tdog

RWS/UPT TrueLock Toggles - Brake Fire

if i understand right i agree with you about not using the pin for stowing the excess line...i managed to create a mal that way last week because i pulled the toggle free down thru the loop of excess line..creating a neatly locked off brake line...
as i had never tried landing on rears i chopped this and then took the resultant mess to the UPT rigger Pablo who told me not to stow that way and just to stow the excess doubled over in the elastic on the rear of the risers...

I too was told that RWS/UPT had changed their recommendation, to NOT using the pin to secure the excess line. Maybe someone from UPT can comment?

Not from UPT, but I have a copy of the Vector3 manual from 2003 that doesn't tell you to stow the line with the pin, and another copy from 2007 that does.

if i understand right i agree with you about not using the pin for stowing the excess line...i managed to create a mal that way last week because i pulled the toggle free down thru the loop of excess line..creating a neatly locked off brake line...
as i had never tried landing on rears i chopped this and then took the resultant mess to the UPT rigger Pablo who told me not to stow that way and just to stow the excess doubled over in the elastic on the rear of the risers...

I too was told that RWS/UPT had changed their recommendation, to NOT using the pin to secure the excess line. Maybe someone from UPT can comment?

Not from UPT, but I have a copy of the Vector3 manual from 2003 that doesn't tell you to stow the line with the pin, and another copy from 2007 that does.

Well, THAT clarifies things.

Maybe it depends on your preference in malfunctions.:S:|

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

My Vector3 manual doesn't tell me to stow the line with the pin.

Check page "53:88". This shows stowing the excess through the pin.

Page "50:88" shows not routing it through the pin.

The date on the bottom of the page (on my electronic copy) is 11/26/2003.
revision: Rev. 0

In my opinion, something like stowing the excess falls into the "do what works for you" and "just don't be stupid" categories. Several safe ways to do it.

My "packing tips" DVD that came with the user manual for my Micron (2007) also showed stowing with the pin.

I'm sure it's just personal preference and that the functionality difference is negligible. I always stow my own toggles when packing and look at them under canopy before releasing them, which has kept me out of trouble so far.

My rigger mentioned a possiblility of a tension knot in the brake line(s) if stowing using the pin, but I can't visualize that happening with the setup. (This is also the same rigger who is vehemently against the skyhook, AADs, and "reinventing the wheel" with regards to harness/container systems, so I take that with a grain of salt.)
Why don't you just play 'chicken' on the railroad tracks? It would be a cheaper way to toy with death, I'm sure.

CWR #2 - "You SAID collision!"