linestretch

what the?....

Maybe this isn't all that uncommon, but I was in total awe when I saw this. Look at the first pic and guess what kind of reserve it is. Then look at the next & see the brake line routing. The third is the brake line cascade....and the last tells the story of the reserve brand.

My question is....what would you do if you found this. And know this...it came from a master riggers shop/DZ. Not packed by him, but assembled at his place. There is no data card prior to '05 (when it was assembled).
my pics & stuff!

As a non rigger I see the fault with the brake line routing, but what is wrong with the cascade? Should those lines be finger trapped into the brake line and backed up with a bar tack?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

My question is....what would you do if you found this. And know this...it came from a master riggers shop/DZ. Not packed by him, but assembled at his place. There is no data card prior to '05 (when it was assembled).

That is bad stuff!

You can file a malfunction/defect report with your local FSDO.

The Casscades were made by PD. They made several reserves like that along with several Mains.

They used a single bartack and no fingertraps.

We had a person at our DZ shear a bartack and then had a resulting spinning mal.

I raised the concern to PD then. They later started fingertrapping the casscades again.

I still find some of the single bartacks in the field, When I do, I replace them.

Cheers,
MEL

Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

What are you referring to bad stuff?...I can for sure see the misrouting being bad (HUGE actually)...but if that IS the original lineset (which I didn't know some PD reserves came with dacron lines), is there anything wrong with it? Can it be packed up the way it is (fixing the mis-routing of course)?
my pics & stuff!

What are you referring to bad stuff?...I can for sure see the misrouting being bad (HUGE actually)...but if that IS the original lineset (which I didn't know some PD's came that way), is there anything wrong with it? Can it be packed up the way it is (fixing the mis-routing of course)?

Looks like a hard opening could separate the two sides of the upper steering line cascade which would then allow the lower steering line to migrate towards the outside of the canopy which would put the reserve in a turn (definately bad if you were incapacitated) and give you an asymetric flare (not good landing on hard ground).

Mel noted a spinning malfunction which resulted from the problem. That would really stink on a reserve. Especially with a terminal opening (likely to break things) which implies you're already low.

What are you referring to bad stuff?...

The misrouting.

but if that IS the original lineset (which I didn't know some PD's came that way), is there anything wrong with it? Can it be packed up the way it is (fixing the mis-routing of course)?

To answer the question of "is there anything wrong with it", I would say "yes".

To answer can you pack it with proper routing; again "yes".

BS,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

pic #1 made me think it was a raven...ie dacron lines and the way the bake lines are attached to the toggles (never seen a PD with dacron lines)

pic #2 shows that the brake lines (yes...both) are not routed through the slider (self explanatory)

pic #3 shows the odd way the brake line cascade is done. Don't recall seeing anything like that....on a PD reserve anyway.

pic #4 just shows it's a PD.

hope that helps.
my pics & stuff!

any idea why the brake line is NOT running through the appropriate slider gommet???. not sure if reserves require slider bumpers on the french links.. but it sure wouldn't hurt...
what else??????
j t

edited to add...... Could this canopy have been used by a lightweight person, as a BASE canopy??????. or does the lack of a pc/bridle attachment point prevent that ?

any idea why the brake line is NOT running through the appropriate slider gommet???. not sure if reserves require slider bumpers on the french links.. but it sure wouldn't hurt...
what else??????
j t

I would think the misrouted brake lines would be on whoever assembled it, not on PD
__

My mighty steed

Did this rig come to you packed?

If it was not packed and in the hands of anyone else you cannot put the blame on the rigger in question because someone could have messed with the brake lines.

However if this rig was packed that way with a seal then you should contact the rigger because he FUQKD up.

Chris

... not sure if reserves require slider bumpers on the french links..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Back in the day ... when Performance Designs used to ship every new reserve with Maillon Rapide links, they always included a set of silicone bumpers - and written instructions on how to hand-tack the bumpers - which led me to assume that bumpers were mandatory on PD reserves.

Now that PD reserves come standard with Slinks, we can quietly ignore the whole issue of bumpers - at least when Slinks are installed.

Not all other manufacturers send bumpers with new reserves, so I just sew up a set of bumpers - to Rigging Innovations' pattern - and install them when I assemble any new reserve.

My primary motivation is laziness.
i.e. I am so lazy that I hate to grab the emery cloth to sand rough edges off of slider grommets. Those rough edges are usually caused by metal-to-metal contact during hard openings.

I just sew up a set of bumpers - to Rigging Innovations' pattern - and install them when I assemble any new reserve.

Except for reserves packed in Aerodyne Icons, of course. The packing instructions explicitly forbid use of slider bumpers.

Mark

:)
Thanks for the info.

The 1993 PR160 is in a Javelin h/c ?

:( We meet "Low Level" rigging all time.

Does the rig was seald ?

If you can I.D the last Rigger served this system - call him/her & try to educate him/her see how he/she react to you & move on as you feel. (FAA, PIA)

Regarding the UST base setting it was done at that time at PD, you can still see it today on the VR360 UST lines done with "EF" blue thread.

Few Points:

The system looks all from 1993 so if the h/c is a Javelin from 1993 look if the main closing loop retainer SB was done & was done as should be.

http://www.sunpath.com/

Note: Rev. B is in two parts
Download SPSB0303200 Rev. B Part1 - (PDF 58KB)
Download SPSB0303200 Rev. B Part2 - (PDF 80KB)

!!NOTE!!
Service Bulletin #03032000 Rev. A has been withdrawn and should no longer be complied with.
For those individuals who have already complied with Rev. A, please refer to Service Bulletin SPSB #03032000 Rev. B for the latest update on the Main Closing Loop Retainer. (All from the website)

Does this is the whole PR160 packing & deployment history or boxes were "missed" ? - check by the card
if updated.

If you feel that the canopy was handled more then show & based on the age send it to PD for "Porosity" test.

The lines are Dacron with #4 or #5 links ? - before repack - for #5 links use PD cloth bumpers made of 2" Ty.4 fabric to cover the #5 links if #4 links are used use the PD Silicone bumpers & hand tacked by the PR manual. Get a set from PD it is Mandatory & should be from PD !!!

**** Check the the links are fine - no burrs, chips/nicks & were not OVER tight !!!

*** Check very close the slider Grommets for any burr area, chips/nicks from impact on the metal links, the PR was deployed at least twice by the "X" on the label. If any damage to slider grommets - look very close to the lines !!! any damage to the grommets - replace the slider.

If all slider grommets are good you can just change to PD SR-1 slinks & let the links go.

;) TIP: when you open the links for removing out COVER BOTH open parts with Duck Tape to prevent damage to the reserve risers webbing from sharp SS chips.

**** Look very close to that sysem including line trim check & keep doing the good inspection.

"So Easy being a Rigger so HARD being a GOOD Rigger"

Safe Rigging !!!

right....
probably not a bad idea to eliminate them...
IF a bumper isn't securely and correctly TACKED to always stay with the link....a loose bumper could, theoretically get loose, slide UP the lines...:o YIKES,, and be a real problem...
Even on a main..... it's real important to monitor slider bumpers, for just that reason....
Tighness around the link, and hopefully a waxed thread stitch... if heavyweight plastic tubing is used for the bumpers.. they can stretch and work their way up towards the suspension lines.. I check mine each time i set my brakes...:|

with the change to slinks, it seems the issue is eliminated altogether...

disclaimer...not a rigger, though i do try to pay attention to the subject of our gear and to the changes and improvements which are constantly occuring......;):)

j

I just sew up a set of bumpers - to Rigging Innovations' pattern - and install them when I assemble any new reserve.

Except for reserves packed in Aerodyne Icons, of course. The packing instructions explicitly forbid use of slider bumpers.

Mark

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Since new Smart reserves come straight from Aerodyne with soft links ... and soft links are incompatible with slider bumpers ... I cannot see how this comment is relevant????

My assumption is based upon the notion that Aerodyne tries to sell an new Smart reserve with every Icon.

IF a bumper isn't securely and correctly TACKED to always stay with the link....a loose bumper could, theoretically get loose, slide UP the lines...:o YIKES,, and be a real problem...
Even on a main.....

like this?

And yes, the reserve was packed that way....with the steering lines NOT through the slider.
my pics & stuff!

I had the opportunity to jump a main with the brake lines not routed through the slider last year. The opening was like getting hit by a truck. I broke one steering line and was so dazed I didn't realize it until I was too low to consider cutting away. I can't imagine the jolt you would get on a reserve rigged like this. The rigger who assembled this should have to jump it.;)

Since new Smart reserves come straight from Aerodyne with soft links ... and soft links are incompatible with slider bumpers ... I cannot see how this comment is relevant????

My assumption is based upon the notion that Aerodyne tries to sell an new Smart reserve with every Icon.

I see plenty of PD reserves in Icons.

Mark

I am looking in the manual on page 12 and see no "specific" mention one way or another, can you tell me where that is?
Now if you look at the photo of the assembly with links, it also shows the link insatlled incorrectly, short shank close to the riser, it should be short shank to the canopy right? at least it is the way I was taught and never seen any rigger do it differently, it is also stated this way in the Pointer's.
anyway a tangent again, I am good at that, sorry.
If you could please, I will keep reading but so far have not found it, may be my manual is out-dated?

LIFE IS LIKE A CIGARETTE, YOU CAN SIT THERE AND WATCH IT BURN AWAY OR YOU CAN SMOKE THAT BITCH TO THE FILTER

I had the opportunity to jump a main with the brake lines not routed through the slider last year. The opening was like getting hit by a truck. I broke one steering line and was so dazed I didn't realize it until I was too low to consider cutting away. I can't imagine the jolt you would get on a reserve rigged like this. The rigger who assembled this should have to jump it.;)

im no rigger, but wouldn't the brake line NOT being routed through the slider in fact SLOW the opening? the tail of a parachute, if im correct, is the main driving force to send the slider down.
what!?

No the breaklines are the thing that slow down the slider. thats why they shrink alot faster than other lines also as they take alot more friction from slowing the slider down.

Life is Great. Even Greater what we do with it.

No the breaklines are the thing that slow down the slider. thats why they shrink alot faster than other lines also as they take alot more friction from slowing the slider down.

OK, don't the brake lines normally slow the slider down because as the outermost lines they are in contact with the slider? Since they are now outside the slider grommets, the rest of the line groups will get that friction. While I will grant you that the number of lines (and therefore the friction surface available) will be lower, I wouldn't expect that alone to make a large difference in the opening. As long as the brakes stay stowed properly through the opening, I'd expect something close to normal.

When the brake lines are outside the grommets, I can even envision a scenario where the brake lines pinch the slider from the outside and prevent it from coming down properly as the line groups are tensioned on opening (not a good thing, but would slow the opening).

Any riggers/manufacturers care to comment?