angelabatiz

Conway's Ash Dive

Please join Conway’s family on Saturday, August 19, sometime after 6:00 pm near sunset, as we attempt to bring closure by giving Conway an Ash Dive at Spaceland. Knowing Conway’s heart was always in skydiving, his family decided it was the appropriate thing for him. His brother, Craig, has decided to do a tandem on the ash dive adding just the perfect touch to it all.

Please bring your lawn chairs, coolers and especially your stories to share with his family. I’m sure they’d love to meet all of Conway’s skydiving family.

I'm gonne bump this.
We're talking jumperconway here.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm gonne bump this.
We're talking jumperconway here.

Wendy W.

Moderators, how about making this sticky? Lots of us knew him on here...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

conway was on my scr at the aot boogie in 2004. last person in btw (out of 13) :)
when i first started skydiving he jumped at ssm, he would always watch my landings and offer sage advice, i remember the first jump on my 150 when i did a 360 degree turn at about 100 feet...braked turns mind you...it freaked him out. he was definitely the first person that would tell you when you fucked up and i was sure i was gonna catch hell...all he said was that i turned too low. i could tell though that he was impressed cause he didn't lecture me :)
i'm gonna miss that guy.

Won't be able to make it, but I'm glad now that I take all those corny face pictures. I have one of Conway to remember him.

I'm still waiting for Clint to post a "hot" four way he has.

tapping fingers, tapping fingers, tapping finger.............
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Won't be able to make it, but I'm glad now that I take all those corny face pictures. I have one of Conway to remember him.

I'm still waiting for Clint to post a "hot" four way he has.

tapping fingers, tapping fingers, tapping finger.............

heh!
I posted them.

where were you?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Well that grabbed my heart strings and pulled.

It's funny how sometimes people impact us in ways we appreciate the second we come into contact with them, and other times, they impact us in ways we don't even realize until they're gone.

I'm a little surprised and yet glad at how much I miss that guy. It's not like we were tight confidants, but we always had a smile and a hug for each other. It means a lot more than it would seem on the surface...

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

i sure am out of the loop. i just got word today of conways passing.
he will truely be missed.....

Looking at that smile on his face, he could've died of happiness right then. Thanks Alana! (And Justi, of course!)

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

See you guys there... Conways returning to the sky and so am I , If airtwardo doesnt get me there, he volunteered you Wendy.

Is there a potluck for those coming to the ash dive? If so what should I contribute?
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

hmmmmm -- what exactly am I supposed to be doing to get you here? Does it involve ropes or furry animals?:P

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Please join Conway’s family on Saturday, August 19, sometime after 6:00 pm near sunset, as we attempt to bring closure by giving Conway an Ash Dive at Spaceland.

I'm surprised there is no follow-up on this from the execution of this dive this weekend. So I'll try and get things rolling myself.

Here is my recollection of the dives from my lowly observer position on the ground.

Conway's brother and a niece both made tandem jumps. The brother looks very much like Conway, and when he donned Conway's jumpsuit and helmet, it was very eerie. The niece is very cute.

The plan was to put them both out on tandems from the same pass of the Otter. Each tandem would have eight experienced jumpers dock on it in a round formation. Each of the two groups took half of Conway's ashes along, and deployed them at a designated altitude.

Before boarding the plane, a rousing pep talk was given by Jack Berke, surrounded by a large crowd of jumpers and Conway's family.

So, from the ground, we watched the first group exit, and everyone locked eyes on it. The round formation built, a puff of ashes appeared in the sky, followed by breakoff with a starburst effect that really impressed Conway's family members. As the canopies from the first group opened, I shifted my gaze to the second group, which was just completing it's own round formation, followed by a puff of ash appearing in the sky, and a similar breakoff.

From the ground it appeared that everything went absolutely perfect. It was a very impressive and moving show of our love for our missing friend, and I think the family was impressed with our skill and our devotion to each other.

There wasn't a lot of crying going around, as I think that had already been dealt with earlier. It seemed to be a group at peace with what happened, and relishing the happy memories of our good times together with Conway.

Photos please!

Thanks, John. I posted a quickie in the High/Low thread (somehow it seemed appropriate).

This was one of the best-vibe jumps I've been on in my life. Everyone had passed the worst of the shock, and wanted to share something with Conway's other family; us with his brother and niece, and them with the skydivers.

We asked his brother if it was OK and then sang the long version of HIM; we sang the beer song, and Conway's brother and niece had Conway's friends all around them.

The jump was perfect; the sun was low, but not sunset, so it was cool, and the shadows were great. I opened about 3000 just to enjoy the canopy ride down.

The jumps were followed by visiting, and then a wonderful video montage that Mykel Poole (AFFI here) put together, and then the video of the jump. Angela presented a copy of the poem that she read at the funeral to Conway's dad; the frame had been signed by all kinds of DZ denizens.

Many laughs and memories. I hadn't planned on staying late Saturday night, but I'm glad I did.

Wendy W.

Luminous and I thought the Beer Song would be appropriate. Also the HIM. Though we didn't ask Craig for his permission but told him that the recitation was meant to be an honor to Conway - as any HIM or HER is intended. ;)

As we were climbing to altitude, on a couple of different ocasions I saw Craig's eyes tearing up and I couldn't let his only skydive with his brother be one of sadness and loss. It was important that Craig see how skydivers rally around each other in tough times, like family. And that our bereavement can also be a celebration of the human being we were gifted in knowing.

Conway was that kind of person. So is his brother Craig. I'm looking forward to seeing him in the air again on Conway's birthday.

Maybe I'll see Craig in my AFF course soon, too ;)