sangiro

In Before The Lock (IBTL)

I'd like to see these posts disappear from the site.

Moderators have permission to lock any user who make an IBTL posts out of the forums for up to 2 days. Please stop this practice. If not, "in before the lock" will become very real to you. ;)

Thanks for your help.

Sangiro-

This brainchild of yours seems to be blowing up
and getting more popular in a geometric like progression.

I like the changes you've made in regard to
additional languages, making the venue truly international.
As well as, the additional focus forums...

You seem to have enough 'Like Minded' Greenies
on board now...

I'm not a 'putter geek...
but I was just wondering why not...if practical;

In the interest of band width conservation,
Have the "green gang" review and delete a ton of the
old and dated "IBTL" and "Troll" started,
bullshit threads?

There seem to be a lot of unnecessary one liner.
..two word...P.H. posts that add little to the site other
than a numbers boost to those doing it...
(I'm guilty too! :$)
And a revenue decrease to you,
having to cover the "Romper Room Rants"

...And since I'm on the subject;

Would you please go over again how one might make
a cash or personal check donation to Dropzone. Com?

I and others still in the caveman mentality.
..refuse to conduct any type of financial transactions
on the net wire...
Yet do feel obligated to "Buck up for a round or two"

Thanks,

-Jim

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I don't invite other people to provide content, then change my mind about what I like and don't like.

As it has been stated before, "THIS ISN'T A DEMOCRACY". It's no different than having a party at ones house and inviting people to come over. If during that party the host decides he doesn't like what is going on inside his house he tells people to leave and or stop doing what he doesn't approve of. It's his prerogative and his house. The party only continues as long as he allows it.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

It's all about conservation of storage. Why should he have to spend the cash to get more storage for US, when he can just weed out all the space wasting posts and/or threads?

Who says we have to spend money for storage? Like I said, ever heard of NetApp? I have some connections there. I just need to check what it takes to invoke it. I also need HH to tell me he needs it, otherwise I won't waste my time and favour points.

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

I know, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with or like every decision. Another way to look at it is I'm just providing feedback or alternative viewpoint. In a way, this IS a democracy. People vote by participating. This site would be nothing without that participation. No matter what the management does, short of stopping all posts, this site will thrive, since the only competition is rec.skydiving, and the noise factor there is legendary.

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

In a way, this IS a democracy. People vote by participating.

Using that analogy - you and I simply disagree on what people vote for. There is competition, there always have been. People just kept on voting for this forum for some reason. Feel free to set up a site with no rules and give it a go. :)
I don't need storage thanks. There's obviously a difference between storage and bandwidth. If you want to pay for one month of the latter that would be nice. Let me know where I can send the bill. :)
Bandwidth is however not the main issue here.

I reserve the right to allow on the site whatever I want and for however long I want. From time to time I (unfortunately) have to make calls about which practices I want to continue to see on the site and which not. That's just the way it is. Part of running a site with 25,000 registered users. You may not like it but there's not much I can do about that. It's still my call to decide where something, a habit or a post, is taking us and what I think the broader and long-term impact of allowing or disallowing it is.

In general, I think people have a hard time understanding when something has become stale, old, boring, annoying or just outlived its "funniness" and reached a point where it takes away more than it contributes. The infamous point of diminishing returns. Believe me when I say there's a lot of other habits and posts on here that I think should have been culled a long time ago. I'm trying to be very patient. It would have been very easy if people knew how to say "stop" as frequently and as easily as they say "start".

When we fail to do that my choices are: I either leave it until others become so annoyed and frustrated with it that it starts driving them away or, I stop it and run the risk of driving the people away who thinks that's the most important thread or topic on the forums. Either way, someone is not going to like it. That doesn't mean I can dodge the issue though.

If anyone out there is under the impression that I should leave "everything on the forums that gets posted" or "never interfere" and adopt a laissez faire style then you're barking up the wrong tree. I have a pretty good understanding of how web communities work. I have a good understanding of what allows them to flourish, and what kills them off. I learn every day, and I'm a pretty sharp guy. ;)

Contrary to popular believe, a community becomes useless and dies much easier and quicker with no order and regulation than in an environment where someone sets direction.

So, you may not like it or agree with every decision. In fact, I can guarantee that there will almost always be someone who doesn't like it - whatever "it" is. Trying to please everyone is a sign of mediocrity and in this specific case you only end up driving away the people who actually have something useful to say about skydiving.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Some people will bitch about anything. How can somone be upset that they can't post IBTL anymore?It's not like being a PW is going to make you popular or a better skydiver! Move on, read a different thread, visit a different web page.....or maybe just go skydive. geez....

Do you get pissed when a DZO makes a new rule? What do you do then? Either deal or go find another DZ. Seems to me this is a dead issue, and I'm surprised HH hasn't locked this one yet.

I know there are plenty of things that become annoying..but what also annoys me is if anybody dares have a different opinion from that of moderators/etc... they get a dozen posts telling them to go elsewhere if they don't like it. I see no problem with someone expressing their opinion. And yes, if they don't like it they can leave, but the sucking up annoys me more than the IBTL .

edit..and yes I have donated before.

I have never interpreted that as sucking up. And seeing as I'm the person they are apparently sucking up to....

I think the board moderates itself. People on here learn over time what the reaction will be and they post that before the moderators or I get to it. I do agree that multiple posts saying the same thing is a waste. I guess I could say it annoys me when people brand everyone who tries to help as "sucking up". :P

I see my fair share of sucking up happening here. That's just not one of them for me.

Here's one of my pet peeves: There seems to be a few people who tries to promote their own misguided brand of artificial "anarchy". Likewise there are users who seem to have annointed themselves as the protectors of the free expression and tries so hard to be different and "free spirited" that it actually looses it's credibility at the door.

Be all those things and more. We're not trying to suppress anyone's wild side. However, when people have to actually get up and make the point that they are "fighters for the cause", then they are usually not. Those who actually are don't have to say it - others will just see it.

I grew up in South Africa when it was riddled with apartheid. I know what a freedom fighter or somebody who fights for rights are and act like. I also know the bogus ones (who do it for their own benefit) from the real ones. ;)
Safe swoops
Sangiro

And yes, if they don't like it they can leave, but the sucking up annoys me more than the IBTL .

Actually, I fail to understand why it does not annoy the crap out of Sangiro. Any post he makes is instantly followed by a large number of "what he said" and "Like HH said, this aint blabla blabla." I believe that I have read those phrases more than any other over here.

This is just another point of view. It does not mean that I do not like Sangiro or his site, quite the contrary.

Sangiro, if you feel any negative comment someone makes should be followed by an invitation to "try to start your own website" (I have seen a few of those), that is obviously your prerogative. Bear in mind that someone like TitaniumLegs offering constructive criticism is actually being quite brave, considering the blind support you have here.

--
ZZZzzzz....

Why does Sangiro have to defend hisself here?
It's HIS website, end of story. I like this site, I enjoy reading the posts where I can hopefully learn something that might make me a better student, so I have no problem following the rules he set out concerning his site. I have other places where I can act a fool if I want to.

As long as you're at it, can we get rid of all these "re-post cops" posts? I'd wager a guess they take up as much if not more bandwith as the Re-posted posts themselves.

Besides, somtimes someone misses something the first time around.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

On the other hand, the repost post is a thread killer.. But I agree, it is getting old. Course, I've been guilty of it at times....

Edited to add: Thanks HH!!!
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

And yes, if they don't like it they can leave, but the sucking up annoys me more than the IBTL .

Actually, I fail to understand why it does not annoy the crap out of Sangiro. Any post he makes is instantly followed by a large number of "what he said" and "Like HH said, this aint blabla blabla." I believe that I have read those phrases more than any other over here.

This is just another point of view. It does not mean that I do not like Sangiro or his site, quite the contrary.

Sangiro, if you feel any negative comment someone makes should be followed by an invitation to "try to start your own website" (I have seen a few of those), that is obviously your prerogative. Bear in mind that someone like TitaniumLegs offering constructive criticism is actually being quite brave, considering the blind support you have here.

Personally, I refuse to follow most people, let alone follow anyone blindly (I usually bump into walls then, and that hurts). I can see that both sides in the argument have a valid point, and both sides have some very obvious negative side effects.

I've been "right" in arguments in the past with former bosses - and that is why they are now former bosses. I either left, or they told me to leave. As a manager, I had to fire people that were destructive to the company despite anything else they brought to the table.

I've seen the same thing happen at a DZ....why should a virtual DZ be any different.

I certainly don't agree with all the rules and things that HH and the Moderators force upon us on this board at times - but when is the last time you heard me bitch and whine about it, have that thread locked, then start a poll about it, have that one deleted, then bring it up again in a hundred other posts.

You rock HH

Those posts annoy the hell outta me >:(

They annoy me to, while we are at it can do something about posters who put up pictures of really old naked people and the same birds over and over?
I don't really mind the Eric Estrada posts cuz those are still funny!

Much ado about nothing.

I see them a lot and I pass them without a second thought.

To those that posted that it is very irritating, you may want to consider how marvelous your life must be if you can spare time and energy to be irritated over 4 silly words.

Then you can rejoice in your beautiful life every time you see them instead of being irritated.

Ban someone for posting IBTL?

People have posted actual pictures of their genitals here.
Thats rediculous, but its permitted. But you cant post
IBTL.

Gimme a break people [:/]

These forums are cool, dont wreck them with that kind of crap.

[QUOTE]Sangiro[/QUOTE]

Do you wear your DZ.com shirt in public hoping someone will recognize what it is and then realize who you are? :D:P

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...