sheen79

AFF to RAPS

Hi

I tried the AFF course 5 years ago and failed on level 6. I am now going to try again but this time by doing the RAPS course. I have heard that you cant go from AFF to RAPS and was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is true. As I said the AFF was 5 years back so im hoping going for the RAPS course wont be a problem ?

After a five year delay, you are will have forgotten so much that you are almost back to zero, so you will have to sit through all the classroom sessions again.

Since I may not understand the finer points of British training methods ... I always perceived Ram Air Parachute S...??? as a lead-in to Accelerated Freefall training.
IOW start with slow-speed skills, then gradually introduce high-speed skills.
For example - in Canada - most schools start students with tandems (to show them the big picture and get them over that first rush of emotions) then students do a couple of IAD jumps which focus on the basics of steering ram-air parachutes. Then once their exits are graceful, they start jumping with Progressive Freefall Instructors.
The idea is to feed them new information in small bites.

What was the cause for failure at level 6? It may have been poor instruction. I'm not saying that may be the case but the AFF course has changes in the last 5 years. We have transitioned from Levels to Categories which gives us more flex in the program. Consider the AFF route again. You have a baseline knowledge of what's expected and you can build on that. Just my thoughts.

After 5 years you will have to start from scratch which ever training method you choose.

As you progress through RAPS you will at some point have to do jumps from altitude and do backloops and tracking and have to pass those jumps just like you would do on a L6 but it'll take longer and more jumps to get to that point.

The only benefit I can see to going to RAPS after having got as far as L6 is if you can't afford to do AFF. What is stopping you from re-starting AFF?

Don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things!