floridadiver81

3 ring...did i assemble correctly?

I just got my risers in and i attempted to assemble it to the rig. I know i must be able to do this at least once as it is a requirement to get my A license. So i did what i could based off of a picture i found via google. I would like the riggers to take a look and let me know if it is correct. I know i will have it looked at by a rigger at my dz..but i am curious to if i did it correctly myself with the help of a visual aide.

Edited to remove the pictures of it done incorrectly and to add the picture of it done how others have recommended it.
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

Looks like you routed the loop through the RSL ring on your right riser. It shouldnt be going through it.

Do you have a RSL at all on that rig?

EDIT: Looks like there are RSL rings on both risers and you did the same on both sides.
Remster

Make sure the white loop does not go through the RSL ring like you have it on the back of the right picture. DO NOT JUMP THAT SETUP.

I wouldn't assemble it that way, either, but what difference would it make even if there were an RSL attached?

Mark

I am curious if i did it correctly

Looks okay to me. Most folks wouldn't route the white loop through the RSL ring, and the left side cable housing usually goes under the harness webbing, but I'd jump it the way you've assembled it.

Mark

This is seriously something you should be discussing with your instructors on a dropzone and not with blurry photos in a forum.:S

Sorry about the blurriness of the pictures. i do not have a digital camera so the webcam was the only other option.
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie

This is seriously something you should be discussing with your instructors on a dropzone and not with blurry photos in a forum.:S

Actually, he did understand this was something he would check with his rigger before jumping it.

With the caveat above, this is actually not a bad question to ask IMO. Its a lot more straight forward then to ask "how do you do swoop" or others like that.
Remster

Sure it is. It sounds like he got a great response from you as well Remster in my opinion... Then there were conflicting replies about people not having a problem jumping it like that etc...

It just suprises me that people with little to none experience do not ask their instructors about this first and that they come here for answers as a first source.

Sure it is not how do you swoop or anything and there are very many professionals on this site but i for one just do not think students should come here for answers before they ask their instructors in person.

There are many people here who can answer this question but should they be answering this question on a forum? Seems there were two opinions as answers and surely that is not a good thing for a student.

Sorry if my post disrespects anyone, the funny thing is i would trust everyone that replied to him myself.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Firstly..i want to state that i did say..in the original post that i will of course have my DZO who is a master rigger..look over the complete rig before it is jumped. I fully understand that my instructors should be the first people i go to with anything. On the other hand...this situation isnt as sever as most questions asked by newbies on here. It was a simple yes or no pertaining to how i assemble the 3 ring release system. Of course different people are willing to jump different set ups. And that is their choice as long as it doesnt conflict with the FAA's regulations.
The thread was simple. I asked if it was done correctly. A simple yes or no would suffice. Instead..as there always will be onthe forum..i have people unnessessarily flaming me for not asking an instructor first. Firstly..you dont know me or my intelligance level. Yes there are some pretty stupid people out there. I think im fairly intelligent. Assembling a 3 ring release system isnt rocket science. Make sure the cable is clean and free of all obstructions. Check rings for extended wear as well as the risers themselves. Loop the middle ring through the big ring...then loop the small ring through the middle ring. Bring the closing loop through the small ring...then pass it through the gormmet...then through the ring on the cutaway cable housing and lastly run the cutaway cable through the loop...storing the excess cable appropiately in the riser. I also stated in the original post that it is a requirement to assemble it for the A license..so i will have to do it sooner or later. I dont see any problem whatsoever of doing it now. SO when it comes time to do it with an instructor present it will go smoothly with no hangups.

Cliffnotes of this post. Bigway, i have enough common sense to 1. Know what i can and cant do. If im uncomfortable with anything i will consult an instructor/rigger. 2. Do not automatically assume anything about anybody in a forum because of what you may think about that person. Who is to say that i didnt already talk to an instructor about this....because ya know what...this past saturday i was at my dz and i talk to a few riggers and asked them how it works. So i did already have insight into how it sets up.

This thread was not started to play the "go talk to an instrucor" role. It was to simple ask if i did it correctly. Far too many times i have seen people ask questions here and a lot of people for way beyond what was orginally asked. Sometimes its just better to keep it simple.

I don't know what kind of a rig this is, but my only comment might be on the "left" picture, The cutaway housing looks like it is in front of the reserve riser (coming in from the left side of the picture)
Check your manual. I believe it should be going behind the reserve rser and come in from the right side of the picture. Have someone you trust look it over as I could be full of shit.
He who hesitates shall inherit the earth.

Deadwood
Skydive New Mexico Motorcycle Club, Touring Division

Wow ....

Exactly. WHY someone with thousands of jumps would jump a rig with a misrouted RSL, and tell that to someone with 4 jumps, is baffling to me ... I'm almost thinking he's tired of newbie questions and his post was in jest?

On the other hand, people TRY to swoop without enough knowledge/experience every day. Not many 4-jump students try to hook up their own 3-rings.

To the original poster, I say kudos for posting, and for learning about your gear. However, misrouting any part of the 3-ring system is VERY not cool, and can be disastrous.

Glad you got input and checked with a rigger before jumping. Keep learning, and stay safe.

-D

My rig does not have a rsl. Originally when i assembled it i routed the loop through the rsl ring. I corrected it after i was told about it. My rig is done correctly now. Unless a rigger says otherwise.

Why must you attempt t highjack every thread that i post...not matter where i post it. Grow up. And if you think that is pink...get a new monitor.

Never having a go at you floridadiver, Just voicing my opinion on something mate. Sorry if i offended you mate. I know you post here alot so probably do have alot of commen sense.

I just have a thing about answers given on the website when there is conflict.

No offence to you mate at all.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

No worries dude. It just annoys me how some people word things on here...and how they always overdramatize things. I wasnt trying to come off offensive either. So i do appoligize if it came across like that. I do post alot here..and for as much as i post...i also absorb information too. yeah i know i only have 4 jumps...but the amount of textbook knowledge i have would be considered more than the typical person with 4 jumps. I did my tandem november 24th..and since that day i have been a sponge with all the information out there on this sport. Granted i dont have the actual experience...but that will come in time. Again, Bigway, i appoligize also.

Why must you attempt t highjack every thread that i post...not matter where i post it. Grow up. And if you think that is pink...get a new monitor.

I followed you're astute recommendation! :)

Just got a new monitor.....still PINK ! :D:D:D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Firstly..you dont know me or my intelligance level. Yes there are some pretty stupid people out there. I think im fairly intelligent.

:D:D:D:D:D

You just made coffee shoot out of my nose!

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

Not everyone has a dropzone nearby. So it sometimes takes weeks or months before they get out to the dropzone. So it is not always possible to go directly to a rigger or instructor. This guy wanted to get on with it and see if he could do it himself. Nothing wrong with that. Perhaps like me, he does not have knowledgable people at hand whom he can turn to. So this forum somewhat fills a void.

Not everyone has a dropzone nearby. So it sometimes takes weeks or months before they get out to the dropzone. So it is not always possible to go directly to a rigger or instructor. This guy wanted to get on with it and see if he could do it himself. Nothing wrong with that. Perhaps like me, he does not have knowledgable people at hand whom he can turn to. So this forum somewhat fills a void.

halle-freakin-lujah Someone finally figured that out. My home dz is about an hour away. I wanted to see if i could do it myself. Im glad someone finally realized that.

Firstly..you dont know me or my intelligance level. Yes there are some pretty stupid people out there. I think im fairly intelligent.

wow...typo...sue me.

wow...typo...sue me.

No way! :)

Let's say I win the suit, what an I going to do with a pink rig? :P

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

My only question is why did'nt you pull the manual for your container .... most if not all manufacturers have the "owners manual" online and I'm sure they would be glad to help you out if it's not online ?

http://www.miragesys.com/Downloads/G4ContainerManual.pdf

http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=91&Itemid=38
99% of the people on this earth are sheep ... dare to be different