vinnyware

good rig??

hello all, this is my 1st post, and new to skydiving, just finishing off my aff consol jumps!

what an amazing sport, anyway

im thinking of buying a 2nd hand, but new javelin odd rig, ( never been jumped)
its got saber 2 190, pd 176 reserve, cypress 2 and most the extras on the container ( mini risers, fat cutaway ect)

i think the retail on one of these is 4200GPB(ish) here in uk but cannot confirm because all of the website need you to call and i dont want to waste anyones time.

what you think its worth, comes with alti and some other small accessories.

cheers guys

vinny

It's not a question of if it's a good rig, it's a question of is it a good rig for you. Is the WL approperiate for your skill level, how is the fit of the harness, etc.?
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

In my opinion, its a bad idea to spend more than £2000 on a 1st rig.
If you stay in the sport, you'll want to sell it on pretty soon...if not, you'll want to sell it on pretty soon. Either way you lose on resale value.
Go for new when you're buying a size youll stick with for 500 or so jumps.

In my opinion, its a bad idea to spend more than £2000 on a 1st rig.
If you stay in the sport, you'll want to sell it on pretty soon...if not, you'll want to sell it on pretty soon. Either way you lose on resale value.
Go for new when you're buying a size youll stick with for 500 or so jumps.

MooChooser has a good point here. I wouldn't rule out this rig you're looking out, it sounds like a very nice rig. First and foremost, get this rig (and any rig) into a rigger's loft and pay for a full inspection before agreeing to buy it.

The harness should at least be a good fit to your body. If the fit is "just okay", i.e. safe but not great, you might do better with an older, less expensive harness. On the other hand, if the fit is good, then go for it. I'm 6'4" and 225 lbs myself and when I got a chance to buy a big guy's used Javelin I snapped it up - it fits me just great and there aren't that many big guy rigs around.

A good reserve at a 1:1 WL would be a keeper, if your rigger likes it and it's new, or almost new you could keep it for years.

Mains are a bit trickier. A used main is usually better for the price. Also you're still learning basic canopy flight, whether you like a 7 cell or a 9 cell better and so on. You will probably want to downsize after a year or two. If the new main is a 1:1 WL and not too expensive, you might as well go for it, but otherwise you should be able to find a good used ZP canopy for a good price.

And please do spend the money on an AAD. Honestly, the debate is over. The things ave their limits and you should never depend on them. But they have saved lives by the thousnads and your life is worth every penny of the price. A good used one with even a few years left on it will do you just fine.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

hello and thanks for your opinions,

i am new to the sport, stupid and had the cash spare so i brought the rig, it fits well, total weight with th erig on is 180lbs so wingload is just under 1lb sq ft, will allow for a 170 in this container too. with DOM all in 2007, im happy with the purchase and cant wait to get some more experiance on other canopys 1st before using this rig.

i will be only jumpin approx 2 -3 days a month so expect the rig to last a while.

thnaks again guys

vinny