benforde

WHAT DID the Italian player say to Zidane?

WHAT DID the Italian player say to Zidane? does anyone know for sure?

No, we still don't know for sure, and I guess since Zidane gave his official statement on the matter, we never will.

The France legend did not reveal what Materazzi said, but claimed it was "very personal" and concerned his mother and his sister.

So, no details. And note, no mention of race or ethnicity, like the slanderous press have been reporting.

But Zidane, who was playing in his final game before quitting football, added: "You hear those things once and you try to walk away.

"That's what I wanted to do because I am retiring. You hear it a second time and then a third time.

So he planned the act since he knew there wouldn't be any future suspensions or punishments? Trash talking is a part of any sport, and Materazzi is a master of playing head games on the field (as was French coach Domenech in his heyday). I'm disappointed that Zidane would take the bait the way he did.

As Zidane said

There was no excuse for it.

Nonetheless he remains one of the all-time greats, and I hope he will not go down in infamy for the incident.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

I agree with your post. I understand Zidane apologizing but not regretting what he did. That's his prerogative. I also don't believe he cost the French the title. It was a stupid reaction, period. But certainly had nothing to do with Trezeguet hitting the cross bar in the penalty kicks (and Trezeguet would have taken a penalty even with Zidane on the pitch).
The issue I have is with FIFA. The directive they gave to referees not to hesitate to get the cards out has created a 2 headed monster in my opinion:
- defenders will be more likely to try to get under someone's skin, in the hope of a player loosing his cool and getting busted for it
- attacking players will be more likely to dive, especially when gong passed the last defender, trying to get him red carded.

I always have, and still am, opposed to added more referees or bringing instant replay into the game. But I am wondering if that's not innevitable the way things are going. The game needs to be cleaned up of its dirty side.

Edited to add: he won't be remembered for the head butt, but for his career. Much like Maradona is not remembered for his karate kick in the '82 WC or his "Hand of Goal" trick...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Matterazzi said:

On your last dive, you were slow on the Danish Tee/Murphy! We'll have to take you off the Hollywood slot!

Seems a reasonable response now doesn't it folks???????
The probability of being observed is directly proportionate to the stupidity of your actions at the time!

Edited to add: he won't be remembered for the head butt, but for his career.

I think you've got that backwards. Sure the hardcore French fans will remember his career, but for most of us mortals, Zidane will forever be remembered now for his head butt. No excuses ... he fucked up.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I think you've got that backwards. Sure the hardcore French fans will remember his career, but for most of us mortals who don't follow the sport, Zidane will forever be remembered now for his head butt. No excuses ... he fucked up.

Fixed. People who follow the sport, French or not, will remember him for his brilliance on the field and the great sportsman that he really is. This is a small footnote in Zidane's stellar career. Those not familiar with the sport will likely remember him for this incident, but I'm sure that doesn't much matter to Zidane; he certainly has nothing to prove since his accomplishments speak for themselves.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Fixed. People who follow the sport, French or not, will remember him for his brilliance on the field and the great sportsman that he really is.

He may have been a brilliant soccer player, but he sure is no sportsman. He proved to us this last Sunday what kind of lousy sportsman that he is. Shit it's not like his team was even losing when he lost it. Plus to try and lay blame on the Italian guy is a joke. He fucked up and will forever be remembered for it. No excuses ...

I think you've got that backwards. Sure the hardcore French fans will remember his career, but for most of us mortals, Zidane will forever be remembered now for his head butt. No excuses ... he fucked up.

Actually Steve, I'd say you've got it backwards. At least in countries where football/soccer is closely followed, he'll be remembered much more for his abilities - such as that magical volley to win the European Cup in Glasgow a few years ago - than for this headbutt. Not to say it'll be forgotten but, much like Eric Cantona, who drop-kicked a fan and got an 8-9 month suspension for his troubles, his outbursts will in time be overshadowed by his abilities.

Fixed. People who follow the sport, French or not, will remember him for his brilliance on the field and the great sportsman that he really is.

He may have been a brilliant soccer player, but he sure is no sportsman. He proved to us this last Sunday what kind of lousy sportsman that he is. Shit it's not like his team was even losing when he lost it. Plus to try and lay blame on the Italian guy is a joke. He fucked up and will forever be remembered for it. No excuses ...

Possibly. But then again, will Kobe be remembered for the punch he threw and/or the rape charges? Doubtful. Shaq has clocked a couple people over his career, and I doubt this will be his legacy.
And as Dave mentioned, Cantona is doing pretty good for himself. He's only starring in the biggest current worldwide commercial...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

He may have been a brilliant soccer player, but he sure is no sportsman. He proved to us this last Sunday what kind of lousy sportsman that he is.

But he is a sportsman. Sure, he had his bad moments on the world stage. But I remember he was a good sport during his days in Juventus in Serie A. I also know he does not get carded often and is known for playing cleanly, with skill and honor.

I don't watch basketball often. Let's say I turn on the tube and see Dirk Nowitzki throwing a chair on the way to the locker room after game 5 of the finals vs. Miami. Then I judge him and say "he's a complete spaz, unstable and not a sportsman." It's not true though, he is a sportsman, great athlete and team player. He just had a bad moment, and it's not much different with Zidane.

Plus to try and lay blame on the Italian guy is a joke.

I agree wholeheartedly with that.

He fucked up and will forever be remembered for it. No excuses ...

Like others here have already said, this incident in time will mean little in light of his outstanding achievements in the game.

I don't watch basketball often. Let's say I turn on the tube and see Dirk Nowitzki throwing a chair on the way to the locker room after game 5 of the finals vs. Miami.

I think we've all done things that we regret and sports are a competitive realm where emotions run high and decisions need to be made quickly, and sometimes the wrong decisions are made. Years ago I cost myself a slot on a "AA" hockey team because I gooned some guy in a pre-season game. So I understand how emotions run in sports. Zizou, this Nowitzki guy you speak of, Todd Bertuzzi and others ... are just samples of talented athletes making bone headed decisions.

Finally, don't get me wrong here. I'm not calling for Zidane's head. What he did was dumb, but not the end of the world. But he will be remembered for it. B|

Possibly. But then again, will Kobe be remembered for the punch he threw and/or the rape charges? Doubtful. Shaq has clocked a couple people over his career, and I doubt this will be his legacy.
And as Dave mentioned, Cantona is doing pretty good for himself. He's only starring in the biggest current worldwide commercial...

Cantona... ah.. ze master, he was the best at kickboxing his way on the football lawns. B| when he ran out of players, he attacked the fans... I LOVE THAT GUY! http://www.jimjagger.com/EricCantona/Media/Kick/Cantona_6.jpg

edited to add the finger in the nose move! http://top.lourd.online.fr/vrai/canto1.jpg B|B|B|

I agree with your post. I understand Zidane apologizing but not regretting what he did. That's his prerogative. I also don't believe he cost the French the title. It was a stupid reaction, period. But certainly had nothing to do with Trezeguet hitting the cross bar in the penalty kicks (and Trezeguet would have taken a penalty even with Zidane on the pitch).
The issue I have is with FIFA. The directive they gave to referees not to hesitate to get the cards out has created a 2 headed monster in my opinion:
- defenders will be more likely to try to get under someone's skin, in the hope of a player loosing his cool and getting busted for it
- attacking players will be more likely to dive, especially when gong passed the last defender, trying to get him red carded.

I always have, and still am, opposed to added more referees or bringing instant replay into the game. But I am wondering if that's not innevitable the way things are going. The game needs to be cleaned up of its dirty side.

Edited to add: he won't be remembered for the head butt, but for his career. Much like Maradona is not remembered for his karate kick in the '82 WC or his "Hand of Goal" trick...

Here's a great read on the matter, though you may not agree with all that the writer says. The writer echoed what I initially thought -- that in addition to the insult, Zidane was frustrated with the lack of scoring opportunities (though I believe his header in 104' would have been a goal against any keeper in the world other than Buffon).

As far as the game being cleaned up goes, I don't want instant replay or more refs either, but other than those two solutions I don't see any other way to resolve the problem -- unfortunately, the players themselves are certainly not going to change so long as diving and trash-talking are effective winning mechanisms. [:/] If I were to pick one, I suppose I'd choose more refs over instant replay.

unfortunately, the players themselves are certainly not going to change so long as diving and trash-talking are effective winning mechanisms

I'll lend you my shoulder to cry on if you lend me yours...

Cheers:)

Jusque là très silencieuse, la Fédération internationale de football (FIFA) s'empare de l'affaire. Elle a annoncé jeudi l'ouverture d'une enquête disciplinaire à l'encontre du joueur italien Marco Materazzi.

Cette décision, précise le communiqué, "a été prise suite aux premières déclarations du Français Zinédine Zidane qui a frappé Materazzi d'un coup de tête lors de la finale de la coupe du monde, à Berlin le 9 juillet". Zidane a expliqué dans une interview avoir "réagi à une provocation répétée de l'Italien", ajoute le communiqué. Materazzi sera entendu vendredi par la commission disciplinaire de la FIFA.

> I think the man is half insane
——————————————————————————————
If don't watch regularly 1st division Italian championship matches (which I do once in a while), you cannot judge the quality of a player simply weatching a video assembled by a biased bloke.
Just my 0.02€

I do watch italian footballl and I still think he's a animal. Period.
Zidane is 34 years old palyer, with far more international and football experience than him. He probable had many more insults than Mazzerati as he has been playing professionally for about 16 years, and he was playing his last match in a World Cup final for his country. If he couldn't restrain himself from hitting him is most likely because the other one said somthing too nasty to be tolerated. I think is was premeditated to lead him to make a mistake, like he did, and get him out of the way when it was totally clear they match was going to end in penalties.

Blue ones.

Jusque là très silencieuse, la Fédération internationale de football (FIFA) s'empare de l'affaire. Elle a annoncé jeudi l'ouverture d'une enquête disciplinaire à l'encontre du joueur italien Marco Materazzi.

Cette décision, précise le communiqué, "a été prise suite aux premières déclarations du Français Zinédine Zidane qui a frappé Materazzi d'un coup de tête lors de la finale de la coupe du monde, à Berlin le 9 juillet". Zidane a expliqué dans une interview avoir "réagi à une provocation répétée de l'Italien", ajoute le communiqué. Materazzi sera entendu vendredi par la commission disciplinaire de la FIFA.

Maybe you'd be interested in checking this out -- perhaps France will be the world champions after all. :|

> ...other one said something too nasty to be tolerated
I am not sayint that it is acceptable/nice/whatever, but insults do happen since the beginning of history of soccer (and for sure other sports too), and, if caught, you are punished (by referee), what they are indeed NOT tolerated are physicalk reaction to fauls/insults/shirt-pulling/whatever, which actions are clearly visible and liable for yellow card/red card/disqualification/whatever.
Those are the rules. Not made by me.
Poulsen was NOT caught. Materazzi was not caught.
Totti was caught. Zidane was caught.
Italy in 1994 lost in final at penalty kicks with Brazil. Fine. It's the game. Honor to Brazil.
Italy won 2006 World Cup at penalty kicks with france. Period. Italy is 2006 World Champion.
All the rest is bullshit.

> I think is was premeditated to lead him to make a mistake, like he did, and get him out of the way when it was totally clear they match was going to end in penalties
Possibly. Possibly as premeditated as Poulsen (Danmark player) insulted/provoked Totti in European Cup 2004 Italy-Danmark match, where Totti finally spit at Poulsen (Totti at the time was extremely in shape and fit and "central" to Italy team). That match went away, the Totti's spit was then noticed watching video recording, then FIFA disqualified Totti for the following match(es). Italy was kicked oput of the tournament. Yes, Totti not playing was NOT the only factor why Italy was kicked out, for sure such an event modified the course of Italy's following match.
Totti was disqualified (for spitting), which was right. He apologized and regret his actions.
Zidane has been disqualified (for head hit) instantly, he subsequently apologized but admittedly he did NOT regret his actions (=if they do it again to me, I will do it again), which is really unfair.
Enforcing of the rules again: De Rossi hit with his elbow McBride in USA_Italy match, he has been disqualified for 4 matches, De Rossi has been capable of playing just the final. Fine. He deserved it. They are the rules.
Futhermore. Zidane has been playing for Italy's Juventus for several years, and we know him very well. Zidane is the soccer star who once in a while does animal actions (another head hit to a layed down player, a "walk-over-the-body" to a Saudi player at penultimate World Cup, few heavy kicks in the legs to "layed-down-players", plus other pleasant actions here and there), so if you say that Marco Materazzi is an animal, Zidane is not that better ;)
Few soccer players are saints :)
If you are caught, provoked or not provoked, you can only stick to the rules (again, not made by me)(=you undergo to yellow card/red card/disqualification/whatever).
Blue ones to you too B|
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

I like what Gabriele Marcotti (one of the very few American sports journalists who can write intelligently about the sport) said about the alleged racist remarks Materazzi made, from here:

Mokhtar Haddad, Zidane's cousin, told The New York Times that Materazzi called him "either a terrorist or a son of Harkis" (a reference to the Algerian revolutionaries who helped defeat France in that country's war for independence). Others freely called Materazzi a racist and a xenophobe.

Too bad for all these supposed experts and clairvoyants that Zidane himself confirmed that Materazzi's insult was not racist in nature and that he was never called a terrorist (much less a "son of Harkis" -- as if anyone with an IQ over 60 would believe that Materazzi has even heard of Harkis).
Those people should be apologizing to Materazzi, the people who blackened his name by throwing out baseless accusations, the people who -- in their frenzy to figuratively burn someone at the stake -- accused an innocent man without a shred of credible evidence (and no, those lip-readers' fantasies do not constitute credible evidence), the people who ignored Zidane's teammate and possibly the French team's most intelligent and sensitive player, Lilian Thuram (a guy who knows a thing or two about racism), when he categorically said there "was no racial slur."

I hope Materazzi sues their behinds off and donates the proceeds to organizations that are serious about fighting racism in all walks of life.