northern

The worst experience ever.....Aerodyne

I didnt blame Terry Pike, but the logistics of outsourcing would increase the risk of an issue arising and making it more difficult to resolve the issue wouldnt it?

This is strait from Karl. I dont need to justify anything, Karl justified it just fine.

Over the last few months we have been sending all our repairs to our facility in DeLand, but as of Monday we have Patrick on board at the Tampa office who will be doing all the needed repairs and rigging, and this will ensure a quicker and more focus customer service level.

What flawed logic do you derive from that?

On another note, last time I placed an order in with Aerotech (directly to Terry), for a set of risers, he qouted me 2 weeks, I called 2 weeks later, nothing. I never cancelled the order because I was still willing to buy them and I wanted to see what would happen. But 2 years later, I still don't have risers. I have not heard anything about the quality of the product. It seems to me that he is likely just over loaded with work.

What flawed logic do you derive from that?

None with that but that was not what I was addressing.***It seems to me that he is likely just over loaded with work.***That is probably the best way to put it. All of the manufactures have gone thru growing pains from time to time and he is no exception.
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

Sorry to hear you've had problems with Aerodyne service. I've had several dealings with Aerodyne as the owner of 2 Triathlon canopies. They relined my 220 and did an update on the attachment points. Good communications and great service. I also bought a brand new 190 from them last year and received it in 2 weeks. Just my 2 cents.

Old age ain't no place for sissies!

I had good experience with Aerodyne as a company and bad with one of their products. Aerodyne was good about everything, including a new (improved) lineset free of charge, because my Vision was behaving like crap with the older specs lineset. There was some fairly extensive canopy repair included later on which took an unexpected 3 months and I had to remind about it a couple times to get a status update.

Overall, I'd rate my experience with Aerodyne 8/10 for how they handled the canopy repair issue, and 9/10 for how they handled a potentially faulty product issue.

Hi,

OK, this thread seems to be an "Aerodyne debate" so let me give you my opinion about Aerodyne.

I decided to buy my first rig in december and place an order for an Icon I5 + Pilot168 + Smart. I was supposed to grab the rig in Eloy in March, and jump with it during my 3 weeks journey. Aerodyne told me that they would be able to give me a demo rig or find a solution if the rig was not ready.

So before going to Eloy I tried to get some updates and the rep told me that the rig would not be ready, but maybe 1-2 week of delay.

I was concerned about going to Eloy without a rig and Aerodyne told me "we have no demo, only a smaller canopy" (150 which is really small for a new jumper like me). So I had to rent a rig for 3 weeks.

At the end I left Eloy,and flew back to France without my rig and with a bill for renting a canopy during 3 weeks. The canopy was ready a month later.

I can totally understand that there could be a delay, but the Aerodyne Rep was not able to find a "good" solution (canopy at a correct size) for me, and that is the bad point.

I like Aerodyne, I'm sure they're great guys, but this was a bad "customer experience" for me ...

You're going to have bad experiences with any company sooner or later. Sometimes you just get unlucky and one of your first experiences is the bad one. It doesn't necessarily mean the company has shit customer service. They all make mistakes at one point or another.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

As a partner in a mid size business...all businesses have off days, or one or two particular service issues that come up from time to time. No way around it, you just can't be on the ball 100% of the time no matter how hard you try.
That said...I've had a custom logo canopy (admittedly difficult to sew) on order since November 06. I've since downsized twice, but the canopy ordered will stay where it's at in size. Ordered a custom container on January 8, 2007. Still don't have it. Both are exceptionally reputable companies, both have dropped the ball on my orders.
Shit happens, people are people, and all you can do is your best. If your best isn't good enough, well...that's just all there is.
Aerodyne's people are first rate, IMO. In my one experience with them, I was very impressed. But no one can hit the target dead center at each shot.

You're going to have bad experiences with any company sooner or later. Sometimes you just get unlucky and one of your first experiences is the bad one. It doesn't necessarily mean the company has shit customer service. They all make mistakes at one point or another.

Yeah, even the pizza delivery business that I frequent screwed up royally one time. I waited and waited and my pizza never showed up, and when I called to complain, the phone was off the hook the rest of the night. Must have had some serious problem at the store that night. Took me a long while before I gave them another chance though. No problems since.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My own experience with Aerodyne was very good. I chose to have my Pilot relined by a local master rigger, so ordered a new line set online through the Aerodyne website. I had some questions about placing the order and what it included and my questions were answered promptly and accurately by a number of Aerodyne contacts, includeing KAerodyne, who I PM'ed through these Forums. My order was filled and shipped within a very reasonable time and I was kept informed by email of shipping info and tracing numbers. They even threw in an extra set of soft links at no extra charge.

Sooner or later every business screws up an order, that falls under the "shit happens" rule. what matters then is what they will do to correct the problem.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

so thats where i got the pizza from :S:D i always wondered :D:D.

Its not really a debate about one company now maybe perhaps the thread has drifted a bit I had a positive experience when i ordered and received my gear through a Aerodyne dealer who kept me informed about the delivery time on a main and reserve at the time i ordered. I actually bang on the dealers estimate and after about a year and half am happy with it.

Perhaps its more on how companies communicate problems with customers I prefer people to be up front with me and tell me there will be a delay maybe its Just that a breakdown in that customer communication that leads to dissatisfaction.

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

^^^ Did that a few weeks back (demo tour strikes again), and it was certainly educational.

All I can do is agree with a couple of other people, DSE in particular, and say companies have off days. The key is how they deal with them... notice that L&B have their fantastic reputation for customer service not because of their reliability, in fact quite the opposite - every time the subject comes up someone says "oh I had problem X, and they sorted me out free of charge before I could even come online and complain".

This isn't really a pro- or anti-Aerodyne post, since I've never had anything go wrong with them (onto my fourth product now) and so, by my own criteria, am not in a position to judge them. Just an observation.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Name calling aside, I think there's a bigger picture to look at. Whether it's an isolated incident or not, it's a lapse in quality control. The quality process begins with the acceptance of the order or job and extends (within reason) beyond delivery of the product or the completion of the service work. One has to wonder how many other times and in how many other areas, the ball was dropped. This isn't by any means Aerodyne specific, which makes it even more of a concern.

Also, one more old addage proven correct....the squeaky wheel gets the grease. ;)

now that I have calmed down Karl I agree with most of the posts left here.
Every company does have growing pains and to date I have never meet anyone that is perfect.
I thank you for dealing with your product and I truely do love the Aerodyne product.

What can I say other that shit happens.

The reason for the decline of the demo canopy is it was winter in Canada and I hate the cold. but yes you did offer the demo canopy and I did decline.

I wish you a great summer season and when I recieve my Vision back you will be the first to know about the new line set.

Blue Skies Karl and everyone down at Aerodyne.
change your break lines. for the love of your femurs.

now that I have calmed down Karl I agree with most of the posts left here.
Every company does have growing pains and to date I have never meet anyone that is perfect.
I thank you for dealing with your product and I truely do love the Aerodyne product.

What can I say other that shit happens.

The reason for the decline of the demo canopy is it was winter in Canada and I hate the cold. but yes you did offer the demo canopy and I did decline.

I wish you a great summer season and when I receive my Vision back you will be the first to know about the new line set.

Blue Skies Karl and everyone down at Aerodyne.

Jeff

No worries my friend, you as a valued customer have the right to voice your concerns or view points on any public forum. And we like any company value feed back and comments on our services and products, as these allow us to better serve you in the end.

I'm looking forward to hearing your comments on the revised lineset on your Vision, please don't hesitate to contact us anytime in the future.

I will also get some feed back on the delivery of your canopy today and will be calling you a little later to catch up on that and the other few things we spoke about on Friday.

Blue Skies

Karl Meyer
Sales Representative
Aerodyne Research
Office: 1 813 891 6300

Glad to hear that you two have kissed and made up.

In retrospect, you might have been wiser to order a line kit from Aerodyne and asked your local FAA Master Rigger or CSPA Rigger B to sew it on. That would have limited your down-time to a day or two.

Rob

That would have been the way we would have handled it, but due to the nature of the issues Jeff had on his canopy, we needed to do some jumps on it first and then check the version number vs the newest line trim specs and get a few more jumps on it to make sure it was all OK.

Blue Skies
Karl

Gotta agree.

Just want to add that I emailed karl about putting a ine set I have from an 'older' Vision onto a newer model. Didnt have the serial numbers just a rough idea of when I had ordered them. It took him all of two minutes to respond with the serial numbers. Still looking into the answer for me but WOW was that fast or what. Now it may have been that he just happened to be sat at the computer then but he made me feel like as a customer I was important to them.

thanks
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

Gotta agree.

Just want to add that I emailed karl about putting a ine set I have from an 'older' Vision onto a newer model. Didnt have the serial numbers just a rough idea of when I had ordered them. It took him all of two minutes to respond with the serial numbers. Still looking into the answer for me but WOW was that fast or what. Now it may have been that he just happened to be sat at the computer then but he made me feel like as a customer I was important to them.

thanks

Koppel

lol .... yes I was catching up with some e-mails etc when we chatted and it was a quick search on our intranet system to get your serial numbers, I'll get back to you tomorrow on the version numbers and let you know about the line set compatibility.

Blue Skies
Karl

Dear Jeff,

as president and CEO at Aerodyne Research, it is extremely important to know that our customers are being taken care of. Our customers, their opinions, experiences and their orders with Aerodyne are extremely important to me and to our company as a whole.

While it is true that we have been going through growing pains, (mostly starting afresh just 12 months ago and having to get 2 new manufacturing facilities up, running & delivering product). As the man in charge, the responsibility for your torrid experience with our company lies firmly on my shoulders, and I'd like to offer my sincere apologies for any and all inconveniences you experienced, with such a minor repair.

The reason for bringing Patrick on board as our in house rigger (master rigger) is to avoid the experience you just described. I can ensure that I am personally committed to providing every customer with the absolute best experience when dealing with Aerodyne, and Patrick, will play a big part in that, by heading up our repair dept, and being committed to our customers repair and technical needs.

Once again I apologize for the poor experience with our company and hope that my staff, has taken care of your situation. If not, please do not hesitate to contact me personally. We hope that your canopy flies a lot better than when you sent it to us, and that you haven't missed too much of the beginning of your skydiving season.

Kind regards & Blue skies

Bushman

I talked to them over the last couple of months asking for a status report and I got lies. I was told your canopy is done and we are sending it back to you or we are waiting for the lines or let me get back to you.......That was 3 months ago.

Edward,
I would imagine that you have addressed this issue with Northern also. I my little piece of the world, the "lies" would be what I would hang my hat on to decide to never do business with a company again. We aren't talking about a pizza order or your son or daughter when you ask them if they cleaned their rooms. This is an expensive investment for most people and something their lives depend on. Maybe we have grown to expect it from a used car salesman or politician ;), but I would think you would never put up with it for your company. I may get upset, but I respect a company/individual when they tell me the truth. Even when it wasn't what they may have 'promised' or 'committed' to me in prior conversations. SHIT HAPPENS!

I grade on a bell curve and some people have fantastic things to say and others have nothing but bad things to say, the truth is always somewhere in the middle and it sounds like you and your company are getting it right. Opinions and Assholes, right. Everybody has one. But putting the time delay aside, if this was just a mistake in communication, then most people I know could live with that. But if I find out a business has lied to me, I make every effort to do my future business elsewhere.
Oh and by the way, if you come to Denver, I'll be the guy riding my horse to work from now on. God Damn Oil Companies! >:(;)

Blue Skies and thanks for addressing the problem in public for everybody to see.

----------------------------------
Am I still in this world?
Yes, Grandfather.
I was afraid of that.