froggie

addictions?

It seems to me, from just hanging out here for a bit now, and thru general conversations that there are a lot of skydivers out there who use to be addicted to drugs/ lifestlyes... whatever. This is a trend that Ive noticed outside of this web site. Ive seen it in a couple of skydiver friends from around my way too. Am I just really niave or does it seem like a lot of us became addicted to a skydiving lifestlye and have left the past behind us? I know that this whole skydiving thing has made me a much stronger person,it was a way to take back what was once lost. And its given me the determination not to get into an old lifestyle that was so destructive. Im not verbalizing this how Im thinking it... somewhere between what im thinking and what im typing things arent translating right. So please try to just bear with my thoughts here, and understand what im writing.
Point being, in its simplest form, have a lot of us chose skydiving as an addiction and kicked the old ones out? or found that putting our money/time/effort/life into skydving was more important than drugs? Or found the stregth to quit cause of the change that skydiving has on a person?
damn. still doesnt sound how im thinking it.
froggie

LOL, I don't think I could afford many addictions besides skydiving. I did smoke, but that's a relatively tame one moneywise. If I were into other drugs though, I don't think I could afford to buy them and feed my real habit.
As for the leaving it all behind thing... Yeah, selling my house and moving out to a dropzone does have a certain appeal.

I think I know where you're coming from. I can't speak for other skydivers, just myself.
A little self-psychoanalysis....
I would describe my general personality as "inquisitive" and "experience-seeking". I like learning and trying new things, and the learning process in general has always appealed to me. So my "pattern" is to find something new and totally immerse myself in it. I'll practice & practice & read & read. I'll generally become pretty knowledgable and adept at whatever it is. Problem is, then I get bored and move on to something else.
Now this has manifested itself in some fairly self-destructive ways in the past. I was heavy into pot & drinking in college. I finally woke up and quit both. My post-college experience has pretty much been picking up the pieces (which has actually gone fairly well), but that "experience-seeking" part of me still exists. It just manifests itself in my hobbies. I drive my wife and friends crazy because I bounce from hobby to hobby quite a bit. I can't help but wonder if I've done all this because I've been searching for something ... intangible, but something.
My guess is that my experience isn't that uncommon in our world. The thing that's different is that I think with skydiving I've found "it". I tell my wife that and she just rolls her eyes and says "Yeah, right. You'll become an expert and then move on like with everything else." I don't think so. Skydiving is different. I can't explain why, I just feel it.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

Hehe, well actually, yeah.
As far as pot goes, I smoked a lot. I was stoned pretty much all-day every day throughout college. I lost my motivation to study and it messed up my short-term memory for a while. I had a pretty serious problem. Needless to say my grades tanked.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

I wish I had something positive to add however, from what I've noticed a LOT of skydivers are heavily into drugs as well. The most popular being X but quite a few others as well.
Me personally, however, I stick to buds and suds (weed and beer for those of you who didn't pick up on that one:)I sincerely congratulate though, those who were formerly addicted to more severe narcotics and decided to kick the habit.
BLUE SKIES!
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

Something I find interesting that may relate here... I was diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder about 6 years ago. When I was growing up it was thought that girls didn't have ADD and it was something that a child usually grew out of; my teachers and parents were convinced that my problems were caused by a character flaw - if I would just "apply myself" everything would be fine. Current thinking in the medical community is that both sexes can have it, it's rare to out grow it and people with undiagnosed ADD are often unknowingly trying to "self-medicate" with many legal and illegal substances. Many who have been diagnosed and put on medication (usually a stimulant such as Ritalin or Dexedrine) to control the symptoms find that they no longer need/want the thc, caffeine, alcohol or whatever other substance they've been using.
Since being diagnosed I've met a LOT of other jumpers who either were diagnosed with it as a child or were never diagnosed but show all the classic symptoms. IMHO this may be a partial explanation for why many jumpers smoke, drink and do drugs - heck it may even explain why some of us are jumping at all!
This subject is a bit too deep for such a short post... if anyone is interested in more info please let me know!

pull and flare,
lisa

I'm going to have to agree with Carrie on this one. It seems to me that there is a high correlation between skydiving and drugs.

I have to agree too, I haven't been to a boogie or a dz yet that didn't have drugs present. Which could take us back to the previous thread where it was mentioned that most people who skydive have addictive personalities....if not with drugs, then with adrenaline, etc.
Even the skydiving lifestyle can be addictive. There is nothing like a weekend out at the dz....and the skydiving "family" is second to none. I can't think of a better, more friendly group of people! :)Tee

well...i didn't quit drugs because of skydiving, i quit (most) drugs before i started jumping. i see the jumping/drugs thing ya'll are talking about but just to be fair i know a lot of jumpers who don't drink or do anything else. maybe they did it in the past, i don't know. anyway, i will smoke some bud and drink some brew and once in awhile i might do something a little more crazy like x or acid if its handy and i don't have to be up the next day, etc. but i don't get addicted from just doing it one time every so often...i won't get on a load with anyone visibly intoxicated either, thank you very much
i have kicked many addictions over the years and like others here, i have bounced around from hobby to hobby all my life. my best friend told me i would get over jumping, that pissed me off. this is IT! i will never stop jumping unless i am forced to
sis

WC is right. It seems like drugs and skydiving go hand in hand. I don't like it either but I'm not going to stop jumping because other people do things I don't agree with. I've never had any other addiction besides skydiving. I've never done any kind of drugs and I'm certainly not going to start now. I do know A LOT of old addicts who skydive and most all of them have told me they started jumping so they could transfer their addiction from drugs to something more positive. So, to all the recovering addicts, congratulations and good luck! Skydiving is DEFINITLY better than anything you could have ever done!!

this may not belong here, another thread might better suit it but...
i was talking to a whuffo friend tonight and he asked me "arent all skydivers cocaine heads?"
I couldnt believe it. I just sat there and looked at him like "what the hell are you talking aobut?!?"
So i explained to him that no, not all skydivers are cocaine heads. and as a matter of fact, the two cant really exist side by side. they both cost too much. And i told him that that idea was ridiculous.
SOme people. wait, whuffos. dont they know anything?

I have to agree too, I haven't been to a boogie or a dz yet that didn't have drugs present. Which could take us back to the previous thread where it was mentioned that most people who skydive have addictive personalities....if not with drugs, then with adrenaline, etc.

I find this very strange, and am starting to wonder where all you people live. I have never seen any sign of drugs at either of the two DZ's that I frequent. I've stayed the entire weekend several times at my home DZ and never saw any drug use going on. Now we do have some people who like to drink, and a couple that like to smoke (not pot!), but that is
the extent of it.
I think this is where whuffos get some of their stereotypes of skydivers. Since a good number of skydivers live in CA or FL where such things are more prevelent in general they associate this behavior with skydiving.
BTW, I'm not passing judgement on anybody here. I don't see it as my place to tell you what to do with your life. As long as you aren't endangering anybody else (especially me) it's your business.

I've never done drugs and never will. I don't care if others do, but if they are under the influence of them I won't jump with them until they are sober. I don't know any skydivers that do drugs, other than alcohol and tobacco. My home DZ has a no tolerance policy on drugs and I like it that way. Drinking on the grounds while the plane is flying is a no-no too. If others want to do these things I could care less, unless it affects my safety. I am addicted to skydiving, but only because I love to be in the sky. This is why I am a pilot and a skydiver, and drugs don't fit my lifestyle.
Blue Skies and Safe Jumps,
Adam

I know in my experience, I've never met anyone that does drugs during jumping hours, just in the evening. I'm not sure there are many skydivers that would endanger themselves or anyone they are jumping with by jumping "under the influence".
tee :)

I'm a recovered alcoholic. Without skydiving it would be very hard to not drink. But who the hell needs drinking when you can get a rush like skydiving??
Skydivers rock. Skydiving saved my life. It brought me meaning and value and inspired in me a freedom of spirit. It is the cure for all that ailed me.
I guess there is a chance that skydiving could kill me someday. I will do my best to prevent that from happening. But according to my doctor, alcohol would have for sure taken me out within a few years of when I quit. I had only been a heavy drinker for 7 years and I already had the beginnings of catastrophic illness. I quit just in time.
I'll take the risks of skydiving over the risks of alcohol any day of the week.
Jack

To all of those who have left their addictions behind : GOOD FOR YOU!
for those who never had to fight an addiction : I can only hope that you never have to.
To those of you living with an addiction : go jump man! everybody needs their fix :)
but seriously, Im proud of all of you who have realized that living with something so destructive is not for you, and have quit, its a hard thing to do, i know.
froggie