sid

rig retrofitting with AAD list?

I looked at the Cypres & the SSK website to find a list of rigs that can be retrofitted with an AAD. Anyone know where to find such a thing? I have a customer with a 20 year old National Mirage (2 pin) that wants to fit it with an AAD...... any ideas? (apart from get a newer rig, let's assume that he can't/doesn't want to for this post please)
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

my rigger did my Talon it's 17 years old , had a FXC on it he sewed a pocket for the cypres , cut a slit for the screen and sewed a small pocket under the reserve flap for it , and a sleve in the reserve tray to route the it , and a single cuter for mine. There is retro fit kits from SSK for this.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

I have never seen written instructions for installing a Cypres kit in an old two-pin Mirage. That is the primary reason my old two-pin Mirage is not in service.

You could try retro-fitting it by using instructions for a similar two-pin container. Hint, Para-Flite's Swift system was its predecessor, while Prestige is its successor.
That is a point of dubious legality.

Here's the manual that you used to have to pass a test for.

http://www.cypres.cc/Downloads/6_3_1/CYPRES_Riggers_Guide_English_3-2006.pdf

It's on airtec's site. AFAIK this these are the only rigs with approved retrofit instructions.

No two pin mirage, but there are instruction for the swift.

But this isn't something to dry lab. You could try to get your own field approval for it. I doubt that Airtec would authorize it but Kai may see this thread and respond.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I called Eric at SSK. The answer wasn't just "No!" but "NOOOOOOOOOOO!" so I guess he'll have to do without. To be honest I'd rather see the guy invest the $$ in a better container and anything other than the Nimbus main that's in there before he sinks $$ into an aad anyway (but it's not my call). Thanks for the advice Terry/Rob
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Although SSK may be unenthusiastic about installing a Cypres in an ancient rig, that's not in keeping with the spirit of the Cypres rigging manual (Councilman24's post), which does show Cypres instructions for a variety of old 2 pin rigs such as the Swift, Warp III, and Wonderhog.

Here we get into the issue of having to follow the AAD company's directions (in the USA), yet what does one do if the company "arbitrarily" says no?

The Cypres rigging manual does also allow for the rigger to independently seek approval using the procedures in AC105 (the details of which I don't know offhand).

Here we get into the issue of having to follow the AAD company's directions (in the USA), yet what does one do if the company "arbitrarily" says no?

FAR 105.43(c) addresses only required AAD maintenance, not installation.

No AAD manufacturer can approve or disapprove the use of its product in any rig. The company can arbitrarily say "no" if it wants, but it is hardly the final word.

Any harness/container manufacturer can approve or disapprove the use of an AAD in its rigs, and can restrict approval to certain brands (i.e. Rigging Innovations: Cypres or Argus only) or configurations (i.e. Mirage: Vigils approved only with newer-style cutters).

As Sid knows, AC-105-2c outlines procedures for alterations in general, and is most useful if the product is an orphan or if the rig manufacturer doesn't have an approved alteration procedure or configuration.

Mark