MJH

Bad Press in Phila. Inquirer on Cross Keys Fatalities

It might be messed up - but its true. We have posts on both of those things she mentioned in this forum, just today...

I guess I just don't understand why everyone is getting so worked up over an OPINION column. Anyone that honestly makes a firm opinion based on hers, is not worth your time getting so worked up about anyway. I'm surprised we're not getting this kind of reaction regarding a tandem fatality and its impact on the sport, or the impact this could have on CK as a business. She brings up valid points - yes, while getting jabs in on skydiving and its cohorts, but they are still valid points.

Jen
Arianna Frances

She did'nt take her opinion and put it out there, some one posted her opinion in this fourm. Basically expanding and changing the audience without her knowledge.

I posted Miss Kinney's opinion on this forum but, before that, she published her column on the World Wide Web. Having shared her views with an international audience, Miss Kinney can hardly complain when people from far-off places share their reactions with her.

I do agree, however, that people who write to Miss Kinney or the Inquirer should be polite. The woman wrote a half-baked opinion piece. For that, she deserves honest criticism, but no more.

I see your point and agree with it to a certain level.

Her letter was placed in forum with as wide an access as the internet can provide. She took her opinion out of the local community. She projected her view of skydivers as a whole, not just those at just Cross Keys.

News is different now that it's not just circulation numbers.

I have to agree with you Karen. I have non-skydiving friends all over the world/country... somehow out of the blue they will read an article on-line and call me to discuss. Luckily most of my friends are open minded enough to get an informed eduction on it, versus accepting what they are reading. My Grandmother just sent me a news article regarding skydiving in Canada???? :S

Although it is a direct impact on CK now, ultimately this will shockwave throughout the entire skydiving community.

It is very sad.... :S

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

Here's how I'm going to respond to her article, and all the other negative publicity this awful incident has generated:

I'm gonna head down to Crosskeys and jump my ass off this weekend. And I'm going to get as many people as I can to come with me.

And when I'm done jumping, I'm going to take off my shoes, grab some beer, and raise a toast (or two... or ten) in honor of PJ.

So there.

Great Idea:)
This incident, and article, have obviously affected much more people than just CK. The emotional response is natural considering she stereotyped and bad-mouthed a community of people that the general public does not have the luxury of getting to know other than through media. I think she has some responsibility to not make overarching generalizations, especially negative ones, that brand a group of people. It is similar to writing an article slandering and stereotyping communities of races or religion; those who belong to that culture will demand apology/rectification. We all know that the sport contains a wide array of people, and to pick one or two examples to judge and stereotype the entire community ignites emotional reaction.

If we "ignore" it, then many people who simply read the column and do not know skydivers, form false opinions based on that media. Sometimes these false opinions can drive the voters to policy:S
Jen

Fine, but where do you draw the line? Are we not allowed to get out over populated areas now? Fine, What about for demos, ok, no more demos? Is the plane allowed to fly over populated areas while it climbs to altitude? What about non skydiving planes, ok now we close most of the airports in the US? What do we determine to be populated? Is crosskeys populated, because of the trailer park to the east, and the housing to the north? Ok, what about Skydive Chicago, certainly not as dense, but I did manage to open over a farm house while I was there. Or at Perris, I might burn in on someone working the nearby farm fields.

This is a slippery slope that could lead to an effective ban of skydiving at 90 percent of the dzs out there.

As long as there is an airport in the area, there will be risk for people on the ground, and not just from skydivers. I think a better statement is that we have a responsibility to mittigate this risk as much as possible, but as long as we jump from airplanes there will always be the possibility that we may hurt someone on the ground, physically or emotionally.

Very well put.
We are all engines of karma

If you REALLY want to do something about this write your own letter or opinion piece and have the newspaper publish it. Putting your time or energy into an arguement that you don't even have a stake in is pointless.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

This incident, and article, have obviously affected much more people than just CK.

If the CK ownership are smart, they have well established connections within both the business and political community in their area.

This will pass.

Let's hope they have the tandem passenger smiling into the video camera as he read his waiver.

I appreciate both, especially when my columns make someone upset.

um... ok... this is kind of um... wrong some how...

it would seem that her goal in life is to upset people... :|

I don't know if it's her goal, but it's definitely her profession. If she didn't make people feel something strongly (be it agreement or disagreement), she'd quickly be out of a job.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

>Fine, but where do you draw the line? Are we not allowed to get
> out over populated areas now? Fine, What about for demos, ok,
> no more demos?

Nope. Put rules in place to protect crowds from demo jumpers. Perhaps even have a special rating for demo jumpers, so that people who pose a higher risk to spectators don't make such jumps. (which we have.)

>Is the plane allowed to fly over populated areas while it climbs to
>atitude?

Yes, as all GA aircraft are. Care must be paid to "land straight ahead" outs, so that you can minimize risks to people on the ground. It's better (of course) to land safely in an empty field if you lose power - but if it's a choice between a crowded beach or an empty forest, pilots should probably go for the forest even if it increases their odds of injury/death.

>This is a slippery slope that could lead to an effective ban
>of skydiving at 90 percent of the dzs out there.

I agree 100%. If the FAA ever starts passing rules like this, we are in serious trouble indeed. Which is why we should consider doing this stuff voluntarily - so that they don't need to pass such rules.

>I think a better statement is that we have a responsibility to
> mittigate this risk as much as possible, but as long as we jump
>from airplanes there will always be the possibility that we may
>hurt someone on the ground, physically or emotionally.

I agree. I hope that this incident will lead to people thinking more about how to avoid endangering people on the ground, even if everything goes badly.

>What is the problem?

Realistically? That we can injure someone on the ground when we screw up. Legally? FAR 91.15 gives one angle:

No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.

No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or
property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.

Are we already not taking reasonable precautions?
If not, what can be done better, in your opinion?

It might be messed up - but its true. We have posts on both of those things she mentioned in this forum, just today...
------------------------------------------------------
I disagree that it is true to the extent that the author has presented it. It is a gross generalization of the population of skydivers.
I know of and know plenty of skydivers whom are professional men and women that don't jump naked or drink and jump.
-------------------------------------------------------
I guess I just don't understand why everyone is getting so worked up over an OPINION column.
---------------------------------------------------
It is horrible enough that we have suffered the loss of two lives, but I feel as if the OPINION column is disrespectful to the deceased and their families--and disrespectful to the skydiving community as a whole. Regardless of whether the piece is an opinion or not, as a journalist, this lady should have had more integrity and respect.

>If not, what can be done better, in your opinion?

Better spotting. Avoidance of populated areas. More willingness to take a second pass. Heck, we could be dropping WDI's; they're invaluable when it comes to determining where the spot should be, and we used to start every day with a WDI drop to ensure good spots.