johnnyboy

Law school is driving me CRAZY!!!!!!!

Fellow law students unite. Who wants to ditch class and go jump? Everyone I think.
Anyways, I am a 2 and a 1/2 L and doing a joint degree (JD/MDR).
I am now sitting in "arbitration practice" and wishing i could be back in the air learning to backfly.
who else is stuck in the law realm and especially, who is attending law school in LA (I am at Loyola (JD) and Peppderdine (MDR))
jumpers ARE better all around people than whuffos

Are you saying it will get worse? Great. Maybe I should just cutaway like the movie :)However, I have already done my good deed to the jumping community by redoing my DZ's waiver. Too bad that doesnt pay!!
jumpers ARE better all around people than whuffos

Fellow law students unite. Who wants to ditch class and go jump? Everyone I think.
I am now sitting in "arbitration practice" and wishing i could be back in the air learning to backfly.
who else is stuck in the law realm and especially, who is attending law school in LA (I am at Loyola (JD) and Peppderdine (MDR))

Not a law student. Been there done that. In fact, the weekend before the Texas Bar in July 1988, I was at the DROP ZONE. (Jump 1120 for those who actually READ my logbook)

I remember stopping by the law library with a cold one in my hand on many a Saturday night on my way home from Spaceland. I'd tap on the glass and there was Jeff, number 3 in the class, studying his ass off. (I was number 13)

I passed. :D B|

He didn't. :(

Isn't 3L the boring part?

https://www.tdcparole.com

Are you saying it will get worse? Great. Maybe I should just cutaway like the movie :)However, I have already done my good deed to the jumping community by redoing my DZ's waiver. Too bad that doesnt pay!!

shit, I have no experience with law school. I ws just making the obvious laywer jokes.:D

good luck with the rest of your schooling
My photos

My Videos

Hi there! I'm also a 2L (at FSU), but I'm graduating in December. Personally, I've had lots of time to jump in law school - I've done over 700 sport jumps in the past two years. It's all about packing them in in the beginning of the semester, then disappearing into a hole in the library for the last month or so. There's no better time to jump, because when we graduate the work hours will be brutal!

Best thing about law school? Wifi in the classrooms so you can surf the internet when the lectures get boring. ;)

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

You could come over to the light side of the force and go to medical school.

A doctor I worked with before I went to law school told me, "I'm a doctor. I may save your life someday. Wouldn't you like to be someone like that?" I replied, "I'm gonna be a lawyer. I may save your ASS someday. We could call it even." He said not a word after that.

As far as johnny goes, I gotta ask, "What on earth was the pathology in your mind that made you think to yourself, "Hmmm. I think I'll make this process lengthier and more difficult by going for my law degree AND get my masters in dispute resolution - from another school - 50 miles away - on the beach in Malibu (okay, that part I understand) - at the same time as my law degree."

It was likely the same pathology that told you, "I think I'll go to law school."

Look - law school prepares you for Barbri. Barbri prepares you for the Bar. The Bar is an exercise in endurance and humility, which prepares you for practice.

Right now you are in the doldrums. I personally took way too many units my second year (I needed only 12 and 12 to graduate my final year) to avoid those doldrums.

Just suck it up and drive on. I can't believe it's been 5 freaking years since the Bar exam for me. My, how time has flown.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

As much as I would love to cut class and go jump, first off, I have no money, and second, I'm taking 14 credits this summer, so I don't even have time to sleep if I want to get everything done.

I'm at Chapman in Orange.

I'm ready to kill something. In the next two weeks, I have a 35 page paper, a 25 page paper, and 3 smaller papers due. I'm going to go scream now.

I'm ready to kill something. In the next two weeks, I have a 35 page paper, a 25 page paper, and 3 smaller papers due. I'm going to go scream now.

Dude, you went to the wrong law school. I've written exactly one paper my entire time in law school. Most law schools just have comprehensive exams at the end of the semester....

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

Dude, you went to the wrong law school. I've written exactly one paper my entire time in law school. Most law schools just have comprehensive exams at the end of the semester....

Brie

I'd much prefer writing a paper to taking an exam.

The 35 page paper is a directed research project... write 35 pages, get 3 credits. A lot easier than going to class and cramming for an exam, I think. I'm doing another one next semester.

The 25 page paper is optional. We can write the paper or take the exam. Makes more sense to me to take the paper... no stress about cramming for the exam, no uncertainty about what I'll be tested on, just do research and write a paper. Much easier.

The smaller papers are for a client counseling class. The papers are sample communications to clients, which I think is a very valuable skill to learn.

So, no, I don't think I chose the wrong law school because I write papers.

I'd much prefer writing a paper to taking an exam.

Okay, well no more bitching about writing your papers. You brought it on yourself. ;)

My post is tongue-in-cheek. As was my other post. It's hard to convey that tone of voice over the internet. I'm sorry if it wasn't obvious.

Brie

Hehe. Well, if I wasn't bitching about papers, I'd be bitching about cramming for tests. I think I actually spend longer preparing for an exam than I do writing a 25-35 page paper.

I think you're crazy. :S;) Studying for a test is always less work than writing a paper. And I booked my last paper class. Maybe I overshot, and should have settled for mediocrity. :P

Brie

Well, my grades in classes that have papers instead of finals have all been at least .5 higher than my grades in final exam classes. I think a lot of it is that I had to write a 50 page paper for pretty much every grad school class I took for my masters, plus 120 page screenplays as an undergrad, so I'm used to writing and I'm good at it. The final exams are so much pressure... your entire grade is based on 3 hours of your life. And I've had the flu for six of my final exams so far. At least with a paper, you don't run the risk of one bad day ruining your GPA.

I actually think writing papers is better practice for the practice than exams. The Bar Exam is the last thing you'll do in law that is "closed book" unless you pursue an LLM or something.

Writing is most of what we do. I used to suck at it, which is why I took additional writing classes, etc.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

You will get through it. See the big picture which is passing your state's bar exam. Early this year I took two bar exams. I took off three months from work and studied my a## off. About 10 days before the exams I spent a day just skydiving. It was so nice not to think about anything but skydiving. It really gave me a pleasant pause from studying.

It is good to treat/reward yourself with something you like when you work hard. You just have to fit it in to your schedule. I passed both bar exams and yes the hard work was worth it. Good luck.

Kidding aside, that going jumping you did 10 days before the bar exam was a good idea. When I was studying for the bar (I also took 2 over 3 days), my whuffo wife, who did not share my enthusiasm for the sport, got so sick of my acting all stressed out that she actually urged me to go jumping. That was a real stretch for her. I didn't do it; I felt I had to keep studying. On reflection, the break might have done me - or maybe her - some good. (Anyhow, I passed both exams the first time.)