I packed one of them a month or two ago and didn't have any problem bagging it or closing the container. I really think that it should be fine.

In this pic, one of the V306s w/ an Optimum 143 is the video guy and the other is the guy in the bottom right of the formation.

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

I have 2 V306s and I have 2 Optimum 126s.

I am a rigger.

It's really tight. I mean really tight. I have had problems (not bagging) closing the container without excessive force. I wouldn't want to pack an Optimum 143 in there (although I haven't tried). Optimums pack a little smaller, but they are not forgiving, and in my V306s, they pack like a brick.

Just my $0.02
CSPA D-1046 TI Coach2 RiggerA JM SSI SSE GCI EJR Canadian 102-way record holder
bard.ca

I've had the same experience with my Mirage G4 MT sized for a PD126R. Here in Dallas its a bit drier than it was at my previous DZ. I swapped out the 126R for an Optimum 126 and it fits great. It is not to loose and actually packs about a half size down and the rig does not feel like a brick. Your Wings will probably feel the same. The Optimum 143 would probably fit but maybe it would give your rig the same brick like feeling it had with the PD126R. Your rigger will have an easier time packing and closing your container with the Optimum 126.

My Mirage has got a nice clean flat profile now and has that nice wedge shape on the side with the Optimum 126 in it. As I said earlier, it feels great on my back now and has a lighter feeling around my neck area and upper back. My rigger like it now as he has an easier time with it.

I also have a Micron310 sized for a PD143R that I have an Optimum143 in with the same results.

I replaced my Micro Raven 150 with a PD-143R non-Optmium that I purchased (from ZHills staff, if IIRC). I don't have the pretty peny for an Optmium, but I certainly feel safer with a PD143R at the ready. Pack volume of a normal 90's-era PD143R seems ever so *smidgen* bigger than a Raven Micro 150.

I still have my Optmium hiding in storage. It's slowly becoming a closet queen. Unless I get a second rig and I have no other reserve.