DrewEckhardt

Beer in Washington State

I love tasty beer. It's one of my three favorite foods (the others being dry-aged steak and sushi).

I figured that given the preponderance of breweries in the Pacific Northwest, a move to Washington state would not be putting me on a beer diet. I was wrong.

After living here for a month, I hadn't seen a liquor store but didn't worry because QFC carries my favorite beer (Arrogant Bastard).

Unfortunately, the last few times I've been there they were sold out. So I started to worry. And searched for liquor stores on-line. And found out that the state has a monopoly on liquor stores like Utah.

Jeeze. I don't want tequilla, whisky, or rum. Just beer. Where do I get beer on the East Side?

Anderson Valley, Stone Brewery, Boulder Beer, and Sammy Smith's would be great. While I like the Bridgeport IPA, a little variety would be nice.

You might try some of the local grocery chains (Larry's Markets, Metropolitan Markets, Town and Country Markets/Central Market) for better selection. Also, Costco or Trader Joe's often have good options.

If you're willing to come to this side of the lake, there's a great store called Bottleworks in Wallingford.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Isnt there some big Seattle-based brewing company?

You're probably thinking of Red Hook since they get the most national distribution.

There's lots of smaller ones as well. Plus, my favorite import from the North, Alaskan Amber.

We'll miss you at trivia this week. If I had a myspace account I'd go on there and post a comment so that everyone on myspace knows that we'll miss you at trivia this week. I guess dropzone.com will have to do... it just doesnt seem 'quite' as ridiculous. :P:D

Albertsons up the street from me has Arrogant Bastard in the cooler. I have seen it at some other stores like QFC as well.... Hell I even saw it in a Gas Station Mini Mart. Usually a better selection will be at Larrys or QFC but Safeway, Albertsons, hell or even the gas statin MiniMart has a decent selection of beer compared to lots of places I ahve been..

Scott
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I love tasty beer. It's one of my three favorite foods (the others being dry-aged steak and sushi).

I figured that given the preponderance of breweries in the Pacific Northwest, a move to Washington state would not be putting me on a beer diet. I was wrong.

After living here for a month, I hadn't seen a liquor store but didn't worry because QFC carries my favorite beer (Arrogant Bastard).

Unfortunately, the last few times I've been there they were sold out. So I started to worry. And searched for liquor stores on-line. And found out that the state has a monopoly on liquor stores like Utah.

Jeeze. I don't want tequilla, whisky, or rum. Just beer. Where do I get beer on the East Side?

Anderson Valley, Stone Brewery, Boulder Beer, and Sammy Smith's would be great. While I like the Bridgeport IPA, a little variety would be nice.

You moved from Colorado to Washington in hopes of buying Californian beer? :S:D Assuming you're talking Seattle-speak when you say "East Side", you don't mean east of the Cascades and I can't be much help. Over here on the eastern side of the state, we have Yoke's Fresh Markets, who now carry Lang products (e.g. Skydiver Blonde, Tri-Motor Amber, Windsock Pale Ale, etc) in addition to everything you mentioned and 50+ other domestic micros and dozens of quality imports (e.g. Chimay trappists, Lindeman's lambics, Young's ales...not Corona & Heiniken & that shit). B|

Now that I think about it, Fred Meyer's carries Stone products and a couple good imports. Also, I think you can get Deschutes stuff just about anywhere these days. Mirror Pond pale, Black Butte porter are really common, and I always like their seasonals (especially Jubelale). I see Big Sky stuff just about everywhere too... Moose Drool, Powder Hound, & Scape Goat, all fairly tasty.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Didnt they have Skydiver Blonde as well?

I am getting MY supply in two weeks.....I hope I have enough room to bring back the people who are riding over with me to Lost Prairie:o

I took this picture at my local grocer a couple weeks ago. B|

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Can you get Shiner Bock? That's the only important question.:D

Couldn't get it here till recently (last year). Now that I've tried it, I honestly don't see what the fuss is all about. :S:ph34r:

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Can you get Shiner Bock? That's the only important question.:D

Couldn't get it here till recently (last year). Now that I've tried it, I honestly don't see what the fuss is all about. :S:ph34r:

Blues,
Dave

Me neither. They must be use to macro crap, so almost anything would be an improvement.

We'll miss you at trivia this week. If I had a myspace account I'd go on there and post a comment so that everyone on myspace knows that we'll miss you at trivia this week. I guess dropzone.com will have to do... it just doesnt seem 'quite' as ridiculous. :P:D

I can take care of that for you :D

You don't want tequila? Egads, man, what's wrong with you? Hmmm...that does leave more for me to consume, so perhaps you're onto something there. Then again, I don't want to drink ALL of the tequila...er...never mind...forget I said that...I SHOULDN'T drink ALL of the tequila, so perhasp you should drink some so I don't. Contribute to Vinny's health.

:)
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Isnt there some big Seattle-based brewing company?

There's also a Pyramid brewery downtown, exactly across the street from Safeco Field. Redhook seems to have slid downhill ever since they signed their big deal with Anheuser-Busch (sell your soul to the devil, what do you expect though ?).

I used to live in Marysville and had no trouble finding lots of great beer at Fred Meyers, in the grocery part of the store.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Now that I've tried it, I honestly don't see what the fuss is all about. CrazySly

That's too bad. Good for us, though, more beer for the normal people.:P:P

"Normal"?

Mwhahahahahaha.;)

And congrats on the SDU scholarship. I guess that means you owe beer. I bet I know what you will be buying.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I guess that means you owe beer. I bet I know what you will be buying.

Yup, a 1/2 gallon of Jack Daniels to bring to the DZ. Which is the real drink of choice at the DZ.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."