bloody_trauma

The Army's New Parachute...

I wouldn't start jumping to conclusions just yet. There are still a few kinks that need to be worked out before that system actually hits the street.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

mjosparky sent me this MSG

The canopy you found was designed and tested by Paraflite for the ATPS (Army Tactical Parachute System) program. It was in competition with several other companies for the contract. One of which was Irvin Aerospace. During the 2 year testing program Airborne Systems bought out both companies.

http://www.airbornesystems-na.com

As Scott said the canopy developed by Paraflite won but due the very rigid design criteria it is not over yet. It is required to land at 16 fps or less with a load of 376 pounds, open via static line in less then 250 feet with the aircraft doing 135 KEAS.

At the time I was working for a company named AERO and we handled all the testing for Irvin Aerospace’s ATPS canopy. Attached is a picture of me doing a live test jump on their canopy.

Go to this web site for more information. Scroll down about half way to the Aeroconical Parachute 5000 and there is another picture of me testing that canopy for Irvin of Canada also part of Airborne Systems.

http://www.paraflite.com/productlisting.htm

Thanks Michael
Fly it like you stole it

some more infos

http://www.paraflite.com/pdfs/T-11ATPS.pdf

but hey can anyone give up some info on the Raider Scontainer, the Intruder parachute system, and the GQ 360 parachute system.

specifically have any of you flow these systems in about the 230 size? what are thier flight characteristics?

i imagine the raider container weighs quite a bit, hey would i be able to get a container manufacturer to build me a container made out of cordura with an ACU pattern?
Fly it like you stole it

can anyone give up some info on the Raider Scontainer, the Intruder parachute system, and the GQ 360 parachute system.

specifically have any of you flow these systems in about the 230 size? what are thier flight characteristics?

I have a good deal of time under the Raider/Intruder system. I doubt you will find people who have flown it outside of the military community and even then on a limited basis. Haven't flown the 230, only the 360. Since para-flite only sells to the military don't expect to see it for sale anywhere.

i imagine the raider container weighs quite a bit, hey would i be able to get a container manufacturer to build me a container made out of cordura with an ACU pattern?

Depends on what you are comparing it to. For the size canopies and equipment used it is not excessively heavy by any means. I would imagine most container mfgrs could build you a ACU container no problem.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I think you will see the MC-6 in the field long before the ATPS.

The MC-6 is already in the field on a limited basis. However it is currently grounded.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

is there anything LD doesnt know about the military?

I would tell you in a heart beat yes, there are some things I don't know about. I have been in the military almost 2 decades and I find I am still learning about new and old things on a regular basis. The trick is to never stop learning by thinking you know everything you need to know.;)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Maybe that is because he is an army jumpmaster.

Thanks for that little morsel of info, youve just forced out something important from my brain that i will never get back.

LD's lucky in my opinion to have done in his career what has and is doing. although im sure it takes the fun out of jumping just a little bit when your at work...

you know what they say, all work and no play... something something

but what do i know right... im just a lowly E-5 Nurse
Fly it like you stole it

That's Answers.com entry is ripped from wikipedia and obviously this part is bullshit.

A bunch of the stuff on the Wiki is total propaganda. Just some of the skydiving-related history stuff has me reeling.

Correct it. I deleted the wiki error I saw, it ain't here anymore and answers.com will re-scrape it at some point.

Depends on what you are comparing it to. For the size canopies and equipment used it is not excessively heavy by any means. I would imagine most container mfgrs could build you a ACU container no problem.

problem seems to be getting the material in large enough rolls.. unless they do military manufacturing already you are going to have to buy ALOT more material than a single rig requires..

One of my early coaches had a 'cookie dough' camo rig I just loved... but unless your in the right place right time or willing to buy the whole roll of material its not just an 'order and wait' process..

hi there  i am looking for any information on the GQ 360 parachutes , any picks of the the harness and the main parachute in use , i have a new 360 harness and i am looking for some parts to complete it , i dont want to use it  just make it look right in my collection , i am looking for the cutaway cable , and deployment bags and reserve pilot chute , any information on where i may be able to get said parts would be great , many thanks twodogs