chris1269

Skylark Equipment ?

Hi all,

Im just doing some general research on some gear and came across these guys - http://www.skyorder.com.ua/eng . Has anyone ever had any experience with their canopys, if so what are they like, in particular the Magellan? Of course the price looks attractive but is it money well spent? It would be great to hear peoples opinions! Cheers,
Blue Skies, Chris
"You only live once"

I have Skylark RW jumpsuit.Well made with quality materials.I heard good things about Magelan.This canopy is the same class like Safire and Sabre 2.I'm still waiting reply for their demo program.

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

I bought the Skylark's Magellan after reading/hearing a very positive comments about thier canopies from many of skydivers here (
At that moment I consider to buy a Saffire 2 from Icarus Canopies)...
The Canopy is just great:)
Basing on my very little expireinse with Saffire 2 and opinion of fellow skydiver who flying Saffire 2 ~300 jumps and took my Magellan for a few jumps
Magellan generally flying is vrey close to Saffire2 and outflying it...
It has nose desing more like Crossfire
The quality of conopy and material used is also very highB|

P/S
Magellan 140 WL 1.6

Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

Jumped Magellan 120(1.37) and 150(1.1).
Packing - all of my packing done on canopies below 100 jumps on it... with my experience it was quite a challenge but...
Opening - Even with far from perfect packing openings are good :) Not to slow but still comfortable. Unstowed break is not much a problem on 120.
Flying - Front risers soft enough to make any maneuvers or keep on dive after 720.
Flare - Landing of 120 was so simple that even on first jump you feel how to land soft and without running.

P.S. Ordered 110 is in production now :)

Its been my experience

With 45 jumps you're ready to give advice on a canopy purchase? If you can open your mind you might learn something from others who actually have experience with these products. I'm impresses with what I've read here.

Skylark canopies are generally well received on the Russian market for their quality. Dmitri Lukh, the owner and canopy designer of Skylark, plies his trade well. To the best of my knowledge there have been no recalls, bulletins, or unwanted behavior so far (unlike, say, Paraavis).

Its been my experience

With 45 jumps you're ready to give advice on a canopy purchase? If you can open your mind you might learn something from others who actually have experience with these products. I'm impresses with what I've read here.

Ah, yes. But then again, perhaps that's why he prefaced it by saying "It's been my experience" instead of saying, "I've been all over the world skydiving, flown all sorts of canopies, racked up X jumps, and this is what I think. Learn from me." The "in my experience" disclaimer sums it up quite nicely.

For what it's worth, that's been my experience in the world of skydiving, too. Of course, my experience isn't all that much, but hey, from what I've seen from people buying certain containers/canopies that cost less and then realizing what they weren't capable of, it seems a valid point.

That being said, I have little re: the Skylark stuff to add to this conversation myself...I, too, am enjoying the info, having never heard of the company before. I just found it funny that someone was chastising someone else who attempted to contribute about "opening their mind...".

Seems very...close-minded. :S
Signatures are the new black.

On a small-scale DZ near Moscow where I often jump there are a few Skylark canopies present. A couple of Magellans: one is owned by a person jumping mostly formation dives (150 sq ft) and one for rental gear (190sq ft). One of our camera guys owns Odyssey 130 and I've seen how people jumped here Odysseys 110 and 100 sq ft.

The guy who owns Magellan 150 said that he didn't have any troubles with openings and getting back from far-away corners getting on his rears or applying half-breaks.

The Odyssey is more like a Crossfire, owners even say that their Odysseys are superior to the Crossfires, I'll doubt that. But the canopy never the less looks to be quite good. Once we jumped 3-way freefly with the owner of Odyssey 100, the other guy and myself were under Crossfires-2 129, though lightly loaded about 1.4-1.5. After opening with breaks still stowed in place we were flying on the same level with that guy on Odyssey 100! He was also stowing his slider behind his head. The canopy looks to be quite stable and not so ground-hungry. But it flies great! I've seen landings of Odysseys 100, 110 and 130. Nothing fancy:) Last summer one instructor under Katana 107 rocked the place on even pretty conservative approaches doing 180 turns! Maybe everything boils down to the pilot skills in the end:P

Hey all,

Some very good and interesting information. Its nice to explore and see what peoples thoughts are. I think the Magellan canopy certainly worth thinking about.

Without a doubt il make arrangements to test jump one, and see what its like for myself!

Thanks for all your input everyone!!

Blue Skies , Chris
"You only live once"

The "in my experience" disclaimer

"In my experience," from a person with no experience (regarding these particular products) means "I don't know."

it seems a valid point.

It might to you, but the OP asked "has anyone had any experience with their canopys [sic]" The posts from those with experience seem to contradict your "valid point."

chastising

???
Not nearly that dramatic.

Seems very...close-minded.

Yea, that's me. I'm the guy who thinks that real-world experience trumps assumptive folk-wisdom every time, and that people who "don't know" aren't in a position to give a credible answer.

Is that all you got? Did Ironmanjay put you up to this? Never mind--that's enough flaming for this thread. Send me a PM if ya got more...

The Odyssey is more like a Crossfire, owners even say that their Odysseys are superior to the Crossfires, I'll doubt that.

I owned Crossfire-109 and Crossfire-99, now I own Skylark Odyssey-95 and Neos-89, so, Odyssey is more HP canopy than Crossfire, it dives deeper, developing more speed in turns, amost like my Neos, and opens very nice, a bit faster than too long snivel of Crossfire, but very comfortable, stable and on-heading. Really good canopy, if it'll have PD or IC logo and higher price, many pepole in the world will fly Skylark canopies.
Also SkyLark making 7-cell ZP canopy "Skipper", IMHO, it flies better that Spectre and have very good openings.

Hi, i know it is long time from original post date, i hope my reply will help some one who could still have any question about Skylark equipment. I am a dealer in UK and i just put together little website i hope it ism more easy to navigate and to get to what you need.

If anyone need any advice or answer to your question in English, do not hesitate to contact i will do my best to help you.

Possibly even put you in contact with some one who is local to you.
The site addres is http://www.skylark-equipment.co.uk/
Have nice day! ;)

Hi, i know it is long time from original post date, i hope my reply will help some one who could still have any question about Skylark equipment. I am a dealer in UK and i just put together little website i hope it ism more easy to navigate and to get to what you need.

If anyone need any advice or answer to your question in English, do not hesitate to contact i will do my best to help you.

Possibly even put you in contact with some one who is local to you.
The site addres is http://www.skylark-equipment.co.uk/
Have nice day! ;)

Nice, they got someone in Queensland! hope we will get some dealers across the pond some day.:D