Laurel

Memorial for Robert "G.D." Williams

G.D., a long-time jumper with Gold Coast Skydivers, died in a canopy collision this past weekend. He was 75 years old and had just completed 24 hours of freefall. G.D. was the spriteliest man. Everytime I would see him and ask how he was doing, he would do a little jig and say, "I can still dance, so I'm fine!" His family has set up a fund for him via USPA and his memorial service is July 30. Information about both are below:

Chapel of the Holy Comforter,
2220 Lakeshore Drive, New Orleans, LA 70122

Sunday, 30 July 2006
2:00 PM Visitation -- We'll have a display area, so feel free to bring any photos or memorabilia.
3:00 PM Memorial Celebration -- All are welcome to share their favorite stories and pay tribute.
Following the Memorial -- We'll have light refreshments for anyone who wants to stay and chat.

For more information, call Flora Williams at 504.220.2150 or John Lyon at 504.669.7152.
Fuki Williams (his wife) can be reached at 504.393.2825. Her mailing address is 2120 Comet Street, New Orleans, LA 70131.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests a donation be
made to the National Skydiving Museum For more information, visit http://www.nationalskydivingmuseum.org/HOWTOCONTRIBUTE.htm or mail the US Parachute Team Trust Fund (TTF) or the Airport Access Defense (AAD) fund via USPA at 540l Southpoint Centre Blvd,
Fredericksburg, VA 22407 in memory of Robert G.D.Williams. Cards can be sent to Fuki's address above.

"For anyone who can't make this memorial, we are
planning to have a ceremony to scatter his ashes during a dive sometime in the fall. My dad was a
brave man; I hope I can find some of his strength in me and be the one to do it." - Flora
PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M

Hello Laurel,
I'm sorry to hear about G.D.'s death. I didn't know him personally but he was friends with many of the people at ECSC. This is a terrible loss for GoldCoast and the entire skydiving community. My condolences go out to both his natural and his skydiving family.
"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

They've set up a memorial page here on dropzone.com at:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/remember/page.cgi?g=Robert_G_D__Williams%2Findex.html&d=1%22

I never knew his real name was Robert, I always just knew him as G.D. I was looking back through my logbook, and he always signed "G.D. Williams D-6210". He told me the G.D. was short for Gunga Din, but I don't think I ever heard the story for how he got that nickname. If anybody else knows how he came by the Gunga Din nickname, I'd love to hear.