demoss99

Blood type - who gives?

Ugh... I wouldn't give if I wasn't feeling well. Giving blood usually leaves me feeling awful. Tired, no energy... if you're already sick, why go through that? Expecially for A+. They always seem to have a surplus. Family members are just sometimes more comfortable receiving blood from someone they know.

I see where you're coming from, that people might lie or understate a medical condition, but they ask those questions for a reason. Of course, I don't have any medical conditions that would prevent me from donating, aside from the tattoo, so I wouldn't have any reason to lie, and I guess I'm looking at it from that perspective.

I'm A Neg, and always getting hit up for donations. I used to donate 3 -6 times per year - apparently I have what they described as an "exotic" blood type.

I actually haven't given blood in a couple of years, though. I should go back and go for it again. I looked at it as a great way to lose a pound or two with a mininum of effort.

And it only took a couple of beers to really be feeling nice afterward.;)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

AB Negative.

I used to donate blood and platelets regularly but I started getting deferred because I vacation in Mexico almost every year for a week. Now even the designated tourist areas are on the "defer" list- at least for Lifesource in my area.

donated yesterday along with 2 coworkers. we've formed the "buddy bleeders club." :D it's an easy reminder for those that want to donate, to go.

i think our next visit (around sept 6th) we'll be donating platelets by apheresis.

A+

I'm O-. I used to donate all the time, but it always left me feeling like crap (physically).

Sooooo, I started donating platelets. As it turns out, 9 times out of 10, my platelet count is so high, I can donate for 2 people in one sitting. So I don't feel SO bad about withholding my O- blood.

And I'm sure I'll give whole blood again someday . . .

oh i bet they LOVE you for your high platelet count. :D

i hear ya on feeling like crap. i feel like i've been hit by a truck today...unusual for me after donating.

oh well, more reason for platelets next go-round. :P

I too am O-,
However I can't donate.... my veins collapse less than 1/2 through a bag. I've tried numerous times throughout the years. Starting in HS when you got outta class to donate, didn't work then & didn't work 3 months ago plus a couple dozen times in the middle.

I've acually had the same nurse, super excited to see me on arrival (apparently O- is rare & we can only use that specific type) later apologize for not being able to use the blood taken since it was such a small amount.

When they draw blood for simple tests (cholosteral...) my veins collapse a small amount, bout an inch on each side of the insertion point. When I try to donate the bruse goes almost all the way up & down my arm.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

A+, have donated every 8 weeks for 10 years except for several months when I was broken and in a wheelchair and couldn't drive.

I always figured, if I have extra why not give it to someone who could use it. Never really thought twice about it. Several months ago that way of thinking changed - someone I thought I would be spending the rest of my life with was in an accident out of town and needed blood. He did not make it through his injuries, but knowing that the blood was there when he needed it suddenly made me understand what it was really all about.

Not all the people who get the blood and blood products are trauma victims, but know that it is not always a nameless, faceless person who benefits, the life you save could be your friend, your family, your child. Is it worth the 'inconvenience and discomfort' then????

Life is not fair and there are no guarantees...

I donate blood and plasma since I was 18.

I'm both A+ end A-: when I would have to receive blood, it would have to be A-; but the blood I donate, is for an A+ person ... :S:)

"Ha ! I laugh at danger and drop ice cubes down the vest of fear ..." (Blackadder)

I'm O positive... I've tried to donate a few times, but they all went pretty badly. I have very small deep veins, that tend to collapse easily, so getting into them is tough and getting enough blood out of them seems to be equally difficult. The first time I tried was at a blood drive and they didn't have any of the little tiny needles, which I told them they would need to use. The idiot tried with the big needle, couldn't make it work and then pretty much just poked around in my arm randomly... I got pissed and made her stop when my arm started to bruise while I was sitting there. The bruises I had from that stayed for like 4 weeks. The most recent time, the vein collapsed when I had just a little bit more to go to make the minimum donation and no blood would go through the needle. Even though I'd like to donate, I don't think that I will be trying to again.

B+ and am on several registries. One in particular is the bone marrow registry which I've been on since age 18 when a child on the news in Colorado was dying without a bone marrow donor. Since high school, I've donated over the years....gives me energy to give blood...and it feels good knowing that you're helping someone who needs it.

Unfortunately, my dad gives blood Thursday every week to keep the iron levels down in his blood..he has a condition called hemachromatosis, a genetic blood disorder. He hates needles and this has been really hard for him to do but docs say it'll be something he has to do for the rest of his life.

When I was in college, the local Red Cross called me whenever there was a shortage of my blood type. I loved it- felt like they were giving me celebrity treatment. They would pick me up at my dorm, feed me and take me back when I was done. Where's the bad?

O pos, and I'm going to go give Platelets tomorrow. It takes quite a bit more time, 2 hours vs. 15 minutes, but I guess the platelets are a huge help to many people.

My wife owes her life to blood donors, so to all of you that donate, I give very sincere thanks to you. You really are saving lives.

John:)