maurice1369

HELMET???

I have a pretty important issue going on in my brain in regards to a open faced or full faced helmet. See I wear prescription glasses to correct my near sightedness and I am worried that if I keep jumping with an openfaced helmet I will lose some of my depth perception. I have been pretty good with my landings up to this point but I am interestd in trying out for the Golden Knights and I know they are BIG on always nailing their landings. I would like to get some fellow skydivers opinion on this. Should I stay with the openfaced helmet and try to just work out the kinks or should I go with the fullfaced helmet and jump with my glasses which corrects my vision to a crisp 20/15 accuity. I am not sure right now but a few helpful opinions would be great.
EXPECT THE WORST, HOPE FOR THE BEST!!!

I have a pretty important issue going on in my brain in regards to a open faced or full faced helmet. See I wear prescription glasses to correct my near sightedness and I am worried that if I keep jumping with an openfaced helmet I will lose some of my depth perception. I have been pretty good with my landings up to this point but I am interestd in trying out for the Golden Knights and I know they are BIG on always nailing their landings. I would like to get some fellow skydivers opinion on this. Should I stay with the openfaced helmet and try to just work out the kinks or should I go with the fullfaced helmet and jump with my glasses which corrects my vision to a crisp 20/15 accuity. I am not sure right now but a few helpful opinions would be great.

Keep the open faced helmet, get a set of over-the-glasses goggles (about $20), and be sure to tighten them down because they blow off more easily than smaller conventional goggles.

Speaking from experience, this is really preferable to landing down-wind because you can't tell which end of the windsock is skinnier than the other.

For the record . . . perfect vision and binocular vision aren't actually as important to depth perception as one might initially think.

I know more than one skydiver with PRO ratings with sight in only one eye. When I hear people talk about minor vision defects affecting their accuracy, I have to kinda chuckle.

If your vision is good enough see which way a windsock is blowing from 1000ft, then it's more than good enough to ensure an accurate landing.

That said, seeing better is always a good thing.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

binocular vision aren't actually as important to depth perception as one might initially think.

No binocular vision, no depth perception

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Binocular vision only affects depth perception the last 33 to 36 feet (ten or eleven meters).
Beyond that range (36 feet), most people measure distance by calculating how big the item is.

Like I told a pretty girl - long time ago - "F$#@! fashion! Wear your glasses because we are tired of seeing you bruise yourself on every landing."

I got a Bonehead Havoc helmet because it was the only full-face that would fit over my glasses and extra-large jaw.
Now several other companies make full-face helmets large enough to fit over glasses.

Most of the time I wear racquetball or basketball glasses. I need the extra-strong frames to compensate for loving students slamming my head into the doorframe!
Hee!
Hee!

Finally, remember that the smaller the frames - on your prescription glasses - the easier it is find helmets and goggles that fit over top.

There are 10 or so cues to determining depth. Without binocularity (both eyes working together), you have no stereopsis (3D movies, 'magic' pictures, etc). But even with one eye closed you can still perceive depth based on relative size, distance, etc.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

yep, no 3d, no magic.. i'm pretty blind on my left eye, especially without glasses. and i hardly ever wear them for sports. rights about normal sight. doesnt affect my flare, i land like shit anyways! B|

but still alright with guessing distances, plus i know ground when i see some.. :P

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

My opinion is this,If you want a helmet,for what ever reason it might be,Ie. non lasik-able corneas,may you just like your specs., A helmet that I enjoy,because Iam a dork and like my specs,and dont give a damn Is the Havoc,.Great build quality,great fit,goes over the shades wonderfully,I hope this helps... SFGould

It's a little farther than that, 18ish feet, but is going to depend on the how the person is built too... people with big melon heads and wider interpupillary distances would have a little more, smaller interpupillary distance would have a little less range.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I got a Bonehead Havok recently for the exact reasons mentioned in this thread. I haven't jumped it yet, but I am happy that I can wear it over my glasses without trouble.

For what it is worth, I ordered mine from ParaGear. It arrived with some defects, and it appeared to have been old stock. I realized it was old stock when Bonehead sent me, for free, a replacement helmet. The new helmet had been improved in a couple of areas, and fits great.

On depth perception, there's a trick that a friend of mine uses when doing accuracy landings of remotely-piloted sailplanes in competition. It is based on how an owl judges depth (according to my friend). My friend bobs his head left and right as the plane gets closer and it actually does enhance what he (and I) can judge with regard to depth perception of multiple objects in one field of view (ie. the ground, the accuracy target, and the plane).

- David
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

I jumped my Havok a few times this weekend, and it was great. I only got one "Luke, I am your father" on the way to altitude. It opens and closes easily enough for me, and open under canopy was good (head on a swivel always).

One of the selling points for me was the cost of a replacement lens. The Freezr costs around $75 to replace, and the Havok costs around $14 to replace.

- David
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)