Slappie

Very awesome pic! 56k beware

Those are the payload doors, the rest of the shuttle is fairly securely insulated from that area. If you look real close at the second from right (top in that picture) cockpit window you can see an astronaut's arm:)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Those are the payload doors, the rest of the shuttle is fairly securely insulated from that area. If you look real close at the second from right (top in that picture) cockpit window you can see an astronaut's arm:)

Thank you! I appreciate what you've said here. I learned something!
I'm going back, for another look.
edit to add. On closer looking, I could see the astronauts. Too cool!

Chuck

cockpit window you can see an astronaut's arm

I've had a bit of debate here at the office about this. I'm in the camp that says it's holding a camera, taking a picture of the ISS as they flip over.

Either way... I love that picture. From some research it's somewhere over Spain when the picture was taken on July 6th.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

I've had a bit of debate here at the office about this. I'm in the camp that says it's holding a camera, taking a picture of the ISS as they flip over.

I can see that, but what do others say it is?

They just argue that the person is doing nothing, it's just there... Maybe waving.

I see a camera though.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

I'm in the camp that says it's holding a camera, taking a picture of the ISS as they flip over.

I totally did not notice the camera, that is too cool.

The classic scenario of a photographer capturing a photographer.... but it's in space!!:D:DB|
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Those are the payload doors, the rest of the shuttle is fairly securely insulated from that area

The payload bay doors are opened very shortly after the shuttle reaches orbit. Among other things, they contain what are effectively radiators that are part of the temperature control system for the shuttle.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Teach us more:)

YES YES MORE MORE MORE!!

My best friends dad designed the glove they wear when doing a space walk. He brought a pair home one day and showed all us kids. B|

They just argue that the person is doing nothing, it's just there... Maybe waving.

I see a camera though.

He's absolutely holding a camera. You can see the lens and just a hint of his left hand.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Believe it or not, there's a whole lot of good stuff on How Stuff Works, Wikipedia, and the NASA websites.

That said, I took a cool tour of the flight crew equipment area the other day; where they prepare the suits, food (yes, I tasted some), and pack the clothing for each mission.

The amount of preparation that goes into a mission is incredible. But as soon as you think something is ridiculous (they pick only whole crackers and goldfish -- no broken ones) you find out the reason (broken ones are more likely to have crumbs that can clog the air filters and be inhaled).

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)