cestarmm

Protrack or Skytronic? Which one is better?

I have a Neptune, and I certainly like its menu system better than L&B's (I just find it much more intuitive)...but if you're looking to use it as an audible, I'd recommend against it. I've tried to use my Netune as an audible, and a lot of the time, I just can't hear it. [:/]

While I have no experience with a Skytronic, for what it's worth, I can verify that the Protrack screams like a banshee. I think you'll also hear that L&B's customer service is second to none. But I'll let others with more experience with both of the gear items you're asking about give you a recommendation that will undoubtedly be more informed than mine.

Regardless, it's been my experience that a Neptune doesn't work too well as an audible, no matter which way I turn it. Of course, we're talking a Pro-tec helmet, here, which may influence things...but the Protrack is loud enough in the same helmet.

(edited because I'm a grammar nazi) :P

Signatures are the new black.

I\but if you're looking to use it as an audible, I'd recommend against it. I've tried to use my Netune as an audible, and a lot of the time, I just can't hear it. [:/]

I'm surprised by that statement, I've used my on every jump since the beginning of 2004 and never had a problem hearing it. Not saying that this isn't your experience, just that I haven't had this issue ever.

Have you compared your unit to other units to verify that there is not a problem with yours?
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I\but if you're looking to use it as an audible, I'd recommend against it. I've tried to use my Netune as an audible, and a lot of the time, I just can't hear it. [:/]

I'm surprised by that statement, I've used my on every jump since the beginning of 2004 and never had a problem hearing it. Not saying that this isn't your experience, just that I haven't had this issue ever.

Have you compared your unit to other units to verify that there is not a problem with yours?

Hey, Ian - haven't been able to compare mine to other units...but doing so would be a logical step, I suppose. :)
When I first realized I couldn't hear it, I think I did a search on DZ.com and found some common complaints about Neptune volume levels, so I just wrote it off as a standard thing with Neptunes. And since the Protrack I played with for a few jumps came in loud and clear, I just decided it was a common Neptune thing (I now use my Neptune on my wrist, where it works fine). :)
So cestarrmm, back to your original question, perhaps the Neptune is a viable option, and mine is just defective. Add a 'YMMV' to the previous post. ;)
Signatures are the new black.

I like my protrack for the reasons the above posters have stated.

I now prefer my optima/viso combo as it does a better job for -my- logging requirements, and the optima does indeed scream like a banshee. :)
To many reports of problems with Neptunes put me off them (have you ever heard of a probelm with L&B's stuff?).

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

I jump a Skytronics GFX and I really like it alot. It logs up to 200 jumps. It is really loud in your ear as well. And it is also a good digital alti too. Mind you I dont have any experience with a Protrack or a Neptune. But that is my opinion. BluesB|

The Sky's not the limit, the ground is. Fear Nothing, Regret Less.

To many reports of problems with Neptunes put me off them (have you ever heard of a probelm with L&B's stuff?).

Yeah, reports of problems with the Neptune was the reason I got a Pro-track instead.

Ironically, just last week I had to send my Pro-track back to L&B because it had developed a fault and ate through a couple sets of batteries while it was turned off. They did send me a brand new replacement though, so can't complain.:P

It also sounds like pretty much all of Neptune's bugs have been worked out now as well.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I now prefer my optima/viso combo as it does a better job for -my- logging requirements, and the optima does indeed scream like a banshee. :)

What are your requirements, because Optima does not log anything. What are the logging options on a Viso?

I'm looking for a good digital altimeter for my wing suit jumps (I already have a nice Optima for audible purpose).

While I have never tried a Neptune, a friend of mine has had 3 or 4 screens go on his.
I have a ProTrack and a Viso. I swear by them and by the customer service of L&B!!!

It's an easy choice!
2K Composites Dealer
TonySuits Dealer
Larsen & Brusgaard Dealer
CSPA C, Coach 1, Rigger A, Instructor A, Tandem Videographer / Photographer, EJR

While I have never tried a Neptune, a friend of mine has had 3 or 4 screens go on his.
I have a ProTrack and a Viso. I swear by them and by the customer service of L&B!!!

It's an easy choice!

I have replaced my Pro-Track to Neptune last year.
I was sick and tired that Pro-Track does not record a jump at all if the FF part is shorter than 5s and its switching off itself 10-25 seconds earlier than I like to. Oh and Pro-Track is not water proof. It quite difficult the find CR 2330 battery.

I have Neptune and Optima now. I like them.

Side note: I was organizing a Speed Skydiving World Cup. They used red Pro-Track and I downloaded jump countless times. Brr! I don't even want to see or Pro-Track for awhile.