flyingfencer

meaning of a missing serial number?

This is probably nothing, but does it mean anything in particular if a canopy doesn't have a serial number or dom marked on the warning label? it's in excellent condition but the only number in that grid is the maximum gross weight, which is only slightly faded (implying that the rest didn't fade, they were simply never marked). No sign of the numbers being erased or anything like that...

I am selling my canopy which is only two years and 246 jumps old, and I noticed the same thing. My serial number is so faded that I cannot read it. All the numbers are faded equally (I can barely read anything).

I am now wondering where I can get the serial number in case a buyer wants to know it.
... Marion

I don't mean to discourage people from also replying to marion, but my question is from the buyer's side. I'm looking at a canopy which is in great condition so it doesn't look like it would have faded. If manufacturers don't stamp/write on the crest does that mean anything in particular?

For a while, the PD warning label were wearing out really fast... really really fast. My wife got a Specter with 100 jumps on it from a very reputable source, and it was already 1/2 illegeable. Now that the canopy has about 700 jumps, its completely illegeable.

Bottom line, its a case of knowing where the canopy comes from.
Remster

A fellow jumper sent his Sabre back for a reline. I guess PD was able to determine it 's S/N because they put a brand new label with S/N on it. My 12 y/o Sable's label has faded and can't be read.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Rem, Monky,

If you crawl through a PD canopy you can usually find the s/n written inside the canopy on at least one of (if not more) of the ribs.

A ways back when I sent my Sabre 170 in for a re-line, the death lable had long since become illegable, but they were able to recover the s/n from reading it off of one of the ribs (and then the DOM from their records) and reprint both on the death lable with a sharpie without replaceing the whole death label.

I knew the s/n was on a rib somewhere because I had seen it before.

If you crawl through a PD canopy you can usually find the s/n written inside the canopy on at least one of (if not more) of the ribs.

It pretty much is standard practice for canopy manufacturer's to do this now.

Depending on the manufacturer, it is usally just one spot inside though!

Pisa was the first I know of to do it years ago.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

I figured as much.

I still want to say I've seen the s/n at two spots on the inside of my Sabre... but don't really feel like pulling it out now and crawling through it to confirm or deny... low beer light is on here. ;)

Anyway, if it really is at two places on the inside, I wonder if its the same s/n in both places... :S

I've seen this exact thing a lot. Usually the wt limit is toward the top of the label and doesn't fade as much/as quickly as the SN and DOM do. Also, some manufacturers use stamps, some use 'Sharpie'-type pens, etc. and they wear out at different rates.

It's intriguing, though - could you post a picture?

I have never seen a label where I immediately thought: "Hey, this thing never had a SN/DOM written on it!" I have often seen them wear off very quickly.

I've seen two canopies where they were obliterated on the label. One was stolen; the other didn't show up on the stolen gear database, and I was told it had been 'decomissioned' or 'retired' from the military.

Can anyone confirm this - that retired military gear might have the SN obliterated?

Thanks.

Can anyone confirm this - that retired military gear might have the SN obliterated? ***

Yes & no. I have a Y & B round reserve that has had the SN cut out and removed, just under some other funny looking stamp that says something about property of _ _ _ _ _ _
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I'm in the same boat.

Was looking at my Pilot's warning label for the first time in ages, and noticed: All the information was gone. With really close inspection I can just about work out what it was, but I'll have to check with Aerodyne to know for sure. This canopy is about a year and a half old, and has only been jumped for a little over a year.

I wonder, could labels in general be made better?
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

My old pilot had less than 200 jumps on and you could only just make out the generic black print - the SN and other stuff was completely gone.

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

I told someone who is an Aerodyne dealer about the problem and they told me that the ink Aerodyne used that year faded really fast and that it was an issue they were aware of. So there are probably many people with this problem.
... Marion