meistwer

What's wrong witrh the driving in Britain?

Hi guys,

I'm getting so frustrated about this that I need to post the thread to let some steam off.

Here it goes.

I've never seen just bad driving anywhere in the world as in Britain.:S

I can't belive that I can actually drive faster most of the times if I'm in the slow lane than in the fast lane. 'Fast lane' is meant to be used to overtake other cars and then go back to the middle or slow lanes. People gets into the fast lane and they don't move from there although the the other lanes are empty:S. The fanny thing is that it isn't an isolated case, it happens all the time!

So many drivers don't indicate at all and when they do they think it gives them the right to just go without thinking about other cars. Indicators are to make people aware of your intentions but doesn't give right of way over the other driver[:/].

If you flash your ligths to them in sign of disapproval they just tell you to fuck off and give a childish attitude.

Honestly, sometimes I think I'm missing something in here, is there any difference with the Driving regulations in the UK to the rest of the world? Why people drive this bad over here?

Blue ones

Drive faster than someone on the inside and you'll get a £60 fine and 3 penalty points.

It can be frustrating but generally if your attentive as you drive, you can make good progress. People that don't read the road ahead seem to find it more stressful than those that don't because they end of braking behind traffic at the last minute

To be honest I don't think I've ever seen anyone on the motorway in the fast lane doing less then 70MPH. So if people are holding you up, its either because there is conjestion or because your trying to drive in excess of the speed limit.

I'd recommend you don't flash at people though. People get attacked for that sort of thing regularly. If I am doing the speed limit and some fucker flashes me because I'm holding them up it really fucks me off and I tend to hold them up even longer

There are of course those drivers that seem completely oblivious to lane discipline and they annoy me big time!

Drive faster than someone on the inside and you'll get a £60 fine and 3 penalty points.

I'd recommend you don't flash at people though. People get attacked for that sort of thing regularly. If I am doing the speed limit and some fucker flashes me because I'm holding them up it really fucks me off and I tend to hold them up even longer

Well, if he/she wants to go faster than the speed limit thats their personal choice, and people who's not overtaking shouldn't be in the fast lane. Some times the road is almost empty and there are always and amazing number of people driving in the fats lane, and the other 2 are empty, not even just 1 single car[:/] Everybody does that.

I always try to follow the road regulations but I drive from Swindon to London and back about 5 times a week and it really pisses me off to see how some people makes the everyday's driving so difficult not to say dangerous.

If people is in the way I always let them realise first but if I'm in a rush, that doesn't mean driving like a mad fucker but a bit faster, I really don't have the patient of taking it. As I said, it isn't an isolate case, it is a constant all the way to London and back. It's just annoying and bothers me so much.
To be honest I'm a very polite driver, always giving way to other drivers, never try to jump into other lanes to go quicker making other drivers to brake suddenly, stoping at every single zebra crossing. All my mates love my driving because I'm quite safe but I don't hold the traffic.

Blue ones

I agree with your observation around lane discipline in the UK. However, people in the UK are better at keeping distance. I lived in Germany for a while and the lane discipline is amazing (mainly because despite going 120 mph up a hill and round a corner, some German built car can do it faster!). They are really bad about crawling up exhaust pipes though.

I think the reason is around what is emphasised more in driving tests, my UK driving test really went into stopping distances and in Germany some motorways have no speed limits and the locally built cars are designed to go extreme speeds!

I often wish the Brits could learn lane discipline off the Germans and the Germans would learn about keeping an adequat stopping distance off the Brits!

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

I remember one asshole on the M6 in a Vauxhall not wanting to do more than 50mph in the fast lane, and then when five guys in a Sierra who had finally got past him he looked like Mr. Bean with sharp stick up his bum.
(you should have seen the look on his face):PB|

BTW I was just an innocent passenger:|

Well, if he/she wants to go faster than the speed limit thats their personal choice,

Well actually its not, thats why they call them speed 'limits' not speed 'suggestions'.;) Not that I agree with 70mph limits on motorways of course.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Hi Jakee,

It's still their personal choice, there is nothing there to stop you but the regulations. Have you always been within the speed limit? Absolutely all the times?...:P

BTW, I don't agree either with the 70mph limit, it's ridicoulus.

Blue ones.

Besides, flashing your lights is illegal

To the OP, I drive between Junction 17 and Junction 15 of the M4 every day. It's not often I see people hogging the fast lane, infact, during rush hour I can't remember seeing it once. As for the speed limit, if you're doing 70 you'll probably be the slowest car there ;)
Next Mood Swing: 6 minutes

The problem in britain is the rabid pursuit of speeding drivers in the name of "safety" without a recognition that "safe" driving has many components and driving at sensible speed is just one of them.

Three weeks ago my daughter's best friend was run over by a 65 year old driver as she walked over a pedestrian crossing on her way to school. He calmly went through the red light and run her over at at the posted speed limit of 30 miles an hour. The driver failed a sight test at the police station and is being charged with just careless driving!!! My daughter's friend was in a coma for a week and will receive treatment for the rest of her life.

It boils down to this, it is easy to prove that someone is speeding, it is difficult to prove that someone wasn't being "careful" and so that's what the authorities concentrate on (and they can make a few quid as well).

Unfortunately you have more chance of having a rational discussion about religion than you do about driving, as to question the authorities obsession with speed is, in the eyes of many, condoning driving like a lunatic.
One day, I'm gonna grow wings, a chemical reaction, hysterical and useless...

Three weeks ago my daughter's best friend was run over by a 65 year old driver as she walked over a pedestrian crossing on her way to school. He calmly went through the red light and run her over at at the posted speed limit of 30 miles an hour. The driver failed a sight test at the police station and is being charged with just careless driving!!! My daughter's friend was in a coma for a week and will receive treatment for the rest of her life.

It boils down to this, it is easy to prove that someone is speeding, it is difficult to prove that someone wasn't being "careful" and so that's what the authorities concentrate on (and they can make a few quid as well).

Hi stallboy,

I'm truly sorry for your daugther's friend, it's just such a tradegy that a young girl has to go trhough that and suffer the consecuences for the rest of her life.

You are right about where the athorities concentre, where the know that they can make money. I actually think that they are pushing it to much and they are not that much concern about safety but about figures and revenue.

Recently, I have paid £120 and lost 6 points in my licence for 2 speeding offences in the same road, 1 minute after each other and by two radar manned teams 100 meters away from each other. I was driving in a 30mph road at 34 and 36 for both offences. >:(>:(>:(

What does it look like to you? They were just make money, to catch the same drivers for the same offecence twice. The bloddy road was empty without any zebra crossings around in the middle of nowhere.

Blue ones

Have you always been within the speed limit? Absolutely all the times?

Fuck no, I'm being a massive hypocrite here:P. In fact I think a lot of the time its safer to be doing 80 / 85 on the motorway than doing 70 and causing other motorists to have to slow down, change lanes, overtake etc. It would be nice if poor lane discipline was cracked down on like speeding too.

@ the two tickets thing, you're not the only one. There was a woman recently making a big protest 'cos she got caught by 4 camera's on the same stretch of road and lost her license for, essentially, speeding once. Fuckin' sucks.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I think you would have a good case in arguing that you have been prosecuted for the same crime twice, the fact it was detected twice shouldn't lead to two "crimes" being recorded against you.

It's interesting that the government is talking about reducing (or even eliminating) the number of points against a persons licence for being a few mph over the limit. A cynical person might hold the view that the authorities are concerned that their "customer" base might dry up if more people get banned.
One day, I'm gonna grow wings, a chemical reaction, hysterical and useless...

I did it, I've argue it and argue it for ages but they kept telling the same thing, I broke the speed limit twice and they are two different offences in different parts of the road.:S
They know what they do mate, they reallly do. Now I have 9 points in my licence, the 6 points I've told you before and another 3 from 2003 that luckily are expiring next September. Rigth now I am in a complete strees every time I drive my car as I know that just for being over the limit for 2 miles I will loose my licence.[:/]...

Blue ones

Last time I drove in the UK I thought the worst thing about it was the price of petrol. Next came trying to find a parking space. I don't think there were any more idiots driving than there are in the Chicago area.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.