drunkenmunkey

hurricane 150 with about 500 jumps

hi all,

i just put a hurricane 150 into my container this weekend to demo with the aim of buying it, but i have yet to jump it thanks to the torrential rain we have had all weekend.

i am just wondering what people who have many jumps on these canopies can recommend i look out for which could indicate the condition of it, and signs of performance issues as it is on its first lineset still.

What type of lines does it have on it? Get a line trim chart and measure it, that would be the best way to positively determine if it is out of trim.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

If it has 500 jumps on the microline lineset it used to come with, it's out of trim. The hurricane is a Katana like canopy and very high performance.

If it has 500 jumps with the HMA lineset they are now selling them with, it's also time for a reline as they are nearing the end of their lifespan.

Contact Louis Tomasso - he is the USA rep and can answer your questions :)
edited to add: I'm not entirely sure the Hurricane is your best choice in canopy right now (assuming you really do only have 200 jumps)

Blues,
Ian

Performance Designs Factory Team

i am just wondering what people who have many jumps on these canopies can recommend i look out for which could indicate the condition of it, and signs of performance issues as it is on its first lineset still.

If its microline and just out of trim, it can be re-trimmed.
I have seen this back magic performed by a master recently. The owner of that canopy noticed positive changes after that black magic.

Totally agree about retrimming VS relining. Retrimming generally also weakens the lines, which can lead to breakage - and you'll have to get it relined fairly soon anyway.

But --- please don't wait until there's a 5" difference in the A lines! Especially if it has Spectra lines, and as dramatic a planform as a Katana (not familiar with Hurricanes.) We saw the original Katanas with Spectra line start to have serious deployment issues with as little as 200-250 jumps. I'm very glad they went to a more dimensionally stable line.

Just plan on getting the thing relined, in my opinion (and if you're buying it used, factor that into the cost.)

Kind of like with race cars. More performance = more critical maintenance ;)

thanks for your posts

in response to ian, i believe the canopy was made in 2001 or 2002 and the lines appear to be spectra.

it is true that i am on 214 jumps, and i am sure for many people, is too few jumps to consider a canopy of this design, but for me canopy flying is my favourite part of the skydive, i have undertaken much canopy coaching, and dedicated many jumps purely to learning about my current sabre 150.

i feel with this canopy i can change to an eliptical platform, whilst still staying at a relatively light loading of just under 1.2lb / ft.

edited to add: I'm not entirely sure the Hurricane is your best choice in canopy right now (assuming you really do only have 200 jumps)

Why do you say that? For me changing to an elliptical sorted out my landing issues. I feel much safer under my hurricane than I ever did under the squares. It seems to handle turbulence better too. If the OP has a sensible wing loading and is changing only the planform, not downsizing, why is the hurricane not the best choice?

-Chanti-

Well i almost ordered a lineset, having a few probs with the factory..

i have searched a few threads about HMA lines and a lot of peaple are recommending non-cascaded HMA lines as being more stable and longer lasting. is this the case, and is there any down sides to non-cascaded hma lines?