dalemeyer

old school vs new

The hornet was built by PISA prior to their merge with Aerodyne and when that occured production of the Hornet ceased.

There is no official "Hornet 2" as any suggested replacement came from another company. Some here will suggest that the Pilot, Aerodynes semi eliptical, would be it's successor, but the 2 canopies are worlds apart, with the Hornet opening on the brisk side, and the Pilot being a slooow opener.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Howdy lads and lasses...

i have two questions.
1. What is the follow up to the Hornet canopy
2. Where can i find an owners manual for the Hornet.

thanks folks
DC

From your profile it looks like you are flying the hornet now. I am a little curious about why you are looking for a replacement.

The reason why I ask is because if your profile is correct you are starting to get a relatively high loading for some one with 60 jumps. I was just wondering if you were thinking about downsizing from the hornet.

I load my hornet 170 at a little less than 1.2. The openings on the older years with smaller sliders are night and day compared to a pilot opening!!! Much much faster, also more likely to whack you. :D

I found my hornet to dive more in all manuevers when compared to the pilot.

Overall I am very happy with it, but I think it is approaching the point where it needs a reline. I will feel much better flying it when it is back in trim.

It is an awesome canopy, especially for what I paid for it. I think it easily holds its own with some of the newer intermediate canopies on the market.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

no, you get me wrong... thats my first canopy that i am still not allowed to jump.
i need about 25 more jumps before i can use the hornet.

I was just curious about the older and newer models that are in that range as many have said that the hornets are awesome canopies.
Just thought i could compare the two (old vs new) and learn more about them before i jump one...

and the wing loading will be 1.3 on the 190 there.
Take it easy... and if you get it easy, take it TWICE!

I didn't like the openings at first, but now that is my favorite part of the canopy.

Don't get me wrong I also really really love the way my pilot flies, but I love the extra 600 feet the hornet gives me when compared to the 900+ foot openings of my pilot.

When I am a little older my back will probably make me reconsider. :P

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Don't get me wrong I also really really love the way my pilot flies, but I love the extra 600 feet the hornet gives me when compared to the 900+ foot openings of my pilot.

Do you have better place in the low-pull contest?;)

I love my Pilot's opening. I don't think I need a faster opening canopy. I think my Cobalt opens even longer.
Its really hard to call it opening shock.

I love my Hornet and I always get nice soft openings. I have a later model with the big slider, never been slammed.

I have also jumped the Pilot and they seem identical to me except the Hornet has the better fabric and is much easier to pack. I actually thought the pilot opened a bit faster but other than that they fly the same.

Not much difference between the two in my opinion. Well, except the Pilot costs twice as much[:/]

I really like my Hornet 170. You wouldn't believe what I paid for it. If I remember right it was something like $300. for a new, well constucted, canopy, from South Africa.

That was about four years back. It has the big slider, but I was still getting some slammer openings (at first). Possibly due to poor packing methods.

I started Psycho-packing, and this helped me keep everything neat (going into the bag). My openings now are on the fairly slow side. I kind of wish I had bought another one at that price

Some people say they are cheaply made, but I don't think so. Mine is holding together well.....Steve1