geek

Scott Cowan of Quantum Leap Funeral Arrangements (Sullivan MO)

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I'm not there, I do not sleep.
I am the essence of a clear blue sky.
I am the yearning to climb very high.
I am the breeze you feel as you spot.
I am the rapture of flying your slot.
I am the rustle of a canopy in flight.
I am the flicker of camp fire light.
When you pass through the door into open air,
I know you're smiling, I am the wind in your hair.
So do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.
[unknown author]

BSBD my friends. You will not be forgotten, but you will be missed.

I lost my best friends Saturday.....these guys were my life and my saving grace is I still have an incedibly good friend that is doing good in the hospital......Even though I dan't have picutes of them I would like everyone to also give prayers to Melissa's family(our recent AFF grad that we lost) and Victoria's Family(our tandem student)....and also give good thoughts to Steve who is doing well and Kim who is doing excellent in their recoveries. Please forgive any spelling errors....it is really hard to type though the tears.
Endless Blue Skies to all my lost Friends
Kelly

Any news on the 2 still hospitalized?[

A tribute from Kimberley Dear's family to her instructor, Robert Cook.

http://www.waynesvilledailyguide.com/articles/2006/08/03/news/news05.txt

(copied here just in case this news thread goes away)

Australian family says Laquey skydiver died as hero

Published: Thursday, August 3, 2006 11:45 AM CDT

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — As the family and friends of Robert Cook gather this afternoon for visitation services, they will remember not only an adventurous, ambitious young man, but also a hero. Cook, one of six skydivers killed in a Missouri plane crash died a hero protecting a fellow passenger, the survivor’s family said Wednesday.

Australian tourist Kimberley Dear, 21, was one of only two survivors when a DeHavilland DHC-6 Twin Otter nosedived shortly after taking off Saturday from Sullivan airport in eastern Missouri.

Her father, Bill Dear, said 22-year-old skydiving instructor Robert Cook, of Rolla, positioned his body to protect Kimberley from the impact.

“He’s a hero. There’s no other way I can describe it,” Bill Dear told Nine Network Australian television from his daughter’s St. Louis hospital bedside. “It was utterly amazing.”

Dear said Cook realized the plane would crash and calmly told his daughter what to expect.

Cook attached himself to the woman with a harness they were to use in a tandem jump and pulled her close as the plane plummeted.

“He said to her: ‘As the plane is about to hit the ground, make sure you’re on top of me so that I’ll take the force of the impact,’” Dear said.

“The plane actually hit, they believe, a power pole or a power line and it went into a vertical situation, and she became a little bit disoriented, but she felt Robert actually twist his body around until Kim was on top of him and when the plane hit the ground, he took the full force of the impact,” Dear said.

Kimberley Dear suffered muscle tears around her spine, a broken pelvis and collar bone, cuts, concussion and severe bruising, her father said. The second survivor was also hospitalized with serious injuries.

Kimberley's sister Tracey said Cook must have known he was giving his life for someone else.

“The only thing I can think of is saying: Thank you so much,” Tracey told Nine in the southern city of Melbourne. “I would do that for her but I can’t believe that a stranger who just met her would knowingly give up his life for her. I just want his family to know we appreciate that from the bottom of our heart.”

The Daily Guide was unable to reach Mark Cook, Robert’s father, and other relatives were not available for comment. But Mark Cook did explain to The Sydney Morning Herald that “That’s the way Robert was. He would sacrifice anything for anybody else. That was just his nature. He was probably one of the best kids you could ever meet.”

Kimberley is not expected to return to Australia for 10 weeks, her sister said.

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the crash and believes it may have resulted from engine failure.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I was at Robert's memorial service yesterday and Kimberly's parents spoke about what he did. I have only known Robert for a few weeks, but he had a charm about him and was so energetic. Always willing to help, and he was so selfless. What he did does not surprise me at all.

Kimberly's father stated at the service that she plans to make her tandem skydive when she recovers, in honor of Robert.

I feel blessed to have known him.
Jen

Wow, that choked me up. Robert Cook is definitely a hero in my book.

Wow, it got to me too. I looked at his picture, so young yet so willing to protect his student. I true hero.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Yes.. Robert is a true hero in my eyes. But then again his character shouldnt surprise me. I knew he was a special kid the first time i met him.

I spoke with Kimberly at the hospital earlier int he week. She's doing well and cannot wait to get out of the hospital so she can finally make her jump. But she still has a long way to go to make a full recovery.

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

This is a poem to my friends Scott, Robert, Dave and Rob:

There lies an emptiness in my heart
Our Quantum Leap family has been torn apart
Scott, Robert, Dave and Rob
The angels must have needed you for a different job.

You touched us all in different ways
And for this we will never forget our days.
A toast to each and every one we will raise
And on nights when I go out to stargaze...

I will think of you and miss you so
In ways which you will never know
Blue skies and peace to our departed friends
We will fly with you in our hearts from now on on weekends.

The time we spent together and the great times we shared
None of us were prepared
Great men you all really were
For you we will drink lots of beer.

We know you are watching over us and flying free
It is in our hearts and memories that you will always be.

You will never be forgotten.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."