hjumper33

Leg straps that slip

My groundlaunching harness has leg straps that seem to come loose almost every launch. When I land they are about 8 inches longer than when I launched. Anyone got a solution to make this problem go away? The harness is basically a javelin.

Change the legstrap hardware. I had this problem on a Vector 3 Micron that I bought used. Called up Relative Workshop (UPT) and they took care of it free of charge. I wasen't even the original owner. The rig was 5 years old and they still took care of me. :)

If your hardware is stamped "PS24040" or "MS24040" you might try a spring tensioner (like Para-Gear item # H345) before you go the expense of changing out the hardware. The tensioner pushes against the bar, so the webbing is held more tightly.

The tensioner installs with just a pair of pliers. The downside: unthreading the webbing becomes difficult or impossible -- not a problem if you were going to step in anyway.

Mark

Hi,

If you are on a budget you could do the rubber band trick (see attached), it kinda works

VERY BAD IDEA!!! NO skydiver should be on a budget when Safety is top priority!!! or he/she should find another sport.. Any competent rigger will tell you why!!

It seems to me that its a combination of the shiny new stainless hardwear and leg straps that havent been worn in much at all. I will see what my rigger says, just thought id get some input here. But hey, im allowed to be on a budget for GL, thats kind of part of the appeal of the sport.:D

VERY BAD IDEA!!! NO skydiver should be on a budget when Safety is top priority!!! or he/she should find another sport.. Any competent rigger will tell you why!!

Yea, any competent rigger that's trying to sell you a new rig.:P
Seriously, there is no problem in being a budget skydiver and it doesn't have to affect safety.

We used to do the rubber band thing in the old days:P. To be honest, this slipping of the legstrap scared me and I didn't dare to sell the rig I was having these problems with.:o

I just thought of another solution I once saw. He had put a snap button on the legstrap. The problem here is that you can't adjust the length anymore for thin pants for instance, but it looked like a good solution.
Tristan
Will you answer "NO" to my next question?

I just thought of another solution I once saw. He had put a snap button on the legstrap. The problem here is that you can't adjust the length anymore for thin pants for instance, but it looked like a good solution.

I hope that wasn't on a skydiving rig. Putting on snaps requires punching holes in the webbing.

Mark

We've solved leg strap slippage cold on various harnesses by sewing a layer of Type XII webbing on the outside of the leg strap. (Make sure it's on the side that lays against the bottom of the movable bar where the bumps are - technically called 'knurls.') It will make the webbing harder to thread/unthread through the hardware, but not impossible.

This is assuming you have traditional friction adapters instead of French-style.

This is easy, cheap, and really, really works - especially with stainless hardware. It has the added benefit of acting like a chafing strap, protecting the actual harness webbing if you tend to butt-slide.

Of course if this is a TSO'd rig that's also used for jumping you'd want to get the manufacturer's approval, etc. ;)

Oh yeah - also make sure the hardware was originally sewn on there correctly. I once found a rig where the friction adapters had been sewn on "upside-down" by the manufacturer.

Hi,
Please, contact the manufacturer of your rig! The problem is the combination of some type of stainless steel hardware and some different colors of webbing. They even did a study about webbing slippage and they found out that is all about how the webbing manufacturer dyes them.
I hope this helps you!
Cheers,
Gus Marinho

We've solved leg strap slippage cold on various harnesses by sewing a layer of Type XII webbing on the outside of the leg strap. (Make sure it's on the side that lays against the bottom of the movable bar where the bumps are - technically called 'knurls.') It will make the webbing harder to thread/unthread through the hardware, but not impossible.

I believe Aerodyne did something similar to this to some earlier Icon's that were experiencing slippage. Mine is one of the older models but it never slips, so I just left well enough alone.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

A few other comments:

Some colors of webbing seem worse than others. Silver is pretty bad. I think either Booth or Reid did a test on webbing slippage a while back.

Some people sew a strip of binding tape to the back of the legstrap to increase friction; seems to work.

I often use a rubber band around the webbing tails on my current rig (a Reflex with silver webbing) - seems to work pretty well. It also does a good job of stowing the excess tail.

Put a keeper above the friction adapter. Pull the excess upward. Fold the excess forward in 1/2 then pull that part through the keeper. Stuff the rest in the upper leg pad.

It's easy to do and it's secure. Not all upper leg pads allow for this but most can be easily modified.

It has the advantage of not slipping and also allows the user to easily grab the very end of the leg strap webbing and free it.

My harness is very secure. After opening, I sometimes wish to tighten the leg straps a little more to aid with harness turns. Grab the end, pull it down and tighten. Takes about a second.

Pictures:
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I hope that wasn't on a skydiving rig. Putting on snaps requires punching holes in the webbing.

Mark

We have a few rigs like that at our DZ. I liked it, had my rigger do the same on my previous rig when it started slipping. It just made reselling it a bit harder, although in this particular case the legstraps had been cut off for some reason (by previous owner) so they were pretty short already :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

We have a few rigs ... [with snaps on the leg straps] at our DZ. I liked it, had my rigger do the same on my previous rig when it started slipping.

Okay, I can think of a way to install snaps without punching holes in load-bearing webbing. OTOH, putting holes in the load-bearing webbing is generally cause for grounding the rig until the webbing can be replaced -- even if a rigger does it.

Mark

You have a valid point since my reply is more suited for freefall than hanging in the harness. Good catch. However ... Unless you actually pull up on the friction adapter from the bottom it will not make it slip. Since the original poster has slippage issues while hanging in the harness, this quite possibly will do nothing, but it wont make it worse.

What it did, quite well I might add, is stop the slip in freefall. I've tracked off many many times pulling legstraps back in place before deploying. That fixed it.

After opening, there is tension on the friction adapter but not the free end.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Ok...I'm conservative and I don't go for the jury-rigging ideas. I like better safe than sorry.

Send it to the manufacturer for replacements/repairs or, if you have a trusted rigger qualified to do it, so be it.

Rubber bands? Tape? Snaps?

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

my voodoo started slipping last year and I call rigging innovation I'm the original owner and I have it for 5 years
they want it $250 to repair it. if the slip was evenly on both side it well be no problem, but one side slip abut one inch more than other, with small canopy it want to dive and it make it really hard to get out of line twist unless you reach up and pull on top of the line twist. oh I use a rubber band to keep it from moving, chest and leg straps
"A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body; jealousy is like cancer in the bones ..."

My husband is the second owner of his rig, the container is 5-6 years old. The hardware slipped. We called Sunpath. They replaced the hardware at no charge.

You should stop putting soap on the hardware to get free stuff!:P

Gus Marinho