NWFlyer

Are You Smart Enough to be Stupid?

Inspired by an IM conversaton with a DZ.commer who shall remain nameless:ph34r:

"You're not working up to your potential."

"You should know better."

"You're smarter than that."

"I'd expect that from your friends but not from you."

I've always wondered ... if I'm so smart (thus, I heard all this kind of stuff growing up) why was I never smart enough to convince people I was stupid? To convince them that no, I really don't have that much potential, thankyouverymuch. My lazy side would have been much happier if only I could convince them that doing justenough to get the A was the way to go.[:/]

How about you? Are you smart enough to be stupid? Were you able to master that skill to enable you to have the happy, lazy, stealthily intelligent life you wanted? :D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yes... I've actually managed it... I learned long ago not to appear overly intelligent and just be 'stupid'....

How, though? Speak slowly and use small words for my benefit. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yes... I've actually managed it... I learned long ago not to appear overly intelligent and just be 'stupid'....

Actually it's rather easy... just set your goals low and don't attain them... :D:D
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

Nope... haven't mastered it... I've been told by many a supervisor that they expect me to do great things (in my career, etc...) and I keep telling them that I'm missing certain personality traits that preclude that possibility.... :|

Alas... I swear we had this discussion... something about being mediocre... :D:D
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I act somewhat stupider than i am just so they won't expect too much from me at work.

I suppose I am sort of doing that right now - they are trying to turn me into a more technical person than I am. Sure, I can learn the technology and be more of a programmer, but that's not why they hired me and that's not what I bring to the table that's going to add the most value for our clients. But I find that point seems to be lost on them, so I go with the "I dunno, I'm not really a techie" thing. It seems to work much better.

The fact that I've now failed my technical certification exam twice is helping to drive home that point. It's funny - I don't think I've ever failed something twice in my life, but I'm just not interested in putting in the amount of time and effort it would take to get me up to snuff on the stuff they have on the test. So failing is kind of my little "fuck you." :D

But I'm still not very good at failing things. [:/]

There are a lot of good pointers in The Big Lebowski.;)

It helps to practice/ research behavior in the neighborhood dive bar where all the 'regular workin' folk' hang out.B|
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Believe it or not, research has suggested that stupid people are too stupid to know how stupid they are, and therefore think they are smart because they don't understand the limitations of their intellects...

So, I guess your question can also be asked, "are you smart enough to realize your stupidity?"

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Huh? :|

Thanks... I was wondering that myself.

So if everyone thinks they're smart, how do ones who are actually smart know they are smart?:S

By thinking they are stupid. Only the smart ones realize they are stupid. The stupid ones don't realize they are stupid. So they have high self-esteem.

Low self-esteem is therefore a sign of intelligence. I'd take comfort in that if I weren't so stupid...[:/]

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Huh? :|

Thanks... I was wondering that myself.

So if everyone thinks they're smart, how do ones who are actually smart know they are smart?:S

Because they know that what they DO know isn't really much of all there is to know.

Oops, I mean, HUH? What? I have no idea what's going on

:D:D

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

So if everyone thinks they're smart, how do ones who are actually smart know they are smart?

huh? can you explain that some more?:ph34r: The first part of the if:then proposition seems a little skewed.:P

Drink a beer and watch sportscenter....
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Drink a beer and watch sportscenter....

Go local sports team!