ccowden

Women jumping while pregnant

I didn't necessarily mean you (or anyone here specifically), just people in general. I have heard so many people, so many... make comments about pregnant women doing things. Anything from eating sushi to drinking coffee to flying in airplanes, the list goes on.

My wife passed out and took a header into the floor when she was about 1 month in and it was just from doing a bit too much housework. So, I think skydiving is pushing it a bit.

I think that for your wife, skydiving probably wouldn't have been a good thing. But every woman handles pregnancy differently. My hunch would be that there is no 'right' answer for this as every person's physiology of pregancy is different. Some are on bedrest for the last couple of months of pregancy but that doesn't mean every woman needs to be.

It's really a case by case decision that is between the mother and her doctor.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

My OB had told me that riding a bicycle and horse were more likely to harm than skydiving. Not sure why, I didn't do either at the time.

Wendy W.

(stupid man speculating) Maybe because horses are rough and bouncy and bike riding puts the abdomen in a bad position?

Chris, Keep in mind that each woman's body handles pregnancy differently - and each pregnancy that a woman has is different. So how a woman reacts to pregnancy 1 isn't necessarily how she'll react to pregnancy 2.

To expand on my previous post and give background on my thoughts. I found out Dec. 18, 1999 that I was pregnant. I had what most women would envy as a pregnancy - no morning sickness, no moodiness, no wacko cravings - to all intents and purposes a "perfect" pregnancy.

I stopped drinking coffee the day I found out (and those that know me know how hard that was :S). I stopped eating/drinking anything with artificial sweeteners in it. I increased my fruit/vegetable intake. Worked out exactly like my ob/gyn said - 85% of what was "normal." Stopped using (and removed it from the bed), my electric blanket because some reasearch had said it could interfere with the pregnancy. Basically, I did everything possible to give the little baby growing inside of me a chance.

On March 25, 2000, I gave birth (prematurely, obviously) to a stillborn baby girl. What happened you ask? Did I get hurt? Get into an accident? Fall? Nope...none of that. What happened was a genetic event - nondisjunction event during myosis that resulted in a missing chromosome (Turner's syndrome).

I did everything according to the book. I did what people think a pregnant woman should do. And, through no fault of my own, she died.

So, for me, should I ever have the pleasure of getting pregnant again, I will live my life with the modifications my body requires as mentioned in my previous post all the while listening to what my ob/gyn says.

A woman's life doesn't stop because she gets pregnant nor should she all of the sudden stop doing what she's used to. She should listen to her body, her ob/gyn, and her conscience. Those are the best guides for her.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

And my first obstetrician told me that some women have a miscarriage just from stepping off the bottom rung of a ladder. Well, there go my plans to walk up and down the stairs at work to stay in shape :S

What ladyskydiver is true; it's between the woman, her body, her doctor, and the father. The order is determined by the individual situation.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Yes, but my wife didn't think she was going to pass out from doing housework either. She THOUGHT she was being perfectly cautious.

I totally see your point. Why choose to take ANY risk when even the non-risks become iffy...

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

One thing that my OB said, and I'll advise anyone, is don't start new physical stuff while you're pregnant by and large (gentle exercise is probably OK). I.e. it's not the time to take your tandem jump, or start running, etc.

I was an experienced skydiver at the time. Cutting back a notch (so that I always stayed in my comfort zone) was not hard. If I were a beginner, I'd've probably quit for the duration. Swooping wasn't done in those days, so the idea landing was the softest possible tippy-toe.

Things aren't always ideal, but if you cut back a notch, and don't jump when conditions are doubtful, and consider who you're jumping with, you control a lot of factors.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ok, ok. I hear the point that it is different with every woman and each woman's body is different in handling pregnancy. But skydiving is skydiving. The dangers of skydiving don't care if your OB said it is ok or that your body is physically healthy. You are jumping out of friggin airplanes when you are carrying a child. THESE factors have ZERO to do with how your body handles pregnancy. Skydiving is an extremely risky activity in which countless things can go wrong. No one ever goes for a jump and thinks, "well, this is probably the jump I am gonna get hurt on." Shit happens. When you are pregnant it is not only your own life you are risking, it is now the life of your child's as well. This is my major point. Is jumping out of airplanes REALLY that important that you are willing to risk your child's life for it? I understand that we need to keep living and can't live in a plastic bubble, but I also understand that there are certain responsibilities that you take on to get pregnant and things you should give up for the welfare of your child.

But, this is just my opinion.

Skydiving is a risky thing to do while pregnant (and when not pregnant for that matter), I think we can all agree on that; and it's clear that it's not the right choice for you and yours, but it might be for other people, and it's their choice and their choice alone. :)

That is why I am curious why skydiving is a risk some women are willing to take with their child, yet I doubt many 4 month pregnant women would strap on a pair of downhill skis and hit the slopes. Is it the false security that nothing can go wrong?

I'm pregnant. I jumped a few times until I found out when I was about 6 weeks along. Actually, the week before I found out, I was getting ready to head down to the DZ but just felt very light headed, kinda' queazy, etc. and decided that I just wasn't going to go that day. I did not jump after that day and shortly thereafter found out I was pregnant and decided to stop jumping for awhile (i.e. after I give birth and however long after that). That was just how I felt....for a variety of reasons. My OB/GYN believed that I would be ok to jump up until about 4 mos. but I just didn't feel it so I didn't.....for a variety of reasons, low jump nos., only jumped about twice a month, etc. Yes, I was aware of the inherit risk that came along with skydiving and yes that added to my decision to stop jumping but that was me.

I see your points Chris but quite frankly feel those who jump AFTER they give birth are putting their children at risk as well - that's how I feel. Yes, you can plan all you want (life insurance, someone to take care of your children if you die, etc.) but YOU are making a decision for your child that may seriously affect how that child develops and who that child becomes. I don't know how I'll feel after I have a baby. I don't know if I'll be willing to take the risk and make my husband and child take the same risk in case I die. Yes, I know that we can all die in a car accident, etc. but I agree with you in that this something that is NOT a necessary risk so to speak.

My opinion is that this is one of the MOST selfish sports anyway you cut it. While we as jumpers are willing to pay the ultimate price to satisfy our desires (some say "needs") to jump, we also make that decision for everyone who loves us, cares for us and depends on us.

So in final, I guess I too fall into the catergory of it's a personal decision for the jumper and the immediate family of the jumper - as well as whoever has been given the responsibility to take care of that child if and/or when something happens to that jumper.

Chris, I think you may be thinking about it so much b/c there really is not "right" or "wrong" answer - like most things in life it depends on the people and the situation.

Edited to add: Before I became pregant, I thought A LOT differently about all this and truly believe I would be jumping my little butt off until I just didn't feel right. Turns out, I didn't feel right before I even found out I was pregnant but once I knew for sure, I just did not want to take the risk.

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

If I were pregnant (which I'm not, rumor mill).. I would take a break from jumping. I'd also quit drinking, drive a little slower, and try not to trip and fall down any stairs. Anything I can do to care for my body while my child is growing inside me would become a very high priority. My life experience has taught me that shit always happens when you push the envelope. I'd go a little crazy from not jumping, but theres no question that its not worth the risk.
There. Thats where I stand.. since you asked. ;)

WOW - Congratulations!

That's AWESOME!! What are you going to name Him/Her?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

That is why I am curious why skydiving is a risk some women are willing to take with their child, yet I doubt many 4 month pregnant women would strap on a pair of downhill skis and hit the slopes. Is it the false security that nothing can go wrong?

Well I can't answer why other people do what they do, but I'm 19 weeks along right now, and a month ago I was jumping. Had it been snowing I would have grabbed my snowboard as well. Why? Because I wasn't showing a whole bunch, and the risks were acceptable to me (and my s/o). I have stopped jumping now until the baby is born, and I wouldn't hit the slopes anymore given the chance; but I'd still ride my motorcycle on a cool(er) day and everything else in my life is the same (without alcohol).

I agree with almost all of your post. And once I became a father, I came to the conclusion that skydiving was not a risk I was willing to take anymore, both for myself and for my wife and son, so I walked away from jumping. I can't say it was any ONE factor, but all of what you listed are reasons I considered and ultimately made my decision.

I decided that being home with my wife and son was way more important than going skydiving and besides the risk of being killed, I also didn't want to give up the time with them. And this summer has been the most rewarding, fun summer I have ever had. Giving up jumping has had zero negative effect.

Congrats on your pregnancy!!:)

I see your points Chris but quite frankly feel those who jump AFTER they give birth are putting their children at risk as well - that's how I feel.

I think the difference though is that if you skydive after the baby you are not strapping them up and taking them along with you...

I would stop if I were pregnant...just my own opinion. I agree with skymama...I couldn't forgive myself if something happened to my baby.

That's why they don't let pregnant women on roller coasters...;)

That's why they don't let pregnant women on roller coasters

As far as I know, it's just a recommendation, not a policy.

Roller coasters aren't recommended for pregnant women because the sudden starts and stops/jolts could *possibly* cause the placenta to seperate from the uterus (placental abruption). There aren't any sutdies that indicate whether roller coaster riding is actually safe or not.

I skied while pregnant with both my sons till I was about six months. I also skydived.

What my doctor told me was that I could continue my life style of skiing and skydiving, biking and working out, but to listen to my body. The doctor did say that if I wasn't doing those activities before I was pregnant, he would have insisted that I not take them up while pregnant.

Way back when I was pregnant and skydiving, I had a huge main and reserve. My first son was born on a Wednesday and I was in the class room to get my JM rating on that Friday night!
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I just think it is interesting to think about from a different perspective. What do you think about it?

To be honest Chris, your posts in this thread haven't sounded like you're trying to think about it from a different perspective, but rather trying to get others to agree with your perspective.

I have a daughter, and the latter half of the pregnancy was tough due to the placenta partially tearing away from the uterus. I still feel it's a decision a mother & father have to make for themselves.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I emailed the author of the parachutist article but since I haven't gotten my copy yet I can't comment on it specifically but....

I had 4 children and went skydiving up to the 5th to 7th month with each one. My Dr. told me to do what I normally did. So I did. I didn't think of it as any extra "risk". I took extra precautions while skydiving but other than that it's something I would normally do. Why do we have to quit living just because we are pregnant or have kids? Would you as a man like to quit skydiving because your wife is pregnant? I was sure enough of myself to judge what a risk was. Jumping on a nice sunny day, low winds, with people I always jumped with on a DZ that I always jumped at using gear that I always used... What would the problem be?
As for having an extra "passenger" along, Tandem instructors do that all day long. No one says anything about that! And they don't even know the people or how their health is when they go up. I'd had my "Passenger" checked by the Dr. to make sure things were fine. I don't see what the big deal is on this subject.
If a woman knows she has a problem pregnancy or health issues she's not going to do anything like this. I can't see any woman who is pregnant doing something that might put her or her baby in danger. I wouldn't. I didn't.