grue

Mel Gibson arrested for DUI

I wonder how much his speechwriter made, coming up with that load of BS.

It's refreshing to see that he made a public statement, so many people have a hard time these days admitting that they behaved badly or did something wrong.

The only reason he made a public statement was because the true story got leaked. Anybody really think he would have admitted it? :S
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Nice try.... but Drink and Driving is not a joke and no misdemeanor.... it ruins peoples lives (and not just the arses that do it).

This isn't me defending Mel Gibson and what he did; however, if ANYONE wants to point a finger and call someone a hypocrite, they need to remember they have 4 more fingers pointing back at themselves.

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

Sorry, I realize that ... my bad.

I've known people affected by these idiots that drink and drive and am [maybe] hyper senstitve on this subject. As far as I'm concerned, you cannt lock them up for long enough.

Sorry,

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

so do you think the officer lied in the police report? There is a copy of the original you can read. I don't know what to think.

Think that he F'd up like anyone else. and its and embarrassment to him. I feel sorry for him but I appreciate the in depth statement he made when he COULD have had his lawyer come out and say 'no statement'.

I think he blew it, and needs help, and is asking for the chance to get it. Bad move in acting like that, good move in not hiding behind the 'no comment'.~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

If you understand alcoholism then you understand blackouts. If you need more research look here...http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Alcohol+Blackout

I have personally gone through them. It is not a good feeling and you do not remember shit.

It is a sickness and needs to be cured. The only way to cure it is not drinking.

Blame and make fun of him all you want but I bet he vaguely remembers what happened. If at all.

[:/]

I'm not making fun of alcoholism and/or its effects. My comment is on celebrities in general.

They never admit to any wrong doing until the evidence is indisputable, if they do then. If they break their silence they do not apologize and admit guilt but instead make a statement and blame anything (drugs, alcohol, and stress are popular) or anyone for the problem but themselves . I know innocent until proven guilty, but kinda hard to dispute most traffic stops with a camera running on you.

It's not like he'll get anything more than a slap on the wrist anyway. He'll do a PSA as his community service, pay a fine, and donate some money to some charity.

I'm not making fun of alcoholism and/or its effects. My comment is on celebrities in general.

They never admit to any wrong doing until the evidence is indisputable, if they do then. If they break their silence they do not apologize and admit guilt but instead make a statement and blame anything (drugs, alcohol, and stress are popular) or anyone for the problem but themselves . I know innocent until proven guilty, but kinda hard to dispute most traffic stops with a camera running on you.

It's not like he'll get anything more than a slap on the wrist anyway. He'll do a PSA as his community service, pay a fine, and donate some money to some charity.

So the part in his statement saying sorry and feeling ashamed of his actions does not constitute and apology to you..:S:S
Fortunately the act of apolosising is not dependant on it's accepteance by others
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

> If they break their silence they do not apologize and admit guilt
>but instead make a statement and blame anything (drugs, alcohol, and
>stress are popular) or anyone for the problem but themselves .

"I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed."

"I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested . . .

"I am deeply ashamed of everything I said and I apologise to anyone who I have offended."

"Also, I take this opportunity to apologise to the deputies involved for my belligerent behaviour."

Sorry, I don't see "it was the alcohol/stress, not me!" anywhere. He goes out of his way to say it _was_ him.

Blame and make fun of him all you want but I bet he vaguely remembers what happened. If at all.

I don't know... 0.12% BAC isn't exactly blotto. More like a buzz. Especially for an alcoholic who's got a lot of experience at that level or more.

He'da been better off just cooperating with the cops, then issue his contrived statement later. He'd be forgiven in a matter of days. As for risking everyone else's life with Tequila and a Lexus, then making threats at the cop arresting him, let alone his statements about, well, you know... what-eh-ver.

Screw that and those on this thread squawkin 'hypocrisy'. If I'm DUI, I'd be the first to point my finger at myself. Hey, after all, that would leave four more fingers to point at Mr Gibson, right?

I'm behind shropshire. Those touched by this crime have no tolerance for it, sorry. Actually, not sorry.
Ohne Liebe sind wir nichts

If he had just said that and not added:

"I have battled the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologise for any behaviour unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health."

I'd agree with you. By closing with this he (in my mind at least) softballed it.

You don't honestly believe he came up with that load of crap on his own, do you????

No, he probably got a lot of that crap from his dad, who is a notorious Holocaust denier in Australia. It almost came to the surface when "Passion of the Christ" was released, but the reason so many Jews got so uptight with Mel is that he's never disavowed any of the garbage his old man spews out in public. Instead he says cute things, like how his dad has never lied to him...

Most people I know, including myself, who spew out nasty stuff when they're shitfaced, unfortunately believe the shit they're spewing. It's just their normal sense of caution and discretion has abandoned them.

So for what it's worth, it's safe to conclude Mel's a virulent anti-Semite and his secret is out now for anyone who chooses to pay attention. Because he's not going to repeat it for anyone who missed it this once.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Mel is normal, he's human..no different than any of us...except that he got busted and you didn't....yet. Doesn't change my opinion of him. I think he's an awesome actor and will plan to continue to see his movies.

Furthermore, he's a f'n moviestar so he won't pay shit for consequence..he has tons of $$$ to afford attorneys to get him out of his shit.:S I'm not worried about him or his future..he'll be just fine.

If you understand alcoholism then you understand blackouts. If you need more research look here...http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Alcohol+Blackout

I have personally gone through them. It is not a good feeling and you do not remember shit.

It is a sickness and needs to be cured. The only way to cure it is not drinking.

Where am I making fun of him? I think he has been brave and said things that he did not HAVE to say at this time.~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

"After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed.

"I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable.

"I have battled the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologise for any behaviour unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health."

Sounds like he wants to claim he did not mean what he was saying because he was intoxicated and out of control.

1:I have never in my life said anything when I was drunk that I did not mean. Just said things that I later wished I had kept to myself.

2: The legal limit to drive is .08% which I beleive is approximately 2 drinks for an average sized adult (please correct me if I am wrong on that). He was at .12% ( 3 beers).....How out of control could he have been?

Sounds like Mel needs to take a little more personal responsibility for his actions instead of blaming that big mean bottle of beer for forcing him to do that.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I think its more like 4 drinks for a 170 lb man.

anyway, from the way he acted it sounds like he had a helluva lot more than 3 drinks in him. also sometimes those breathalyzers can give variable results.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------