JeepDiver

RkyMntHigh's no shit there I was cutaway

I thought she was going to die!!

Good job Katee on not dying today. ;)

Stop teasing us, Tom. What happened??

Or, more to the point, did you pack her main? ;)

Either way, good job saving yourself, Katee!

Good job Katee on not dying today. ;)

Good job Katee. What happened?

I have Katee on the phone right now, here's the short version. She's doing a CReW camp at Sabastian. Lucky...
She was on jump 387, doing a 3 stack there, she exited, and when she deployed, she broke the front left A line, and that put her in a fast left hand turn, and she popped her toggles, and then CRew instructors docked on her and slid down to her to figure out her options. They wanted to land her as a two stack, but after doing a controllabilty check, she decided to cutaway because of a no wind conditions on the ground. She cutaway around 4000K and kept her handles (she tucked them in her bra), she had a nice canopy flight on her reserve. When the reserve opened, she said "Hey, cool it worked"!
Good job Katee, I believe that's her first cutaway and first 3 CReW stack! I believe that's TWO cases of beer! ;):)
"Dancing Argentine Tango is like doing calculus with your feet."
-9 toes

[reply I believe that's her first cutaway and first 3 CReW stack! I believe that's TWO cases of beer! ;):)

Nice job Katee...and it's only ONE case of beer the 2 events occured on the one jump so ONLY ONE case Katee:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

[reply I believe that's her first cutaway and first 3 CReW stack! I believe that's TWO cases of beer! ;):)

Nice job Katee...and it's only ONE case of beer the 2 events occured on the one jump so ONLY ONE case Katee:)

Shhh...are you trying to cheat the dropzone out of free beer? What kind of barbarism is this?;):o>:(
-9 toes

Shhh...are you trying to cheat the dropzone out of free beer? What kind of barbarism is this?;):o>:(

The honest type, too many people try to scam people out of jump money to buy beer. I dont drink so I'm the "beer rule" advisor. More people need to actually READ the beer rules.
Wendy, post a link girl:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The honest type, too many people try to scam people out of jump money to buy beer. I dont drink so I'm the "beer rule" advisor. More people need to actually READ the beer rules.
Wendy, post a link girl:)

However, she did say "first" both times in referring to her "accomplishments".
-9 toes

So very glad that my first cutaway was on a CRW jump since there was altitude in my favor. After deploying the main (PD Lightning), went into a fast left turn..realized that trying to fix the turns with my brakes wasn't working, I decided to go full flight then things settled out. Mike Lewis was the pilot, I docked on him, then Mike Fedak flew under me and below docked on me...we had a nice 3 stack going then ML had me drop MF, then climbed down my lines to show me the broken line and discuss my options. Told me that they would do some two way rots while I did controllability check and check my stall point and make my decision to have him land me in a 2 stack or go ahead and cutaway. Even slight left toggle input resulted in fast turns left..and when I did a slight flare to just below my ears, I was on my back. Nothing about that felt like I could confidently land the canopy. I motioned ML back over, docked, and again he slid down my lines and I told him that I've decided to cutaway. MF docked below me for my 2nd 3 stack point, but I told him that I decided to cutaway. Cutaway handle came out nice and easy (peel/punch), then went back into freefall, nice and stable, then peel/punch the silver and poof! reserve was out. I realized that my handles were in my hands and thought cool..and stored them away *safely*. ML landed next to the main in the parking lot and MF spiraled down to grab my reserve pc.

As far as owing :D or a bottle, the Rigger just wanted a Gatorade, MF just wanted a Dr. Pepper, and ML water...what cheap dates;)

Whew! glad to have that *first* out of the way. If anything, it made me feel confident that cutting away isn't as scarey as I thought it would be and that my reserve actually worksB|

Woo hoo! Thats' what's great about CRW - you've got friends around to discuss with what you should do about your canopy! I did that last fall - a buddy of mine on a Lightning had a really nice rip down his end cell. We chatted for a while, I told him the size of the rip etc and he considered the problem :-) So much more fun than freefall cutaways!!!!

W

Woo hoo! Thats' what's great about CRW - you've got friends around to discuss with what you should do about your canopy! I did that last fall - a buddy of mine on a Lightning had a really nice rip down his end cell. We chatted for a while, I told him the size of the rip etc and he considered the problem :-) So much more fun than freefall cutaways!!!!

W

Wendy, as you know, I've been excited to try CRW for quite awhile now..and that time finally came. I can honestly say that I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did. The ability to communicate in CRW and gain immediate feedback and make corrections within the same jump was very gratifying. Another girl who attended the camp had a whirligig on her very first CRW jump and she laughed so hard because she actually enjoyed it!:ph34r: She and her RW peer who were both at the camp were so bitten by the bug from their very first jump decided to buy Lightnings asap.B| What a great weekend!

Thanks April and Cora...you two are so sweet:)
Just to clarify how I decided between Mike L. landing me in a 2 stack versus me cutting away...here are the factors considered in my decision:

* can't land this canopy, so I can let a good canopy of the upper jumper of the 2 stack land me with my damaged nonlandable canopy over me...in very light winds...meaning rough landing/PLF..potential injury...hmmm

* first cutaway, drop the main at a favorable place on the airport property..and have a reserve ride..ie: good canopy...hmmm

I'll go with landing a good canopy and save my bones... for today.:D