demoss99

Blood type - who gives?

My wife works for United Blood Services... I'm curious...who here gives blood... of those who do...what type are you? Those who don't...do you know you're type?

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Ok, I'm finding it just a little bit creepy that in less than twelve hours we've had two separate threads started asking for peoples' blood types.:|

This just doesn't strike me as normal behavior for some reason.:S

Matt

Didn't read previous thread...sorry. The reason I did it...I got major cudos for my wife's blood drive at my office. I had not given blood in a long time. I found out I was a univeral doner with a RH factor. They jumped all over me...It just got me thinking.

Not trying to be morbid...LOL

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

I did at one time. Red Cross would start calling me exactly 6 weeks after my visit. The calls got really annoying, so I told them Matt had died.

Giving blood is cool, but it creeps me out when they actively solicit you. I'd give them a false number, but that seems to somewhat defeat the purpose of being charitable [:/].

I haven't in a few months, but I need to get back on schedule. I miss my old job for that - they used to have quarterly blood drives, so all I had to do was wander downstairs in my building. Now I actually have to think about it and go somewhere to donate.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

A+. I can't give; I had hepatitis when I was 11. But I am registered for bone marrow donation.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I don't i can't. I am utterly terrified of needles is not the initial prick that bothers me its having someting in me. When I goto the doctor and they take blood I flip out. It just not something I have ever wanted to deal with. UGH.
Yeah...You need to grow up. -Skymama

O- Type O Hero my id card says!
Donated 3 days ago, and I donate every 8 weeks when they come to town. My 17 year old daughter donated for the first time 3 days ago, I'm so proud of her. We are both scheduled for Sept 11, 8 weeksfrom now...I find it very exhilerating to do such a good deed and knowing it could help any one, regardless of race, gender, etc.

I was on the blood drive committee in high school and college and would donate almost every 8 weeks. Then I traveled to South America and was told I had a possible exposure to a local bug and could not donate for 5 years. I have since fallen out of the habit. This is a good reminder to call and make an appointment and start donating regularly again.

Oh, A+.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I figure that if I write for it... I better help make sure there's some in the lab to give. Given over 8 gallons. Started in high school when we would get released from afternoon swim practice if we donated. Always a nice option! And a free cookie! Then got a job in college working at the local Red Cross Center.... more cookies! It's amazing that I'm not 300+ lbs.

One of the hardest questions was asking a REALLY HOT guy "Have you ever traded money or drugs for sex?" Cuz a part of me then was wondered.... "How much would it take?" >:(:$ but that was back when I was sweet and innocent :) So of courrse I never really asked.[:/]

A+

I don't give, because the red cross here always seems to have extra A+. I got a tattoo not too long ago, so the red cross doesn't want me anyway. Also, if I don't donate regularly, I will always be able to donate if a family member needs blood (most of my family is A+ and my brother is AB+. My dad is O+, so I couldn't donate for him, but I could for anyone else).

Also, if I don't donate regularly, I will always be able to donate if a family member needs blood (most of my family is A+ and my brother is AB+. My dad is O+, so I couldn't donate for him, but I could for anyone else).

I don't often recommend donating specifically for a family member. It influences your answers to the screening questions whether you really know it or not. You look at the question and think... "This is the 'correct' answer, but then Susie won't get the blood.... so this is the 'right' answer." Not saying that people will lie on the big questions and intentionally give bad blood to someone they love, but the "little" questions like "Are you feeling well today?" or "What meds in the last 30 days?" But the devil is in those details. Whereas the blood that's donated for the community resources typically has no underlying "need" to give so the donors don't feel as pressured on the questions.

I liked this in one of the directed donation websites:

It is very important to remember that you almost certainly do not know everything about each of your friends and family members. Many of the very things that may well put you and them at mortal risk are among the most closely guarded secrets!