FlyinDawg

Question about a rig

I have a buddy who build my house. He used be jumper. He have a Dolphin rig with main 194 and reserve 199. I was told main is Clipper. I never heard of that name and said its 10 years or older. Reserve is Raven canopy. comment about it? He let me try it before buy. Of course, I will take to rigger first and repack both canopies cos he haven't jump for 2 years.
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

"To understand is to forgive, even oneself."

How much do you weigh? Is the reserve a raven, or maybe a super raven?

One of my concerns when looking at older used gear is the max weight on the reserve and how it is going to land. I have passed a couple of things because I don't want to risk over loading an older reserve.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I don't think I would jump the Clipper... Just my opinion... I haven't seen anyone jumping one lately. The Raven reserve should be okay, but at your experience level, your exit weight fully geared up should be approximately the same as the size of the main, not too much more anyway.

But of course, have a rigger check it out, and if its airworthy, do a couple test jumps on it.

Dolphin rigs are dirt cheap and ugly, but functional.

Good luck.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I have a buddy who build my house. He used be jumper. He have a Dolphin rig with main 194 and reserve 199. I was told main is Clipper. I never heard of that name and said its 10 years or older. Reserve is Raven canopy. comment about it? He let me try it before buy. Of course, I will take to rigger first and repack both canopies cos he haven't jump for 2 years.

If you're under 170 pounds in weight, the Clipper doesn't have more than a few hundred jumps, the price is very low (maybe under $900?) , you get decent landings on it after a few test jumps, and you can't afford a more modern main it might be a fine choice.

There's nothing inherently wrong with this rig.

The container is still available. There have been a few modifications to make the Dolphin more free fly friendly. I think these can all be retrofited to an older Dolphin. Get the serial number and call Altico. They may be able to tell you what alterations you might want to add and how much. For belly flying I'm sure it's fine the way it is. The reserve is a widely used reserve, perhaps not the most popular but much of that is marketing. I have two Raven reserves. I doubt it would be an original Raven versus a Super Raven, but you should have your rigger check. I do NOT recommend an original Raven be used as a reserve.

The Clipper is still available new. http://www.flightconcepts.com/9cell.html.
The 0-3 cubic feet per minute (cfm) type fabric (aka F-111 even though that was a brand of fabric that hasn't been available for years) does wear out. The air flow through the fabric increases and performance decreases. While not the latest innovation I jumped a similar class but bigger canopy last weekend and remembered what I enjoyed about non zp canopies. Easy to pack, quick but easy opening with dacron lines, ability to sink in brakes and still flare for a soft landing. You won't be able to learn the very latest in canopy flight techniques but your not ready for them yet. I'd probably recommend a total exit weight of you and the gear certainly no more than 195 lbs and probably not more than 175 to 180. That mean your weight 150 to 170. This all depends on number of jumps and condition of main.

Sounds like a good starter rig if you've been trained on 0-3 cfm canopies. If you've been trained on zp canopies you may not want to step "back" to f-111.

FWIW I don't own any gear less than 10 years old.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Billy, I can't help you with your question except to say the rig would be fine (w/riggers approval, of course) with possible minor modifications for free-flying such as Councilman indicated but I really think you will like a newer ZP canopy in the long run.

....I just have to say to Councilman:

"FWIW I don't own any gear less than 10 years old."

Cheap bastard or a Man's Man...either way, B|
One of my rigs is 10 and the other 13.
:D:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Funny!
That reminds me of a conversation earlier this week, when a young jumper asked me about a similar Dolphin.
All the components were in good shape after only a few hundred jumps.
I replied, "That main should last you another few hundred jumps, but you will probably get another thousand jumps out of that harness and reserve."

Considering his income (starving young pilot, who just graduated to Navajos) that $800 Dolphin (including canopies) is probably the only rig he will be able to afford this year.