Parafoil27

Does anyone "Psycho Frog Modified Pack"?

I was shown this bagging method by a packer when i was learning to pack. Everything is the same as a pro pack but After you cacoon(same as Pro) the tail around the pack job you roll it like a psyco pack. I have done this since i learned how to pack and havn't had any problems . I was just wondering if anyone else does this????????????
EARTH! Short bus of the universe,
since the year T+10.3 billion!

REV. DUDEMIESTER D.S.#120

Hi Parafoil,
I am interested in knowing more about your packing method. I use the psycho packing method now and I LOVE it. It is so easy to get in the bag. Can you explain your pack job in more detail? If I understand what you are saying correctly you don't flip the canopy 180 degrees before rolling it up. Is that right?

Yes thats exactly right. No 180s. After you make your caccoon roll(pro pack method) and put the canopy on the floor. Squeez the canopy down to the width of the bag as you normally would for a pro pack. Then pull the bridal to the side just like a psycho pack and roll from the bridal end down just like the normal psycho pack. It's really just a pro pack with the canopy rolled rather than S-folded. I learned this from a packer. All i did was give it a name.

Does the canopy seem to stay together doing it that way and not squirt out the sides as you roll it? I know when I psycho pack I simply pro pack it up until it's time to lay it down. Then I flip it 180 degrees and lay it down (nose facing up). Then I criss-cross the corners of the tail across the entire canopy. This holds everything in place. Then I fold the ears over and roll it up. But I am definitely going to try it your way because I like the idea of not flipping the canopy and then having to flip it back.

I can't speak for everyone but to me it's a 100x easier than S-folding. The only thing is that you dont criss-cross it. While the lines are over your shoulder you Coccoon it as with the normal pro method. I havn't had any problem with fabric squirting out at all. In my opinion you get the best of both worlds. No 180s, no S-folds, and no fabric going crazy and jacking up your work.

I Just thought the frogs would want to be a part of this!
I also figured they can use this method next time it rains frogs so it doesn't hurt so damn bad when they hit the ground. ;)
Plus it's in that movie "Fandango"

It is more like a normal pro pack opening. The only difference is you roll instead of s-fold. Psycho or s-fold or roll pack seem to open the same for me but I have a Crossfire which is a very nice opening canopy. If you are looking to tame a beast, I know people who use the psycho with great results!

Hi riggerrob,
In your opinion, is that way just as good as the normal psycho pack? I do the normal psycho pack and have always wondered why it had to be flipped before laying it down. Could you give me some some insight on this? Thanks.

So that you have better access to the tail of the canopy to fold it over without pulling the steering lines out of place.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

What you're describing is a modified PRO pack. The guys I know who use it call it the Sleeping Bag Roll.

The parachute is laid nose-down and coccooned normally. The packer sits at the attachment point, looking down to the rig. Instead of S-folding, the parachute is lifted up against the chest and rolled down the topskin. The attachment point is pulled out with each roll so it stays where it normally would. At the bottom the standard first S-fold is induced.

The advantage of the sleeping bag is that it goes into the bag easily and intact, as does the psycho. When one is proficient, it is quicker than a PRO and even a psycho. The disadvantage is it is a pain in the ass because with the nose down, the parachute wants spread out and open as the roll is attempted/performed. Control is an issue. Pulling on the attachment point the whole time doesn't inspire confidence the packjob is remaining intact. The psycho doesn't have this problem.

I prefer the psycho because (a) it is fast, and (b) it gives me real control of the packjob = consistent, good openings. The whining about 180° induced linetwists is absurd. It's a small step in the packing procedure and if one is proficient at packing, it doesn't matter.

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

always wondered why it had to be flipped before laying it down.

You can roll it from the normal PRO coccoon. Flip the sides in, purge, pull the attachment point out and roll. If you're jumping new or slippery ZP you'll probably want to go back to the normal psycho.

I prefer the psycho because after it is flipped, I dress the nose and slider, then close it up and roll. This little step makes for absolutely consistent openings. It's a degree of control that is difficult to recreate with the PRO pack.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

NovaTTT,
When you say you dress the nose and close it up, I assume what you mean by "close it up" is criss-crossing the tail. That is what I do. My question is how can I be sure when I pull the corners of the tail across I am not pulling a line across with it and creating the possibility of a line-over?

I was shown this bagging method by a packer when i was learning to pack. Everything is the same as a pro pack but After you cacoon(same as Pro) the tail around the pack job you roll it like a psyco pack. I have done this since i learned how to pack and havn't had any problems .

I'm glad to hear that you are experimenting with new techniques. Even though you have only 28 jumps, that's the best way to learn in this sport. Don't be afraid to try new things.

You see, old farts like me have been doing things the same way for so long that we no longer know how to think "out of the box". But someone new like you, doesn't have any preconceptions to what may have come before. So you're free to re-invent the wheel, or even invent a brand new kind of wheel.

Someone had to be different at some point to invent what we now call the "Pro pack". Prior to that, the idea of packing while standing up was crazy. But because someone like you dared to be different, packing technology changed, and now everybody is doing it. Before you know it, everyone might be ditching their pro-pack job for the new psycho toad pack, and you'll be famous!

So I say, go for it! You might just be the guy that invents the next great leap forward in parachute technology!

To the moderators: Is that the kind of more up-beat politically-correct message that you want to see here? To heck with those stern warnings about new guys experimenting with things they know nothing about. I've learned my lesson from your deletion. I won't do that any more! From now on, I'm going to encourage new guys to experiment!

To the original poster: Then again, you might just become the latest victim in a long line of idiots who have failed to learn the lessons of the past, and gets themselves killed doing something stupid, despite warnings from experienced jumpers. Oh well...