GaryRay

simple question about altimeter's

so i got to thinking today...becomes a problem once in a while but thats besides the point....ive done a search and i checked the internet. how does an altimeter get its readings? such as my Viso, if it was bar-alt you would have a setting for the air press. of the day, if it was rad alt then it would be huge, what is the science behind it?
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

>how does an altimeter get its readings?

Air pressure.

>if it was bar-alt you would have a setting for the air press. of the day,

Yep, you have to zero them. You do this by hand (for mechanical altimeters) or the system does it automatically when first turned on (for electronic altimeters.)

interesting. thanks i appreciate it, i guess i can stop racking my brain about it now.

Beware of mechanical devices:o

Someone landed this weekend with a new alti that was checked with other alti's on jump run 13'k AGL and 1000' BGL on landing[:/]

interesting. thanks i appreciate it, i guess i can stop racking my brain about it now.

Someone landed this weekend with a new alti that was checked with other alti's on jump run 13'k AGL and 1000' BGL on landing[:/]

Zero your altimeter on the ground, never in the air with another altimeter! Never! :S

Zero your altimeter on the ground, never in the air with another altimeter! Never! :S

Hi JC

Of course:)
My understanding was they did both. Zero on ground and checkie prior to exit for workie. New alti still ended up 1k BGL on landing.

Someone was going to take both up on another load and see if the error was duplicated.;)

I got -40m altitude reading of my Neptune. Your turn...

Guess what could be the result of -40m in swooping...

I've taken my Suunto (electronic) and my alti (mechanical) up to see how they stacked up against one another. They were both zeroed on the ground and then periodically checked for "accurate" readings. I found that the Suunto would be dead on up to 3000 ft. and would ready 100-150 ft. below the alti's reading. By 5000 ft. the readings were nearly identical again. This happenes all the up to 14,000.

I'm comfortable jumping with either altimeter without a major pucker factor.

You could always take it apart just to see what makes it tick.;)

Why the ";)"?

I've taken my altimeter to pieces out of curiosity. And clocks, attitude indicators, airplane navigation radios, car engines and transmissions, tachometers, TVs, CD players, VCRs. microwave ovens...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Is it a bad idea to obsessively tap your altimeter on the ride to altitude? I've heard that it can damage the small metal piece that enlarge when the air pressure drops.

Edit to add: I'm talking about mechanical altimeters.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You could always take it apart just to see what makes it tick.

Why the ""?

I've taken my altimeter to pieces out of curiosity. And clocks, attitude indicators, airplane navigation radios, car engines and transmissions, tachometers, TVs, CD players, VCRs. microwave ovens...

You're the man!

Okay. To go a little off the original question...

Seeing how we should not totally trust any mechanical device (digital or mechanical altimeters), is there any true difference between them?

Should I put the same amount of trust in a digital altimeter that I put in a mechanical altimeter?

- David
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

Yeah, air pressure.

Reminds me of my first landing: I was hanging there in the tree, and forunately looked down before pulling the cutaway handle, 25' down, altimeter said 0. But, after a couple of hours there, as the weather changed, my altimeter said it was 500' down. Really good thing I didn't cutaway then.;)

:D

I check and zero my analogue altimeter on the ground, then I check it again in the plane before takeoff, and at jump run. But I also like to have a look at it now and then to see how fast the plane is climbing.

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

To take a scuba adage to the question:

"1 is none and 2 is one"

I use that adage for digitals. The mechanical one + my eyes = 2 so that's 1 too.

The final equation: 2 (digi + digi) + 2 (mechanical + eyes) = 1 :)

i never said I was good at math < edit >
The final equation: 2 (digi + digi) + 2 (mechanical + eyes) = 2 :)
-Patrick