kaerock

Adhesives safe for application to rigs.

So I was thinking about which adhesives would be safe for cordura (or any similar synthetic type material) rigs if someone wanted to apply say...a patch or emblem of some sort.

Any recommendations?

-R

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

The first answer is none.;)

But there are parts of the rig that you might not care about the effect. The reserve pin protector flap, the mud flaps, maybe the main pin protector flap. On these parts where a rigger may decide any effect doesn't matter I might chose to use the fusable stuff you get at the fabric store and use with an iron.

If possible sewing a patch on a flap would probably be the preferable method.

PLEASE consult your rigger before you start glueing stuff on.

FYI many (most/all?) harnesses are glued together with a hot glue gun to hold them in place prior to sewing. But be careful with the hot tip if you try this.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

The only other concern I would have is that if the patch should come off for some reason, you're left with a big spot of adhesive on the rig. That in itself isn't a big deal, but stuff like dirt, etc... will stick to that, and little grains of sand or what have you can cut fibers and do damage to the rig.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

I am my rigger ;>

Also, the question more generally directed towards cordura and other similar type synthetics, not specifically to rigs or skydiving equipment. I was looking for an adhesive that would bond well with the synthetic without degrading it or coming off too easily. A glue-gun would work in that you can apply the glue to the patch itself, then press it onto the 'rig', averting any concern with melting the 'rig' fabric with the gun, my only concern would be with any chemical reactions between the glue and the cordura.

I can look in to the fusible stuff you mentioned...have any brand names or should looking for 'fusible' be sufficient?

thanks,
-R

brilliant reply, by the way, thanks for that addition! I am now two cents richer and none the wiser.

Cman said:
PLEASE consult your rigger before you start glueing stuff on.

FYI many (most/all?) harnesses are glued together with a hot glue gun to hold them in place prior to sewing. But be careful with the hot tip if you try this.

WORD!

No, I don't know the names of the stuff. Some is used for temporary basting (sp?) in "real" sewing and some is for iron on appliques like this. I've used it for patchs on uniform shirts. But don't expect to ever get it off and have it look pretty again. I don't have a clue about using it on load bearing or critical material. But it is easier than sewing on something with limited access.

Walk into a fabric store and tell them what you want. They'll point you in the right direction.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

We've already established that the question was directed generally towards adhesives and synthetic materials, not skydiving equipment specifically. Being a rigger, I am quite aware of what the dos and don'ts are concerning modifications (practically and legally), in addition to being legally qualified, there is no need to be The Captain and state the obvious.

Again, thank you for your invaluable addition.

>:(

The point being...

"PLEASE consult your rigger before you start glueing stuff on."

If you want to "self rig" though, good luck with that. I hope you don't do something that would cause you to bounce yourself.