bluesilver30

right into camera suit?

hello everyone. I just finished off AFF, and i'm looking at getting a jump suit. not sure exactly what brand yet, i'm thinking bev or firefly though.

basically, i plan on getting into camera work eventually. so right now, i just need a jump suit that will be a nice overall one until i get more experience. considering that i eventually want to do camera stuff, would it be smart to just get a camera suit now? are the wings removable on camera suits? if so, would it be fine with a wingless camera suit until i get more experience? my main consideration is money; when i eventually do start getting into camera work it would be nice to avoid buying another jump suit.

thanks!
~nick

Wings are not removable. Its better to get a suit that you can learn to really fly in first and then get a camera suit when you get to that level. I flip between my camera suit and my freefly suit probally a half dozen times a weekend, its good to have multiple suits.;)

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

As said, the wings are not removable, and you'll need multiple suits anyway.

AND not only is flying a camera above your current ability but flying a camera suit is above your current ability. Take things one step at a time.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

my main consideration is money;

This is going to become a problem if you plan to continue skydiving.

ahah, i hear that. its not that i won't be able to afford it, its just that i dont want to be frivolous with my cash. though, if you all say that i'll need multiple suit styles anyway, might as well start with a RW suit then. that a good way to begin? i don't plan on trying to free fly for a bit, especially since my rig isn't cut out for it.

It's not being frivolous with your cash, it's training yourself to use the right tools.
Put differently, buy a hammer to pound a nail, buy a screwdriver to open a can of paint (OK, just kidding).
If your goal is to learn to fly a camera, a couple suggestions for the time being;
1-Learn to fly around others. Try to avoid flying on your own.
2-Do as much relative work as possible.
3-Learn the art of communication; asking questions about who is doing what, and learn to communicate what you're doing to them.
4-Spend a lot of time working various fall rates. Jump with skinny people, jump with not-so-skinny people. Tall people, short people. Fly with coaches.

When you do get wings, you'll quickly learn that they aren't for helping you fly, they're for helping you fine-tune the flying you already know how to do. Learn to fly your body first.

Dude, buy the suit for what you are doing now. When you want to start camera, you can always buy a second hand camera suit (i bought my first camera suit for about a fifth of the price of a new one, and jumped it for a year).

By the way, I have a FS suit,camera suit, and 2 freefly suits. No matter what, you will be getting more suits as you carry on skydiving (and keeping them). Its almost like buying clothes. It just happens as neccesary.
Some dream of flying, i live the dream...

haha, yeah. i'm looking at getting a bev comp suit. one question on that... there's an option you can check for "straight leg", how's that different than, i'm assuming, a non straight leg?

The latter is for people who choose an alternative lifestyle.:D
(Phreezone is correct).
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.