pchapman

MT-1 packing: reserve loop length, & flat vs pro-pack

I'm packing a ParaFlite MT-1XX rig and wanted to know what the length should be, for the 2-pin closing loop.

Also, do people simply pro-pack the reserve?

I'm following a military video manual that shows flat packing. The loop in the rig seems almost impossibly tight. I'm just wondering if the closing loop is a shorter replacement, that might be appropriate if the rig had been propacked the last time.

Try Googling TM 10-1670-287-23&P. The reserve packing can be done in the same manner as the MC-4 and its illustrated. The TM specifies that the reserve closing loop(s) should be 1" from the washer to the end of the loop.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Not that it makes a difference about the question on the reserve, but I have more jumps on a MT-1XX than anything else and I BY FAR had the best and most comfortable openings with a flat pack on the main. Propacks were always hit or miss, some were slammers and when you try to slow them down they can feel like streamers.
"GOT LEAD?"

I have an MT-1XX and an MC-4 and I ALWAYS flat pack them. I get better openings and it is easier than PRO packing - too much nylon to conveniently handle. Too easy to miss something amidst all that canopy. Make certain your rigger flat packs the reserve, also.

Ripcord,

I have an MT-1X that needs to be built up and a complete MC-4. Haven't jumped the MC-4 yet. Anything special I need to know before I jump it? Is it easy to convert to a BOC system? I am leery of using the handle as is. So used to BOC system.

Is your MT-1X black like mine or is that rare? Several people I know were surprised that I have a black harness and container. Just curious.

And before any one says anything, I AM waiting till I get more jumps under my belt before I jump the HALO rig. I am not comfortable enough yet.

David

David,

I have heard that some people convert from a ripcord to a BOC on the MC-4, but I can not say if it would be worthwhile or not. I have no problems using the ripcord on the MC-4. Just remember not to throw it - hold on to it - they are expensive! LOL

MY MC-4 is black also. I have been told that the black h & c's were made for the USN SEALS, but have no proof of that. They are not all that uncommon.

When you jump the MC-4, remember it a a LARGE canopy and you will not have a lot of penetration with it...stay with lower wind speeds. It is a big, heavy rig but you will have no problems with it anmd they are fun to jump as well as a great attention getter.

I to have an MC-4 but mine is a gray color. My rigger had no problem converting it over to BOC and also put a cypress in it for me. On windy days it is hard to get penetration but it is a very slow and comfortable ride, enjoy the ride.
STEP OUT AND FEEL THE RUSH!!!! LATER
SKYBOMB