wlie

Ex GF: Pay her back or not?

Each time my wife or I visited Costco for the past 6 weeks, we've been asked at the check out whether we want to renew our membership. It's not like we get a discount for early renewal so we've been holdiing out.

About a week ago, the asking stopped. Ok, I guess my wife must have renewed it. And my wife also thought I must have renewed it.

Then I get a call from my ex-girlfriend. Hey hey, what's up? I've been using your Costco membership for the last 9 years (after we've split) and this time, I forked out your $100 renewal because I sure as hell am not going to abandon my shopping cart after standing in line forever.

She wants me to pay her back is what's up.

Now, I had already taken her off my membership after the split and she knows that. I went to Costco to verify that she was indeed off, and as I understand, I could have only one complementary membership under mine - and that'd be my wife - so how could she still use my membership? So somewhere in Costco's system, something's messed up. Oh well, I get the rebate for the ex's purchases at the end of the year. Only this time I made sure that particular card can't be used.

I tell the ex that considering she understood she was no longer on my membership, she should have had the courtesy to stop using it. So I tell her she needs to send me back the card because it's mine, and (jokingly) that we should split it 50/50 for all her unauthorized use. She insists that I owe her 100% and I'm not getting the card back until I pay her back. So I let her keep the ring after we split and she thinks she can walk all over me. Who's the hostage here?

Now I'm thinking why I should even give her back 50%.
My other ride is the relative wind.

50/50 if anything. But if Costco has blocked the card, why do you need the actual physical card?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Because Costco told me that she was off my card when I took her off the first time and she was still using it. I want it back to make sure she'll never use it.

Ask costco (whatever they are) to issue you with another card.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Tell her that $100 is a pretty good deal for a free membership for the past nine years. Let her keep the card this year.. get your rebate at the end of the year.. and next year when you renew, close that account and open a new one.

I think my ex-bf is still on my costco membership. No idea if he uses it, and I dont really care. It costs me the same whether he does or not, so he's welcome to it.

Maybe talk to Costco about the situation and get a whole new account.

I concur with this course of action. When there's fraudulent activity on a credit card, they close your account and issue a new one. Your existing cards are rendered invalid, new ones with a new account number are issued, and fraudulent activity is addressed.

I'd honestly be surprised if a warehouse-store membership like Costco didn't work on the same principle. You say she's been fraudulently using your membership for 9 years? If anything, she owes you a renewal.

why does your ex-GIRLFRIEND think she has any right to your financial situation..... she fucked up she shouldnt have been there in the first place...
tough luck honey and yes pound sand, what part of EX doesnt she understand... ok ok im stopping now I am getting all worked up aaahhhhhhh

So, she got out of paying $100 every year for the past 8 years? It seems like she should be glad she saved $800! Don't give her anything, you don't owe her.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

If you pay her anything, you my friend are a fool!

She's been using it for 9 years for free. I wouldn;t hold my breath on getting her card back, but I'd hope that she paid again next year. What's the worst thing that can happen? She tells Costco and they take her card away for using it wrongly for the other 8 years? Or they Take you off of what could now be contrued as HER account and you pay as usual....

Ganja

In any relationship, there are benefits and responsibilities. When the relationship ends, so do the benefits (except for ex-wife support).

Explain over the phone that, "I've discussed it with my wife and it doesn't seem necessary".

Ex-girlfriends love to hear about the current SO. Once the ex decides that they are no longer in the decision-making process, they quit calling.

You don't owe her squat.

So, she got out of paying $100 every year for the past 8 years? It seems like she should be glad she saved $800! Don't give her anything, you don't owe her.

What she said. :)
Hey, how come you pay that much for a Costco membership? I thought they were only $65 or so.

Executive cards cost $100/yr but they also return 2% of money spent over the year. Yippee we barely break even.

IMO talking to costco or any CC co, bank, etc is not the best way to go. send them a registered letter and request a written response.

R.I.P.

What she said. She continued to USE the membership and she CHOSE to renew it (probably because she went to use it and it had expired and YOU hadn't renewed it yet).

Use the card until it expires (and she does too) and when you go to renew next year, get a new account.

Problem solved!

'Shell
'Shell

Then I get a call from my ex-girlfriend. Hey hey, what's up? I've been using your Costco membership for the last 9 years (after we've split)

Hmm, by my reckoning, she owes you for 1/2 the cost of the membership for each year she used it without your permission.

Not only is she sneaky and greedy, she's not exactly the brightest bulb in the bunch, is she?

Ok, she has used it for the past 9 years. by my math, after the last $100.....

she owes you $350 for her half of the past 9 years.

serve her with a small claims court summons for her share of the membership fees.

EDITED TO ADD: or take the easy way out. tell Costco that she has recently admitted to using your account fraudulently, and that you want a new membership and the old one cancelled. she is out $100 AND a membership. HAH!
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

:Dh man! What awesome responses. Pound salt, pound sand, I should get $50, 9 years worth of BJ (not in my lifetime).

Absolutely right about getting away with $800+ worth of membership.

I'm letting her know that democracy has spoken, and she ain't getting squat.

I'll keep you updated.:ph34r:

Hey, how come you pay that much for a Costco membership? I thought they were only $65 or so.

Executive cards cost $100/yr but they also return 2% of money spent over the year. Yippee we barely break even.

It's the executive. I figure with the amount we spend there each month, especially on formula & diapers the year Alex was born, and in November when Oliver arrives, the rebate would bring the membership down to somewhere around $20.

And we also use Amex that rebates us for the gas we buy there, 'coz Costco gas purchase don't count towards the rebate.

Man... Now come to think of it, if she would even spend enough to boost the rebate I get back, I'd entertain it some more.