jerb

First time rig- advice on Canopy please!

Could some experienced jumpers please give me some advice: I am buying a complete rig having completed AFF and my FS1 and am going to be doing a lot of jumping this year. I am ordering a Rig and am going to get either a Spectre or Sabre 2 170. I have read the reviews of both and from what I can see both are good, but can anyone advise me on which I should choose? I will get another 60 odd jumps in Sept and quite a few more by the end of the year. Many Thanks! :S

It's pretty hard to give advice to you when your Profile is not completed. How are we to know your weight, experience level, etc?

exactly.

i have flown a sabre and a spectre. both are excellent. but the sabre will smack the hell out of you every once in a while. spectre is very forgiving, great opener and flyer.
Step into my (sub)terminal Playground

but the sabre will smack the hell out of you every once in a while. spectre is very forgiving, great opener and flyer.

Oh, and the Spectre can smack the hell out of you every once in a while too. Actually, any canopy can smack the hell out of you every once in a while.

To the OP - the correct answer to your question is whichever one you prefer to fly and land. The only way to answer that question is to fly and land as many different canopies as you can - demo, demo, demo. You can get demo canopies from most manufacturers or through gear stores.

Don't limit yourself to one company's products. PD makes great canopies, I love my Spectre and have no desire to jump any other canopy, but. There are other companies out there (Aerodyne, Icarus, Precision, etc) that also make great canopies (Triathlon, Pilot, Safire2, Fusion, etc.). You'll only find out if one of them is better for you by jumping them.

Could some experienced jumpers please give me some advice: I am buying a complete rig having completed AFF and my FS1 and am going to be doing a lot of jumping this year. I am ordering a Rig and am going to get either a Spectre or Sabre 2 170. I have read the reviews of both and from what I can see both are good, but can anyone advise me on which I should choose? I will get another 60 odd jumps in Sept and quite a few more by the end of the year. Many Thanks! :S

I would suggest getting a demo of each canopy your looking to buy, also talk to your ST&A, and Inst and get there advice on canopies.

My suggestion would be to look at the following canopies over and above the ones your already thinking of.

Triathlon
Pilot

Get in touch and I'll help you with the right contact to get demo's on these canopies.

Blue Skies
Karl

A Sabre is different then a Sabre2.

yes i know.

demoing canopies is what i did, it is very inexpensive and a great way to choose a canopy. talk to your instructors, they will have some great advice too.
Step into my (sub)terminal Playground

aerodyne carl guy is really knowledgable and he takes care of you as far as demos.

i like the pilot a lot from aerodyne, i also like the sabre2 also so either one of them are great canopies.

i think the pilot has a little better openings but i think thats opinion.

i fly crossfire's and the safire2 is a good canopy too.

i also understand the fusion is good but i have never jumped it.

i think the pilot and the sabre2 stand out in their own class i would demo each one a bunch and then choose.

i like the pilot for openings and i thinks it has a slightly bit better flare and openings but the sabre2 will stay in a dive more and seems to be a bit faster.

i think the pilot and sabre2 are awesome.

chris

Some people have issues with getting the Sabre2 to open on heading, but good packing can correct this.

I know new jumpers who jump Pilots, Sabre2, Spectres and Silhouettes, and all are very happy. 7-cells, like the spectre or the triathlon will generally glide shorter than 9-cells like Pilot, Sabre or Silhouette, but spectre is known for it's nice, soft openings, and is a very easy canopy to fly.

I fly a Sabre, and I think that's a good canopy too. People say that it can open hard "every now and again", but I have to disagree. At least when it comes to my sabre. It opens hard if I mess up the slider, or forget to set it properly. Pack it properly, and it opens fine. The sabre is also very square and stable, and very easy to fly and land, a very good beginner's canopy, IMHO. And you can get them very cheap.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Since you mention FS1, I assume you are in the UK? In which case I recommend that as you are planning 'lots of jumps' this year you get a second hand main (which are fine!) so that you have enough dosh left over for a plane ticket to Spain or the US as it doesn't look like we are going to get a lot of jumps in in this country this year! >:(:P:)
Alternatively you may be minted, in which case buy new and enjoy the packing... B|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.