Iceburner

cutaway cable question

so i just bought a new rig (pilot 168 in an icon container) and noticed that after i jump it and go to pack it, my left riser's cutaway cable is out of it's housing (as in it's still through the loop, but not in the pocket to keep it in place) if that makes sense...almost like a quarter inch short. Is this something i should look into replacing, or is it not a big deal? it's not really close to coming undone, it's still about 4-5 inches through the white loop holding the 3 ring in place, just wondering if this is something that should be replaced or if it's not a big deal. i'll post pics if nobody understands what i'm saying.

You mean it isn't long enough to reach the hard housing inserts in the risers? Most people at my drop zone jump icons, all of there cutaway cables are long enough that the excess goes into the hard housings in the risers, this is true with my Icon as well.

I would call aerodyne and verify that the cables are the proper length on both sides.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

it reaches the housing on the risers, and can be inserted...but comes out of it (i notice it mainly when i am packing, so i dont know if it comes out on opening or sometime after deployment)...almost like it is a little too short. i was going to contact aerodyne...but figured i'd post it on here first.

Had a similar issue with a Wings Container- The RSL side cut-away cable was too short and would pull out of the housing during opening. I watched it closely all weekend and it never seemed to pull back towards the loop while flying, but doing CRW with it like that (RSL was disconnected) was REALLY un-nerving. We called Wings and they sent us a new cable free of charge and we cut it to the right length ourselves.

Sounds like ICON just shorted you...Call them up and they should be able to fix it. A one sided unintentional cutaway at 300feet would be bad!
"This is better than sex, and cheaper too!"

Hey everyone,
thanks for all the responses, i was contacted by areodyne and am going to send them some pictures and whatnot. The cutaway handle is properly seeded. Also, just wanted to add that i didn't mean to bring any bad publicity on areodyne or their products, as i love the new rig and everything, just was wondering if this was a problem that i needed to get fixed or not...which is why i posted it in here.
Semper Fi

On 6/13/2007 at 10:46 AM, riggerrob said:

If that is the original cutaway handle, Aerodyne owes you a new one.

Aerodyne now sends their handles out with the cables needing to be cut by the assembling rigger. While this is annoying, they do come with very clear instructions regarding how to determine the correct length and trim the cables to it.